Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Joyva- What does this mean?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 5:42 pm
I was in the store the other day and saw this on the back of a Joyva product (marshmallow twists). Does anyone follow this ruling (kitniyos allowed in small amounts)? If so, what's your background?

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE: LIQUEFIED LEGUMOUS EXTRACTS, E.G.. CORN SYRUP. IN KOSHER FOR PASSOVER FOODS, ARE FULLY SANCTIONED FOR ASHKENAZIM AND SEPHARDIM ALIKE BY PREEMINENT ORTHODOX HALACHIC AUTHORITIES, INCLUDING THE RENOWED POSEK HADOR, R. YITZCHAK ELCHANON SPECTOR, ZTL
(in caps because text copied straight from image)

This is just out of curiosity and open-mindedness, not to begin a halachic debate or to make anyone feel bad. Just honestly would like to learn more about the customs of other Jews.

(Mods, feel free to move to the Kashrus or "respectfully learning about other Jews" forum. I felt it fit in Pesach since it's specifically about pesach)

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 5:45 pm
I've never heard of it... and I don't eat kitniyos. I'm a dutch BT who got frum in chabad, married a litvak and we following standard ashkenazi minhagim... .

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 5:59 pm
I don't think you'll find an OU-P on such a product.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 6:17 pm
Who’s haskacha is on the package?
Also, did you find this at Shoprite or your local butcher?

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 6:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was in the store the other day and saw this on the back of a Joyva product (marshmallow twists). Does anyone follow this ruling (kitniyos allowed in small amounts)? If so, what's your background?

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE: LIQUEFIED LEGUMOUS EXTRACTS, E.G.. CORN SYRUP. IN KOSHER FOR PASSOVER FOODS, ARE FULLY SANCTIONED FOR ASHKENAZIM AND SEPHARDIM ALIKE BY PREEMINENT ORTHODOX HALACHIC AUTHORITIES, INCLUDING THE RENOWED POSEK HADOR, R. YITZCHAK ELCHANON SPECTOR, ZTL
(in caps because text copied straight from image)

This is just out of curiosity and open-mindedness, not to begin a halachic debate or to make anyone feel bad. Just honestly would like to learn more about the customs of other Jews.

(Mods, feel free to move to the Kashrus or "respectfully learning about other Jews" forum. I felt it fit in Pesach since it's specifically about pesach)

No.

Rav Yitzchok Elchonon Spector was indeed a posek haDor and a Gaon Olam.

However, in this day and age, when there are prominent kashrus poskim and agencies who've set the standard for kashrus today, to quote a Gaon from a previous generation is very telling.

There's a reason why the hechsher on it is not universally accepted for Pesach.

On the other hand, we do eat it after and very much enjoy when the local supermarkets put it on sale with their other "kosher for passover" items.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 6:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Quote:

The issue is not kitniyot in small amounts. I'm not sure if the concept of batel b'shishim can be applied to kitniyot. The issue is what is known as מי קיטניות, liquid extracted from kitniyot. There are extensive halachic discussions about it, with well known Rabbanim ruling in each direction.

The issur of kitniyot is based on the fact that they can be ground down to a substance resembling flour. Thus there was the risk of confusing the two, or of ma'aris ayin.

Liquid extracted from kitniyot bears no resemblance to flour, and cannot be directly identified as being related to the original grain. If you were to see an unlabeled bottle of corn syrup or cottonseed oil, you wouldn't immediately identify it as having any resemblance to corn or cotton seed. There is also no risk of confusing corn syrup with flour. Thus there is room to justify the use of mei kitnioyot on Pesach for Ashkenazim.

Different hashgachas follow different rulings. As always, if you are not sure, ask your Rav.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 7:21 pm
Thank you everyone for the well detailed answers! How fascinating!

I know that I don't hold by it but didn't know why. This clears things up. Yes it was at a ShopRite-like grocery (not a kosher market) where I found this product.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics