Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Great new Jewish novels
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 7:35 pm
Need riveting novels for pesach. Traveling out of the country and will be in quarantine for pesach. Plz recommend !!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:09 pm
Not a novel but there's a new biography out about Rav Grossman shlita of Migdal Ha'emek.

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:53 pm
I've heard pride and preference recommended before.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:53 pm
Ariella Schiller, Ruth Arielli Rappaport, Riva Pomerantz, Batya Ruddell - all their books are riveting novels. Not sure which ones you've read..but I like all!

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 10:32 pm
Also bloodline by Ruthie pearlman and stories from Aden

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 11:19 pm
Ty, read pride and preference, was ok . Dislike Ruthie pearlman novels . Don’t like thrillers really. Very much like well written quality works . See there’s not much new available unfortunately as I have read almost everything published through sukkos ;-)
Any other ideas? Ty!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 12:33 am
The advertisements for new Jewish books look mostly like kids' books, I think as well as a few non fiction ones.

I will plan to buy all the magazines (I usually just buy 1 for Shabbos) and honestly am going to buy a few non-Jewish books--some of my favorite authors have new books that have just been published that I've been looking forward to reading. Let me know if you'd like names. I'm a picky reader, too, and don't have patience for the typical churned out bestseller lol.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:11 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
The advertisements for new Jewish books look mostly like kids' books, I think as well as a few non fiction ones.

I will plan to buy all the magazines (I usually just buy 1 for Shabbos) and honestly am going to buy a few non-Jewish books--some of my favorite authors have new books that have just been published that I've been looking forward to reading. Let me know if you'd like names. I'm a picky reader, too, and don't have patience for the typical churned out bestseller lol.

Here’s my challenge because on yt and shabbos I try to only read Jewish literature and I’m really trying to stop myself from just ordering two new novels from Amazon. That’s why I’m reaching out for recommendations...

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Here’s my challenge because on yt and shabbos I try to only read Jewish literature and I’m really trying to stop myself from just ordering two new novels from Amazon. That’s why I’m reaching out for recommendations...

Can you go to the bookstore? Often new books come out before yomtov and it’s possible that people don’t know what’s new and good yet.
If you never read a old book called Search my Heart I highly recommend it. A newish book I read recently was Stay With Me.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 2:00 pm
I love Etka Gitel Schwartz, but she hasn't put out anything new recently. The Wedding Manager came out last year Pesach, and there's been nothing since. Which is a shame, because I'm dying to read The Gray Lines!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:00 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Can you go to the bookstore? Often new books come out before yomtov and it’s possible that people don’t know what’s new and good yet.
If you never read a old book called Search my Heart I highly recommend it. A newish book I read recently was Stay With Me.

Search My Heart is unfortunately out of print and very difficult to find a used copy--if you search online the few copies available are probably well over $100. I lucked out a few years ago and found a copy for $50 or so.
There is the sequel, though, that is still in print and is a good read: Family Secrets. Author is Sarah Birnhack.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Search My Heart is unfortunately out of print and very difficult to find a used copy--if you search online the few copies available are probably well over $100. I lucked out a few years ago and found a copy for $50 or so.
There is the sequel, though, that is still in print and is a good read: Family Secrets. Author is Sarah Birnhack.

I don’t think family secrets is a sequel. Same author though
I go to a Jewish library in Lakewood and I saw a copy there recently

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:08 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I don’t think family secrets is a sequel. Same author though
I go to a Jewish library in Lakewood and I saw a copy there recently

It is a connected book. Tells the family history of the husband of the main character in Search My Heart.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 5:01 pm
Ty, I’ve read almost every Jewish book published. No jokes. That’s why I’m stuck looking for new releases... def read all the books mentioned above

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty, I’ve read almost every Jewish book published. No jokes. That’s why I’m stuck looking for new releases... def read all the books mentioned above

I believe you. I have, too. That's why I gave up years ago on only reading Jewish books on Shabbos and YT. It made me depressed to be bored and have no diversion for endless hours at a time, it wasn't good for me.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 5:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty, read pride and preference, was ok . Dislike Ruthie pearlman novels . Don’t like thrillers really. Very much like well written quality works . See there’s not much new available unfortunately as I have read almost everything published through sukkos ;-)
Any other ideas? Ty!

Can you recommend some of the ones you've read?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 5:07 pm
And that is the reason I subscribed to all the magazines and jewish newspapers!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 5:10 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
And that is the reason I subscribed to all the magazines and jewish newspapers!

I did that, too for a few years. But, eventually, I cut down to the one that I still felt was readable and kept my attention. The others did not. I won't mention names. Anyway, it still wasn't enough, definitely not for a 3 day YT.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 5:15 pm
Lucette Lagnado is excellent. It’s not the same as Judaic literature but she was very Jewish and a gripping writer. She wrote about Jewish Cairo, and also an excellent book about Mengele children.

ETA: I read through Jewish fiction very quickly so I have branched out to add nonfiction and self help. Also I loved Pride and Preference.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 5:17 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Lucette Lagnado is excellent. It’s not the same as Judaic literature but she was very Jewish and is an excellent gripping writer.

Yes, I recommend her 2 books of memoirs. Sad reads, but quite well written. (Sadly, she died not that long ago.(
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room