Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Chandelier at head of table?

RW

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:29 pm
This is such a minor thing but I just wanted to ask.....We bought a chandelier for our dining room. However, based on where we have the table, the chandelier would be hanging over the head of the table as opposed to the center. I've always known proper dining room etiquette as having the chandelier in the center of the table, but our table is pretty much in a perfect spot and I really don't want to move it. My husband really wants the chandelier up before pesach. Any thoughts on a chandelier hanging over the head of the table?

groovy1224

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:30 pm
Wouldn't he hit his head on it every time he stood up?

RW

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:33 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Wouldn't he hit his head on it every time he stood up?

No, not at all. It's over the head of the actual table, not his chair. He would be totally fine. I'm worried about the aesthetics.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:35 pm
I can't imagine it looking good. We don't have a chandelier because it can't be exactly at the center of the table.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:35 pm
Aesthetically it should be over the middle of the table. It will look off kilter if not.

LittleMissMama

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:35 pm
That won't look right. He will also knock his head when he reaches over to grab anything from the center of the table.

You can relocate the electrical box. Hire an electrician.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:39 pm
I don't think it would look right.

banana123

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:44 pm
That's what we have and it definitely does not look right. Oh well. It's not the end of the world but it certainly does bother us somewhat.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:31 pm
You can either swag the chandelier so that it is properly in the center of the table - cheap solution.

You can also run a wire and cover it with casing which is painted to match the ceiling color - a bit more obtrusive.

Or you can pay an electrician and have the chandelier ceiling wiring moved to the center of the table.

I live in a high rise so moving the outlet isn't possible since the ceiling is cement that is primed and finished to look smooth. My chandelier is snagged with a chain because it would look ludicrous if it hung from where the ceiling outlet placement is. My chandelier looks fine with the chain because it already has a chain. It looks fine to me and I can't imagine it hanging at one end of the table.

I agree that having a chandelier at either end of the table would look strange. It doesn't have to be perfectly centered because most people aren't going to notice but it should be more of less in the middle.

sub

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 6:56 pm
It’s not only about how it looks
The lighting will be uneven. One side will be darker.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 8:19 pm
Placement of a chandelier has nothing to do with etiquette--it has to do with style and design. Do what works for you, but know that it will look odd and unbalanced, and if it is the sole source of lighting, the foot of the table will be dark compared to the head of the table.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics