Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Afternoons with my 1 year old are H.A.R.D.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:19 pm
She is the happiest baby in the morning (until nap time). Then she goes to the babysitter where she naps and plays. The babysitter always says she's happy and when I pick her up she looks happy.
As soon as I put her in the car seat it's fussy fussy kvetchy kvetchy. I give her a bottle, that helps for five minutes. I have to have food ready for her (what are some not-so-messy, healthy foods, btw? Not eggs, she's allergic. I could use easy ideas please! She just turned one.) so I heat up leftovers. She eats and after a few minutes kvetches and from then on she is fussy all afternoon until she has a bath (from 4:00-5:45). Non stop. I can't eat dinner, I can't warm up dinner for the rest of my family, I can't do anything without her crying or fussing- I need to be sitting on the floor next to her.
Advice?
(She could use another nap but she absolutely refuses to take one!)

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:24 pm
Awww I also have a 1yo daughter. It seems to me it may be clinginess slash insecurity. Is the sitter a new arrangement? Does she act different on weekends?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:35 pm
Sitter is not new - we've been sending for six months.
Weekends: she does get fussy on weekends too.

Bleemee

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:38 pm
What time is her first nap? And is she closer to 1 yo or 2?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sitter is not new - we've been sending for six months.
Weekends: she does get fussy on weekends too.

Fussy same time weekends? I suspect tired, or hungry. How many months old is she and what is her nap, meal and snack schedule? Does she drink well? Have regular bowel movements?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:54 pm
Bleemee wrote:
What time is her first nap? And is she closer to 1 yo or 2?

Just turned 1. First nap is 10-12. I know she could use another nap but she absolutely refuses.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:55 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Fussy same time weekends? I suspect tired, or hungry. How many months old is she and what is her nap, meal and snack schedule? Does she drink well? Have regular bowel movements?

I have to concentrate more on the weekends; Dh is home so I notice it less (I can have Dh with watch her while I eat or use the bathroom so it's not as overwhelming, so I notice it less.)

She eats and drinks well. Bowel movements are every few days which is normal for her.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 6:00 pm
Omg exactly the same here. My DD was one in December. She naps at about 10 for an hour and a half- 2 hours. REFUSES as second nap, but by 4:30ish she’s exhausted and so cranky.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 6:02 pm
Eats meal or snack every 2 to 3 hours? Drinks at least as often?
I think you hit the nail on the head When you said she could use another nap. Kids aged 12 to 15 months sometimes drop 2nd nap but some continue it, and need it. Would you consider shortening the 1st nap a drop, to about 1.5 hours, and seeing if she will go down 3 hours later? Also, a nap routine can help. As im writing this I cant remember what time she comes home from daycare.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 6:11 pm
She comes home at 3.
She refuses to nap, no matter how short her first nap is. She's been like this since she was born- she never took a second nap.

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 6:16 pm
Toddlers can be very hard. I have never been able to get much done with my baby or toddler at home. When my 2.5 year old gets home at 4 she needs my full attention until bedtime. It’s very draining for her to be out of the house from her mom all day. If she is only taking one nap a day I would try to gradually move it to midday, so it’s eventually at 12 or 1 and she can have a longer afternoon stretch without feeling exhausted

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 6:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have to concentrate more on the weekends; Dh is home so I notice it less (I can have Dh with watch her while I eat or use the bathroom so it's not as overwhelming, so I notice it less.)

She eats and drinks well. Bowel movements are every few days which is normal for her.

I thought bowel movements every few days was normal too but my pediatrician said it’s not normal for a child who is eating primarily solids and we should aim for once a day. Not sure if this is true for every kid but may be something to explore

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 6:18 pm
tichellady wrote:
I thought bowel movements every few days was normal too but my pediatrician said it’s not normal for a child who is eating primarily solids and we should aim for once a day. Not sure if this is true for every kid but may be something to explore

I'm going to try to be more on top of that
Can anyone post ideas of foods safe for a just turned 1 year old that are not too messy?

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 6:20 pm
Food ideas: vegetables and chicken from soup, cottage cheese, string cheese, yogurt, all fruit and veggies ( Can use frozen), applesauce, cereal and milk, oatmeal, banana and peanut butter, pasta with meat or lentil sauce, little pancakes ( can be frozen), baked sweet potatoes

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 6:39 pm
My dd is the same age- same issue. She takes on and off naps in the afternoon, and when she doesn't she is cranky. She also naps in the morning from about 10-12. I haven't changed that since I start work at 1 and that nap timing is perfect for me Smile

BUT, I know that really at the stage when a baby is starting to drop their second nap, you are supposed to slowly push the nap to mid-day like from 1-3 so they can last until bedtime. I think the method is by basically pusingh it off 15-20 min every few days so they get used to the timing.

The book "The Baby Whisperer" by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau has a detailed method on this as well as a ton of information regarding sleeping/scheduling/feeding/toilet training..etc starting from newborn to toddler. IT LITERALLY CHANGED MY LIFE.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics