Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What to look for in a high chair?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 8:29 am
Ftm, not in the US or Israel, so I'm not necessarily looking for brand specific (but feel free to recommend and I'll look if it's here) but what do you look for in a high chair? Baby will have to start eating solids soon and not sure where to begin....

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 8:39 am
A tray that can be removed and replaced with only one hand.

If you have limited space - something that folds small. Also a one hand fold is nice. Chances are there will be a child in your other hand Smile

If you don’t like researching and buying baby stuff find one that converts to a booster.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 8:40 am
1. Easy to clean - this is the most important factor
2. Small footprint
3. Easy to store once child is older

I have read very good reviews with the ikea high chair
This is one baby item I would absolutely not spend a lot of money on

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 8:49 am
This checks all of our boxes!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gra.....rId=0

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 9:26 am
Easy to clean!!!! I bought a really nice high chair for my first-it had padded fabric (wipe clean granted), reclined, was big and sturdy. I hated it. Crumbs used to get stuck in the creases, the wipe clean fabric was difficult to wipe and didn't come off so I couldn't even put it in the washing machine.

I bought a booster seat that sits on a regular chair instead. It doesn't stick out like the highchairs do, I can push the child right to the table, or use the tray. It's plastic so really easy to wipe down. And the booster folds up if I don't need it. This is what I have and I'm really happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-.....r=8-2

Most people I know just have the ikea highchair. I like that you can buy additional trays for it (like milk/meat separate). It also goes in the dishwasher so it's even easier to clean.

trixx

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 9:37 am
Ikea high chair, all the way.

lucky14

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 12:04 am
trixx wrote:
Ikea high chair, all the way.

Yes. Something that is easy to clean. A tray that is close enough and at the right level to the child that they can reach the food easily on their own.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 12:09 am
Easy to reattach after putting in washer!

anonimom

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 1:16 am
IKEA high chair is great for older babies who sit well. But, if your baby is still very young you might want a seat that reclines.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 1:25 am
Does anyone know specifically which Ikea high chair? It looks like they have a few.

bwaybabe85

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 7:35 am
You’ll want a seat that reclines if your baby doesn’t sit up yet.
Look for one that you can buy extra trays. That way you can have separate ones for milchig and fleishig, and for pesach too. Trying to cover the tray for pesach was so difficult!
Also look and see if you can buy replacement seat covers so when one gets dirty and is in the wash, you have a clean one you can use.
We used fisher price space saver high chairs that attach to a regular chair and were happy with them.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 7:47 am
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/a.....8434/

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 7:59 am
Foot rest
I ordered one separately for my ikea highchair

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 8:01 am
anonimom wrote:
IKEA high chair is great for older babies who sit well. But, if your baby is still very young you might want a seat that reclines.

Why would a baby be reclined while eating?
FYI the ikea highchair has a great blowup support cushion if needed

bsy

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 8:35 am
No fabric
Small footprint, Ikea one isnt great for this
I like wheels
The only high chair I like is the imitation prince castle one. Alternatively, a small booster that goes on a chair also works, but again without fabric

Frumme

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 8:41 am
If you're prone to bump into things like I am, stay away from the IKEA highchair. It's easy to clean and is very minimalist, but the legs stick out in such a way that I was tripping over it!

Then I had a huge sturdy wooden highchair which was such a pain to clean and was super heavy, not to mention it was another piece of furniture that needed a home when not in use.

I like the Fischer Price Healthy Start booster seat. Easy to clean, compact, comes with a tray, replacement/extra trays are very easy to order from Mattel. Yes you have to have a chair for it but it goes on and off easily if you need the chair for something else. You can even just attach it to a folding chair and it'll be fine

mommy9

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 8:42 am
A tray that pulls out so you don't have to remove it to take the baby out.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 9:03 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
Why would a baby be reclined while eating?
FYI the ikea highchair has a great blowup support cushion if needed

A bootle fed baby can lean back and drink her bottle. Again, this is for a younger baby. The one I linked to above has this feature as is great for our 5 month old still gets to feel past lf our family table. IKEA doesn’t have enough trunk suppler for my baby. Plus I personally think it’s takes up too much floor space (the legs) I’ve used it in hotels for older children many times and thought so each time but everyone’s homes are set up
Differently

amother
White

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 9:13 am
Durability. I have the same high chair for almost 10 years now and my mother has hers, which is the same, probably over 20 years. It's great and has removable trays. So easy to clean and it just lasts and lasts and lasts.

My mother in law bought me a second, beautiful wooden one to match our dining room furniture and it only lasts for 2 children, so she keeps replacing it, because it gets worn. It costs double the money and just doesn't last. I personally wouldn't need this high chair as well, but my mother in law is insistent on buying one whenever she comes and sees it's worn.

The ikea high chair is not sturdy. I have sisters who bought it and it is not so wow in my opinion. The blow up insert works for young babies.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Durability. I have the same high chair for almost 10 years now and my mother has hers, which is the same, probably over 20 years. It's great and has removable trays. So easy to clean and it just lasts and lasts and lasts.

My mother in law bought me a second, beautiful wooden one to match our dining room furniture and it only lasts for 2 children, so she keeps replacing it, because it gets worn. It costs double the money and just doesn't last. I personally wouldn't need this high chair as well, but my mother in law is insistent on buying one whenever she comes and sees it's worn.

The ikea high chair is not sturdy. I have sisters who bought it and it is not so wow in my opinion. The blow up insert works for young babies.

Are most people having babies over a 20’uear span that they need to keep one for that long?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics