Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Which medication and why, ADHD
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 10:59 am
Which medication is your child with ADHD taking, and why? Did you go through trial and error with other medications (if so, which ones)?

I’m trying to sort this out. My son is taking Adderall and is generally doing well at school since he started two years ago. But it makes him somewhat of a perfectionist (anxious) while he’s on it. And it doesn’t have any effect in the morning or later in the afternoon when he’s home, and he’s chaos. I’m not super happy with our current psychiatrist (we switched due to insurance), so I want to be more informed so that I can advocate for him.

Please share. Thank you.

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 11:30 am
My son is on 3 natural supplements: magnesium, zinc and omega 3 . He also takes Intuniv and straterra. It’s been an excellent combo for him.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 11:35 am
Some kids have done well with extended release so it doesn't wear off by evening. There are also patches which makes things easier.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 11:43 am
There are tests you can take that will give you more insight on which neurotransmitters need targeting and which medications will be best metabolized by your individual genetics.

Finally Focused is a great book that discusses natural approaches to treating adhd as well as how to minimize side effects from medication.

amother
Aquamarine

Aderall did not work for my daughter. She was psycho on it. We’re switching now to Ritalin. I hate the trial and error! So hard to see her go through this. Good luck!

mummy85

One of my sons has been on meds for 6 years or so. We started with Ritalin and went up in dosage.
We have tried about 5 different meds over the years. Some worked for a while and some not at all. We have all different reactions from being almost in a trance to violence. Some the weaning off was bad, some sleep was not possible without melatonin, and some he didn't eat. Right now he is on concerta and has been for a couple of years with going up in dosage as we feel it's just not enough.
We also use slow release so it lasts about 8 hours.
Use your judgement as a mother and go with what you feel is right in how he should act.

I have a second son who just started 10 mg of ritalin and it's good for 4 hrs- which is perfect for him as he just needs it for a few hours in gan (he's 6) to help him sit long enough to progress in his learning.

I am very pro meds for kids who need it. I took it as a kid and it saved me in school and every day life. If you child needs it, it's day and light.

I hope the above is helpful.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:16 pm
My 6 year old began Ritalin slow release about two months ago. B"h he is doing really well and haven't seen any side effects so far.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:24 pm
Usually, doctors start with Ritalin.

I haven't heard that perfectionism is a side effect of adderall, so keep note of the issue, because if switching meds doesn't help, it may not be medication related.

You really do have to go through trials. And sometimes, it makes sense for a kid to switch periodically.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:27 pm
imasinger wrote:

I haven't heard that perfectionism is a side effect of adderall, so keep note of the issue, because if switching meds doesn't help, it may not be medication related.

He’s only that way when he’s on Adderall.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:28 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
There are tests you can take that will give you more insight on which neurotransmitters need targeting and which medications will be best metabolized by your individual genetics.

How can I get more info on this? Where can we do the testing?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:30 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Some kids have done well with extended release so it doesn't wear off by evening. There are also patches which makes things easier.

He is on extended release. But in the morning it’s not in effect yet, and by evening it has worn off. We tried giving an extra small afternoon dose but the crash from the non extended afternoon dose can be worse than no afternoon dose.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:34 pm
imasinger wrote:

A common side effect listed on the FDA label is "nervousness." This could certainly manifest as perfectionism in the context of school work.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:47 pm
Quillivant which is time released. My son metabolizes at a very fast rate. Takes another at 1pm. Also I noticed major changes since adding zoloft. I was very reluctant to add the zoloft but see how much happier he is. ADHD takes quite a toll on their self esteem.

amother
Seagreen

There is guanfacine, which needs to build up over time to be effective.
But doesn't cause tics, and I think can also help them.

amother
Green

amother [ Green ] wrote:
Quillivant which is time released. My son metabolizes at a very fast rate. Takes another at 1pm. Also I noticed major changes since adding zoloft. I was very reluctant to add the zoloft but see how much happier he is. ADHD takes quite a toll on their self esteem.

ETA: also gufancine

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How can I get more info on this? Where can we do the testing?
Look into gene sight adhd testing, neural zoomer, zrt lab neurotransmitter testing, OAT urine test. Read Finally Focused and Dr. Daniel Amen

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:22 pm
We use concerta.
Just raised the dose after 3 years.
He is doing ok.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:27 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
ETA: also gufancine

So he takes three medications?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So he takes three medications?

Yes. Many kids take guafacine along with a stimulant. The zoloft piece and figuring out when the stimulant was leaving his system (around 1pm) was a game changer.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 7:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which medication is your child with ADHD taking, and why? Did you go through trial and error with other medications (if so, which ones)?

I’m trying to sort this out. My son is taking Adderall and is generally doing well at school since he started two years ago. But it makes him somewhat of a perfectionist (anxious) while he’s on it. And it doesn’t have any effect in the morning or later in the afternoon when he’s home, and he’s chaos. I’m not super happy with our current psychiatrist (we switched due to insurance), so I want to be more informed so that I can advocate for him.

Please share. Thank you.

My dd is also taking Adderall as well as Prozac for anxiety/depression but we noticed the last few days when she didn't go to school and didn't take the adderall that she was less anxious!! I'll definitely be checking it out!!
https://vistapineshealth.com/s.....rall/
I found this article interesting!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)