Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teenagers shells and odors.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 9:59 am
Title says it all. I'm at my wits end. I cannot get the smell out of the black shells. My girls use the 100% cotton because I used the modal before, and it wasn't much better.
They use deodorant on a daily basis.

If you have any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

TiA.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 10:18 am
Soak in Baking soda before washing

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 10:29 am
It's a very difficult odor to get out.

Are they using an antiperspirant or just a deodorant. Perhaps you could get a product that works better. There are some that are much more heavy duty than others.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 11:14 am
Some materials just absorb sweat. It's awful. Finally figured out how to keep it from absorbing. It's hard work and takes upkeep each time but it's worthwhile.

To get the smell out, pour a full 32 oz bottle of vinegar into a large basin. Add water, enough to cover. Place 1 shell inside the basin and let sit for 24-48 hours (separate soaks for each so they get clean). Then wash in machine on a full cycle, using no detergent. Remove garment and smell under the arms to see if the smell still lingers. You may need to do another fresh vinegar soak for 1-2 days. Wash in machine with no detergent again. If the shell is odorless, you can then wash it again, this time with detergent and hang it to dry.

Once shells are clean, make sure it doesn't happen again. Wash shells separately with care each time. Place 1/2 - 1 cup baking soda into the machine. Place shells on top. Pour vinegar into the fabric softener dispenser of the washing machine. Do not use detergent. Wash a full cycle, not a quick wash. Then reset the machine and wash all over again, this time with detergent. Hang to dry.

If you wash them separately (like textured fabrics together) with this 2 wash method, then will stay fresh and odor free.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 11:40 am
Soak in undiluted good smelling detergent for a day or two. Then wash as regular. May have to repeat.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 11:42 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Soak in Baking soda before washing

For how long does it need to soak

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 11:44 am
ra_mom wrote:
Some materials just absorb sweat. It's awful. Finally figured out how to keep it from absorbing. It's hard work and takes upkeep each time but it's worthwhile.

To get the smell out, pour a full 32 oz bottle of vinegar into a large basin. Add water, enough to cover. Place 1 shell inside the basin and let sit for 24-48 hours (separate soaks for each so they get clean). Then wash in machine on a full cycle, using no detergent. Remove garment and smell under the arms to see if the smell still lingers. You may need to do another fresh vinegar soak for 1-2 days. Wash in machine with no detergent again. If the shell is odorless, you can then wash it again, this time with detergent and hang it to dry.

Once shells are clean, make sure it doesn't happen again. Wash shells separately with care each time. Place 1/2 - 1 cup baking soda into the machine. Place shells on top. Pour vinegar into the fabric softener dispenser of the washing machine. Do not use detergent. Wash a full cycle, not a quick wash. Then reset the machine and wash all over again, this time with detergent. Hang to dry.

If you wash them separately (like textured fabrics together) with this 2 wash method, then will stay fresh and odor free.

Wow this sounds like a process! Will try.

Thanks so much all of you. Keep the good advice coming.

Eta. Does it matter if its hot or cold water?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow this sounds like a process! Will try.

Thanks so much all of you. Keep the good advice coming.

Eta. Does it matter if its hot or cold water?

Cold water.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:09 pm
I'm skeptical that any shells are actually 100% cotton, no matter what the label says. Most of them have other fibers, too, definitely elastane to make it stretchy. If it is manufactured outside of the U.S. you can't always trust the label. A true 100% cotton shirt should not have this issue after being laundered.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:23 pm
Standard cotton shells have between 5&7 percent elastane or other synthetic material.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children