Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Meaning of girls name Mia

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:04 am
Heard different opinions
Does this name mean “from G-d” or not really?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:06 am
It's not a Jewish name, but I could hear how it can work depending on your community.
It's a nickname for Amelia

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:08 am
My rabbi gave me a number of variations. We literally chose if for m I yah.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:48 am
andrea levy wrote:
My rabbi gave me a number of variations. We literally chose if for m I yah.

Do you mean the rabbi said miyah means from Hashem?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:08 am
Its used in Israel.
Mei Hashem - waters of Hashem - מי ה. Could be loosely interpreted as referring to Torah.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:49 am
Any meaning anyone gives you is made up and meant to make you feel better about giving your child a name that is not Jewish.
Of course that's up to you and you can name her Emily (with me and for me, mine), Aurora (double of word for light so she's full of light), Olivia (oh! G-d is in my heart), or any non Jewish name you like.
Just don't kid yourself or your innocent little baby girl when she gets older and you tell her where her name came from.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:00 pm
Why is this made up? I've also come across it a fair few times in Israel. It might be modern rather than tanachi, but its still a real hebrew name.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:26 pm
I've known several non Jews with this name, they pronounce it mee-ya (I think it means "mine" in italian or french maybe). I assume for the hebrew version it would be pronounced mi-ya (like mayim) which is a totally diff name.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 1:31 pm
It could be taken to mean "who is Gd?" which is not something you'd want to name your child. Ask a Rabbi though, there may be some who say it is fine to use.

When I listened to a lecture on names, it was on the list of names not to use, along with Anat, Ela, any boy's name that's used for girls, like Ohr (he said it's fine for boys, but shouldn't be used for girls). Simcha was an exception because among Sepharadim it's a girls' name, so he said if you are Sephardic it's ok to use for girls because there won't be confusion.

Maya is a good religious alternative to Mia that would be acceptable in almost all communities.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names