Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Baked Apples?

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 12:30 pm
I thought of serving baked apples as dessert the first night of Rosh Hashana. Does anyone have a good recipe for me?

basmalkah

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 1:06 pm
When I make baked apples I usually just sprinkle the apples w/ cinnamon and honey. It is a good idea to core the apples first. You could fill the middle w/ raisins - and I have heard of putting the apple into phillo dough - to make it a little fancier.

stem

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 1:14 pm
I have an awesome recipe for baked apples wrapped in puff pastry dough, with a honey sauce. I make it every year for RH dessert.
Interested?

Chanie

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 1:16 pm
please post, that might be just the right desset

stem

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 2:14 pm
Puff pastry dough, rolled thin and cut into circles.
6 medium firm apples

filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. margarine
1 tsp. honey
(dates - optional)

Peel and core apples, leaving them whole. Place each apple in the center of a circle of dough. Mix filling ingredients. Put some filling inside the hollow core of each of the apples. (I place a date in the middle of each apple as well.) Fold dough around each apple and seal at the top. Place in greased baking pan.

Sauce:
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbsp. margarine
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup honey

Bring sauce ingredients to boil. Continue to boil for 3 minutes. Pour sauce AROUND apples (not on top). Bake at 450' for 10 minutes. Bake at 350' another 40-50 minutes. Serve warm with sauce drizzeled on top of each apple.

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

chochma73

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 2:51 pm
I have another reciepe that I really enjoy and is very quick to make - the only thing is you have to have a microwave. The reciepe is this:

4 large Rome or Cortland apples (about 10 ounces each)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
2 tablespoons chopped dates
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons butter or margarine
1. Core apples, cutting out a 1 1/4-inch-diameter cylinder from center of each, cutting almost but not all the way through to bottom. Remove peel from top third of each apple. Place apples in shallow 1 1/2-quart ceramic casserole or microwave-safe 8-inch square baking dish.
2. In small bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, dates, and cinnamon. Fill apple cavities with equal amounts of oat mixture. (Mixture will spill over tops of apples.) Dot each apple with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
3. Microwave apples, covered, on Medium-High (70% power) until tender, 12 to 14 minutes, turning each apple halfway through cooking time. To serve, spoon cooking liquid from baking dish over apples.

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 4:54 pm
Wow, these sound fantastic! Thanks!!

elisecohen

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 7:28 pm
Just don't use too much clove...for sukkos when I was a kallah (our anniversary is dalet b'MarCheshvan, just 2 weeks later), I made lovely baked apples to serve my chosson and other guests and put in so much cloves it numbed his mouth completely! We still laugh about it whenever we think of eating warm apple desserts in the sukkah!

sarahd

Post Wed, Oct 05 2005, 4:06 pm
stem - I made your recipe and my husband was crazy over it (me too.) Thanks!

stem

Post Wed, Oct 05 2005, 10:11 pm
Thank you! I made it too, and it was a huge hit.

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 12:24 am
Thats it I am gonna now try both recipes they sound mouthwatering Smile

HooRYou

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 5:42 am
I make a recipe similar to chochma73's but the filling is just oatmeal or granola, raisins, honey or brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon. I peel and core the apples, and bake them in the oven with either a little apple cider or spicy herbal tea poured into the baking pan. Simple and yummy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics