Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Gluten free homemade food
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 9:47 am
Hi my 3 year old has celiac and I’m looking for a delicious gluten free challah/ rolls recipes. She doesn’t really like matza. Also what’s the best tasting gluten free cholent? What would I substitute the barley for? Also does anyone have a wholesome breakfast muffin recipe that’s gluten free?
Thanks in advance!

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 9:57 am
I use Rorie's oat dough mix to make mini challah rolls in cupcake tins, they taste much better than any of the frozen ones they sell. But not sure how delicious they are in general (it's my husband who's gf).
For cholent, I use short grain brown rice instead of barley. Just use exactly how you would use the barley. It really makes no difference at all and if you don't tell anyone they probably won't even notice!
I'm not a big baker so I don't make muffins, but there are some great recipes that use almond flour.

It's hard in the beginning but once you get the hang of it gf is not such a big deal. B"H in the more recent years there's been an explosion in gf kosher food and almost every restaurant can offer you something! Oh and enjoy pesach Smile

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 10:02 am
Forgot to mention, I follow the recipe on the Rorie's bag exactly

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I use Rorie's oat dough mix to make mini challah rolls in cupcake tins, they taste much better than any of the frozen ones they sell. But not sure how delicious they are in general (it's my husband who's gf).
For cholent, I use short grain brown rice instead of barley. Just use exactly how you would use the barley. It really makes no difference at all and if you don't tell anyone they probably won't even notice!
I'm not a big baker so I don't make muffins, but there are some great recipes that use almond flour.

It's hard in the beginning but once you get the hang of it gf is not such a big deal. B"H in the more recent years there's been an explosion in gf kosher food and almost every restaurant can offer you something! Oh and enjoy pesach Smile

Thank you so much!! I will check it out.
If anyone has other ideas, pls respond. Thx

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 11:39 am
We do the rories too, best tasting by far. I use the ratios for extra fluffy rolls.

For breakfast muffins, google paleo muffins. I like most or paleo running mommas recipes.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 11:52 am
Katz has GF challot, and you can add brown rice instead of barley to the tcholent.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 2:09 pm
Thanks

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 2:37 pm
For breakfast muffins, I don't have the exact measurements but I like making a mix of ripe bananas, eggs and oat flour ( just blend oats and you get oat flour). It's easy, tasty and healthy!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 2:38 pm
We use gluten free oats in cholent. I find it comes out less mushy than rice.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 3:10 pm
We don’t bother with bread, she prefers rice cakes. I do buy pitot from Osher Ad.
For cholent it’s half a can of beans (in tomato sauce or navy beans), meat, spices, potatoes and a whole small sweet potato.
I make her rice or GF pasta as a side if we are having gluten.
I did a Google search for GF muffins, and it was better than my normal recipe.
Muffins ans pancakes are great and easy to make and freeze.

AllThings

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 3:39 pm
Not muffins or challa, but these are amazing, you can also make it in a pan and cut into bars after baking.

Also, there are lot's of gf flours out there, you can experiment when baking, different ones come out as different textures (heavier/lighter, more moist vs dry...) so you'll want to use different ones, depending on what you're baking.

My mother always uses brown rice in the cholent (my sis and I have Celiac), but now when I make it, I sometimes add a little white rice too. You can experiment with that too, each family has different preferences on the texture they like.

pizza4

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 4:11 pm
I always made cholent without barley and we like it like that, sometimes I add in rice and noone can tell.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi my 3 year old has celiac and I’m looking for a delicious gluten free challah/ rolls recipes. She doesn’t really like matza. Also what’s the best tasting gluten free cholent? What would I substitute the barley for? Also does anyone have a wholesome breakfast muffin recipe that’s gluten free?
Thanks in advance!

Short grain brown rice, or short grain white rice (aka sushi rice) is an excellent sub for barley (though the rice needs less water than barley).

trixx

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 4:23 pm
Now is the season to buy anything gf! The pesach market is crazy.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:16 pm
There was a frozen brand of GF challah that I liked when I did a GF trial. I forgot the name but it was a small brand I think.
Also, I think the ancient grains brand had a tricolor GF pasta I loved
And they made a quinoa oatmeal that was yum
And I had two other GF oatmeal’s by a different brand that were good
Enjoy life products are often yum!

AllThings

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:22 pm
Might not be nogeia for a 3-year old but if you're buying rolls, might want to double-check whether or not they're homotzi, even if they're marketed as 'challa'

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:52 pm
Thanks everyone for all the info!

asweet

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 6:48 pm
I also use rorie for the Challa it's really the best. I've tried many types. It's easy just follow the recipe on the package I use a scooper and use 3 scoops in a Bilkele pan. Spray with oil first. I let it rise about 2 hours so it grows and its fluffier
Egg it and add sesames
Bake.

What recipe are you looking for?
The easiest way to get comfortable is to buy a gf flour that is a cup for a cup replacement. Make sure that it includes a gum. Then you can use any recipe that you are used to and replace the flour. In general a recipe with less flour will taste better. Chocolate cupcakes are great.

Re cholent, I use a potato just cube it. I don't use rice. It's always good!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 7:28 pm
asweet wrote:
I also use rorie for the Challa it's really the best. I've tried many types. It's easy just follow the recipe on the package I use a scooper and use 3 scoops in a Bilkele pan. Spray with oil first. I let it rise about 2 hours so it grows and its fluffier
Egg it and add sesames
Bake.

What recipe are you looking for?
The easiest way to get comfortable is to buy a gf flour that is a cup for a cup replacement. Make sure that it includes a gum. Then you can use any recipe that you are used to and replace the flour. In general a recipe with less flour will taste better. Chocolate cupcakes are great.

Re cholent, I use a potato just cube it. I don't use rice. It's always good!

Got it, all this is new to me... so I bake these wholesome breakfast muffins for myself and my other kids. There’s oats and whole-wheat flour in it. Obv I can use gf oats but which type of flour would u say I should use instead of the ww flour?

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Got it, all this is new to me... so I bake these wholesome breakfast muffins for myself and my other kids. There’s oats and whole-wheat flour in it. Obv I can use gf oats but which type of flour would u say I should use instead of the ww flour?
Bobs red mill makes a really good 1-1 gf flour mix.

Canyon bake house makes incredible breads and bagels. Made Good has a great line of gf granola bars and cookies. Enjoy life and simple mills cookies are great too. Birch benders pancake and waffle mix, or rories grain free mix makes awesome pancakes and waffles.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics