Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Help. What to feed baby on Pesach?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:19 am
Make him chulent with quinoa instead of barley.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:30 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:

Anyone know where to find kitniot klp in monsey? Want to get bamba and maybe see if they have a pasta option or something. So desperate.

This year Evergreen has a decent selection in the tent.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:50 am
Sit him at the table anytime a meal is being served and give him a bit of each. Don’t expect him to eat, but it’s great if he does.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:09 am
Def ask about kitnyios, even if just for soy milk.

Are there any nuts he can have? One of our favorite pesach recipes for the allergic child are "granola bars" from cooked quinoa and nut butter with some honey added.

My chicken hating kid will eat shnitzel- can be made with matzah meal or crushed potato chips.

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:30 am
Ds lived on silk yogurts and jarred baby food his second pesach. I called the ou, and they told me that silk was fine for kitniyus. This was 13 years ago, so it may pay for you to call the ou yourself to find out what's still good.

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did and I was told that I could. I think the challenge would be to find KLP kitnios foods.

OP, where do you live, my tri state area grocery store has a decent kitnyiot section.

nchr

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:38 am
Trust me, if he's hungry he'll eat what you give him........

juggling

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:44 am
Since you're still nursing regularly I don't think you need to worry about him starving. Offer yams, bananas, maybe some pesach crackers or matza. If he refuses to eat, just let it go. He's getting nutrition from nursing.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:53 am
I’m giving my baby kitniyos.
Soy yogurt, tofu, beans, smoothies with soy milk, Just Egg, rice cereal, brown rice pasta.
Does your baby like turkey? Any kind of meat? Cold cuts?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did and I was told that I could. I think the challenge would be to find KLP kitnios foods.

The two foods he eats are oatmeal and cholent. I'm serious. Just those two.
He refuses applesauce, sweet potatoes, bananas, avocados, baby jars, etc.
He will occasionally deign to eat a cracker or some other snack. But mostly he pushes them away.
But I will keep on trying.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Can you keep a separate mini crockpot in the laundry room for him with kitniyos cholent? The poor kid needs food and nutrition. You can use sushi rice as a good substitute for barley.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Mar 17 2021, 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 5:13 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
No way!! My daughter is a bit older but those are her two things she eats + macaroni which isn’t a great help for pesach.

I also started getting really nervous this week. She wakes up screaming for oatmeal and is already off formula so she really needs to eat.

I did buy the potato starch ‘oatmeal’ but highly doubt it’s going to work.

Anyone know where to find kitniot klp in monsey? Want to get bamba and maybe see if they have a pasta option or something. So desperate.

I actually tried the potato starch oatmeal on the advice of the grocer. He advised me to buy the regular and the maple sugar one and mix them together. My baby hated it. It turned into one lump of mush. But maybe yours will go for it. Maybe rice mix might work for ds.

Oh, I also didn't mention that he is also very allergic to peanuts, so bamba is out for us.
( I didn't list it in the beginning because it is kitnios. . But if your dd is not allergic to peanuts, bamba would be great!)

I had a nighmare last night that I needed to give him his Epipen but it didnt work! Sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 5:23 am
Thanks to all the amazing Imas out there for your generous advice. I will refer to this thread often over pesach for inspiration! I'm feeling less anxious about feeding him now.

This is my first kid with allergies and it's a job and a half making sure the other kids don't leave their yogurts or lebens around, because we have had some bad results.

We do always put him at the table when we eat, but many of the foods are off limits to him.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 5:25 am
ra_mom wrote:
Can you keep a separate mini crockpot in the laundry room for him with kitniyos cholent? The pour kid needs food and nutrition. You can use sushi rice as a good substitute for barley.

This is a great idea. I can definitely try this.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 5:28 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I’m giving my baby kitniyos.
Soy yogurt, tofu, beans, smoothies with soy milk, Just Egg, rice cereal, brown rice pasta.
Does your baby like turkey? Any kind of meat? Cold cuts?

I never heard of Just Egg. Will check that out. If he can eat that would be amazing!
Also, do they make soy yogurts with klp hechsher?
Baby has refused chicken, turkey and meat. But I will definitly keep trying.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 5:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I never heard of Just Egg. Will check that out. If he can eat that would be amazing!
Also, do they make soy yogurts with klp hechsher?
Baby has refused chicken, turkey and meat. But I will definitly keep trying.

It doesn’t have a klp hechsher, neither do the yogurts. I showed them to my rav, who read all the ingredients, and he said it’s ok. He said I can call the ou to feel safe, so I’m gonna check with them when I have a minute. I know that formula and rice cereal don’t need a KLP.
I don’t live in a big Jewish community, so it’s literally impossible to find KLP kitniyos (besides for bamba, which he is highly allergic to).So maybe that’s why my rav said it’s ok for me.
Does he dislike all forms of chicken? Chicken hot dogs? Chicken nuggets? Chicken patties? Chicken meatballs? Drumsticks? Those are fun because he can hold it himself. What about regular hot dogs? Hamburgers? Meatballs? Pulled beef? Pastrami cold cuts?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 6:06 am
Check out Tamar Warga's blog and her Pesach cookbook for people with allergies.

http://kosherfoodallergies.blogspot.com/

HakarasHatov

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 6:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The two foods he eats are oatmeal and cholent. I'm serious. Just those two.
He refuses applesauce, sweet potatoes, bananas, avocados, baby jars, etc.
He will occasionally deign to eat a cracker or some other snack. But mostly he pushes them away.
But I will keep on trying.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Brown short grain rice cooks slower and gets less mushy than white rice in chulent

Last edited by HakarasHatov on Wed, Mar 17 2021, 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 6:18 am
The back of the out booklet had a list of non oup but ok for pesach if necessary things. Take a look at it

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 6:31 am
nchr wrote:
Trust me, if he's hungry he'll eat what you give him........

Not really. My very allergic, very picky child will rather starve than eat something that she doesn't like/she's not in the mood of. She's extremely underweight.
OP, does your child like cake or cookies? There are actually quite a few egg free pesach recipes. I'm planning to make tons of baked goods for my child. Not particularly nutritious but at least she won't starve.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 6:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a great idea. I can definitely try this.

Also try a parve rice pudding now in the crockpot. Season it the way you usually season the oatmeal. It's mushy and creamy, see if he likes it. Usually takes 4 hours on low, and there are no egg recipes.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics