Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Help. What to feed baby on Pesach?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:03 pm
I'm starting to get really nervous for Pesach. No idea what I will be able to feed my baby. He is 1 year old.
The only things he eats are chometz.

He is allergic to dairy, eggs, fish and some nuts. He does not like chicken, chicken soup or potatoes (I've tried..). In general he does not like trying new foods.
Looking for ideas from experienced moms.
TIA

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm starting to get really nervous for Pesach. No idea what I will be able to feed my baby. He is 1 year old.
The only things he eats are chometz.

He is allergic to dairy, eggs, fish and some nuts. He does not like chicken, chicken soup or potatoes (I've tried..). In general he does not like trying new foods.
Looking for ideas from experienced moms.
TIA

Ask a shaila and see if you can give him kitniyis? What do you usually feed him?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:07 pm
Sweet potato, avocado, beef, banana, butternut squash

hodeez

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:08 pm
Matzah, potato buns, meat, avocadoes, any finger foods you can get him to try. When my son was that age and allergic he basically survived on soy milk bottles and sweet potatoes( my son was allergic to quite literally everything)

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:18 pm
Fruit smoothies, fruit salad, yogurt.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:19 pm
Clementines and blueberries were popular on pesach with my allergy kiddo in the past.
I know that’s not enough to survive on though- just ideas.
Oh, and mandarin orange cans, applesauce- regular strawberry, and cherry, and fruit cups.

This year I’m going to see if there’s frozen fruit as well.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:20 pm
IIRC the yum yum potato starch crackers were egg free and nut free - of course check for yourself!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:33 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Ask a shaila and see if you can give him kitniyis? What do you usually feed him?

I did and I was told that I could. I think the challenge would be to find KLP kitnios foods.

The two foods he eats are oatmeal and cholent. I'm serious. Just those two.
He refuses applesauce, sweet potatoes, bananas, avocados, baby jars, etc.
He will occasionally deign to eat a cracker or some other snack. But mostly he pushes them away.
But I will keep on trying.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did and I was told that I could. I think the challenge would be to find KLP kitnios foods.

The two foods he eats are oatmeal and cholent. I'm serious. Just those two.
He refuses applesauce, sweet potatoes, bananas, avocados, baby jars, etc.
He will occasionally deign to eat a cracker or some other snack. But mostly he pushes them away.
But I will keep on trying.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

At least the two foods he eats are very nutritious!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:51 pm
Pears, steamed broccoli, or carrots, roasted or sauteed zucchini, baked apples, quinoa, avocado. Maybe try cooking sweet potato or potato in different ways (roasted vs boiled, cut or spiced differently). Meatballs? I would keep trying with chicken soup and things like that too--it takes a while to like a new food sometimes.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:52 pm
That’s so challenging...
Hope you find something he likes
Does he still drink formula?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:52 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
At least the two foods he eats are very nutritious!

Yup. Im good with them. I keep the cholent from shabbos in the fridge all week and warm some up in the microwave each night. He eats oatmeal for breakfast and sometimes lunch.
Also sometimes he will eat dairy substitute yogurt, like soy or almond based. So that is a third food.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:53 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
That’s so challenging...
Hope you find something he likes
Does he still drink formula?

Never did. Im still nursing him several times a day.

trixx

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:54 pm
I'd start introducing him to new foods, just offering them. Any fruit, veggies etc. If you offer consistently for the next 2 weeks hopefully he'll deign to eat on pesach. Also, lots of klp products, crackers etc.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:59 pm
No way!! My daughter is a bit older but those are her two things she eats + macaroni which isn’t a great help for pesach.

I also started getting really nervous this week. She wakes up screaming for oatmeal and is already off formula so she really needs to eat.

I did buy the potato starch ‘oatmeal’ but highly doubt it’s going to work.

Anyone know where to find kitniot klp in monsey? Want to get bamba and maybe see if they have a pasta option or something. So desperate.

dankbar

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:39 am
Maybe you can try the rice cereal instead of oatmeal

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:07 am
I totally get your stress. My toddler is very small and literally ate less than 200 calories a day last pesach each day. But she was ok. One week of a baby or toddler not eating well is ok. Definitely worth thinking of ideas but I think also important to remember they can pick up on your stress about food and sometimes fight that by not eating. Try to accept that baby will be ok even without eating much for one week. Plenty of babies at that age don’t even eat solids

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:09 am
Make cholent for him with brown rice

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:46 am
Interesting to note that the foods he likes are of similar texture

jfk92

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:40 am
Dont give up on chicken yet. id try serving it different ways. Ground dark meat doesnt need egg binding, season and fry into nuggets he can feed himself, you can coat in matzah meal as a nugget. Generally white meat takes on the flavor from how you cook itm perhaps try a different flavor profile. If youve tried savory, maybe a little sweet?
Same w potatoe- I havent met a kid who's refused a fry. Theres a million different ways to serve- latke, mash, fries, baked, roasted. Perhaps try a different method. I believe you've tried but for the sake of pesach sanity, you might want to give those another few tries.

Bkfst- non dairy yogurt if there is kosher for pesach? Or smoothie you make w almond(if hes allowed/if not soy (speak to rav) milk and fruits. Mashed Banana applesauce, the milk you can use, and some potatoe starch can be made into a gummy, but still good tasting crepe. Matzah with jam.Brown rice pudding ( I see u can use it)

Lunch- meatballs, diy veggie burger (esp if a rav allows him kitniyot), sides like kosher for pesach quinoa or spaghetti squash, avocado on matzah w fresh veg. Baked sweet potato/can also bake as fries. Vegetable soups you can add lentils/beans that are kitniyot.

Dinner: pepper steak/stew (I use meat that cooks for a long time on low and ends up very soft). Zucchini fritters w other veg. Rice w meat.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics