Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do you have shas etc?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you have a whole set of shas
Yes  
 84%  [ 129 ]
No  
 15%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 152

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:30 pm
There's no point to having books that won't be used. For what--to show off? Whom are you fooling? A brief conversation will soon show the truth. A Tanach is one thing, and shas is another. Shas takes up five times the space and costs ten times as much; if you're not going to use it, spend the money on something you will use, be it Tanach or mishnayos or books on practical halacha. If you, your dh or your dc decide to delve into the sea of Talmud, buy one volume at a time. Buying shas for someone with no interest in learning gemara is like buying a professional kitchen for someone with no interest in cooking.

cbsp

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:48 pm
zaq wrote:
There's no point to having books that won't be used. For what--to show off? Whom are you fooling? A brief conversation will soon show the truth. A Tanach is one thing, and shas is another. Shas takes up five times the space and costs ten times as much; if you're not going to use it, spend the money on something you will use, be it Tanach or mishnayos or books on practical halacha. If you, your dh or your dc decide to delve into the sea of Talmud, buy one volume at a time. Buying shas for someone with no interest in learning gemara is like buying a professional kitchen for someone with no interest in cooking.

Shas is the counterpart to tanach. Together they represent Torah.

It's not just "books"

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:57 pm
We have two sets. One that my parents bought him when we were engaged, I believe it's Oz V'Hadar, and an Artscroll English set that he bought himself since he learns daf yomi. Usage aside, I think all Jewish homes should have sefarim. They show what you value and possibly aspire to, even if you are not there yet.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:35 pm
cbsp wrote:
Shas is the counterpart to tanach. Together they represent Torah.

It's not just "books"

it is if you're not using them.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:36 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
We have two sets. One that my parents bought him when we were engaged, I believe it's Oz V'Hadar, and an Artscroll English set that he bought himself since he learns daf yomi. Usage aside, I think all Jewish homes should have sefarim. They show what you value and possibly aspire to, even if you are not there yet.

Sefarim, of course. A full set of shas? Not necessarily.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:56 pm
My parents bought a set for him when we were engaged. They got a good deal on a nice one but my husband was too uncomfortable (understandably) to say that it wasn't his ideal one. He also didn't realize that the one he wanted would have been cheaper than the one we got him. (We got him an Oz Vhadar but he likes a Vilna I think). He buys the Vilna type for kollel so he doesn't use ours as his main. He always tells me he's happy to have ours and uses it to look things up often. And he said after kollel he'll mostly use ours. But Im still kicking myself for not asking him if there was one he would have liked better.

sari00

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:57 pm
I think it inspires learning- something about having a set of shas brings feelings of aspiration + Machshiv Torah...

silbergirl

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:24 pm
We do not have financial support and can only afford buying one or two volumes at a time and my husband prefers the Talman edition that is out of print and hard to find. We have to order every sefer from abroad, which complicates the matter further. Long story short, we have about 3/4 of the whole shas, but not everything at this point. My husband uses sefaria in place of what he does not have or learns in the beis medrash (he is in kollel 3 hours every day).
We are getting there...
All in all with other seforim, we do have a sizeable seforim selection, though

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:16 pm
my husband had donated a shas to a shul. when I think we were engaged the shul was closing down and offered him the shas so he got it but not for me and I don't think it's considered a chasans shas but it's what he uses for his chavrusah.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 4:46 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I'm shocked to read this, coming from you. What if the guy is not going to be learning, but his wife is?

Also, even if you aren't kovei'a itim, it is good to have a Shas -- at least a full Gemara, but preferably with the mefarshim in the back -- when you go to a shiur and you want to look things up. And similarly for Tur, Shulchan Aruch, Mishna Berura, etc.

It's expensive and takes a lot of space. We devote most of our wall space to bookcases, and I think it's well worth it. But if you can't get all of that, sefaria.org is a great resource that you can use except for on Shabbat and Yom Tov.
Huh? This was a question asked about a husband learning shas.
Of course if someone else is learning it they should have it. Not sure why so shocked by what I wrote.

And I am only seeing this now.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 4:56 am
Anyhoo if someone is willing to sponsor me a shas... let me know artscroll is a much for balebatim x] sounds like we have to have it anyway because otherwise we are not a frum household.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyhoo if someone is willing to sponsor me a shas... let me know artscroll is a much for balebatim x] sounds like we have to have it anyway because otherwise we are not a frum household.
please dont think that way. There are so many FRUM households with no shas.

Rappel

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 6:36 am
Every Sefer we have in our home has been learned by at least one of us, or is in the midst of being learned.

No, we do not have a set of shas. Maybe someday, but we're not there yet.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 6:40 am
DH is learning in kollel so he didn't want the big fancy chosson shas but the regular kind they use in yeshiva. We bought it and every time he learns a mesechta, he has it bound first so it shouldn't get ruined. You can tell how much of shas he has finished by how many of the seforim are bound. Wink

I don't know if he'll ever finish though because he's done a few of them multiple times and is focusing on halacha now. I don't know if he'll ever do kodshim since he's not in a Brisker yeshiva.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics