Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yehuda/Yiddy
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:47 am
Thinking of giving the name Yehuda, I'm chassidish so I hate the way it sounds with the chassidish havara, I'm very into universal sounding names. My only option if I give the name (DH grandfather) is to nickname Yiddy, how universal is such a name in most societies? Do you feel its easy to pronounce? Any other nice things to say about the name?
Eta: Also how do you think it should be spelled? Yidi? Yiddy? another way?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:48 am
Maybe Yidel would go over better?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:49 am
Yeedel
Yudi
Yuda

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:51 am
Best name!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:53 am
Yehuda has the same meaning as the name Ariel. I know a few Chassidish Ariel's and it's pretty universal in terms of pronunciation

emmes

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:05 am
Yiddy. Love the name.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:08 am
Not chasidish. Can’t stand the name Yiddy. Or even Yudi. My son is Yehuda Aryeh and we call him Ari: sounds pleasing to Jews and non Jews of every stripe

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:37 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Not chasidish. Can’t stand the name Yiddy. Or even Yudi. My son is Yehuda Aryeh and we call him Ari: sounds pleasing to Jews and non Jews of every stripe

It's a grandfather's name so I dont think we would add on to it, but I like that suggestion its a beautiful name.
Just curious what people think, how universal is such a name? In what societies do you hear it used?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:39 am
Do you like Leiby?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:42 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Do you like Leiby?

Maybe, that might be an option, thanks!

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Yehuda has the same meaning as the name Ariel. I know a few Chassidish Ariel's and it's pretty universal in terms of pronunciation

Er, no it doesn’t. My son is a Chassidish Ariel and we named him that for the Beis Hamikdash/Yerushalayim, which is called Ariel in Tanach. It literally means “lion of G-d”.

Yehuda means thanks and comes from Leah saying “this time I will thank G-d.”

The tribe of Yehuda is associated with a lion and Aryeh and Yehuda are often paired together, but they certainly don’t mean the same thing.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:30 pm
I know two Yiddis and one Yidel.
Both Yiddis I know are chassidish, maybe they also didn't like saying Yeheedah so they abbreviated to Yiddy.
I also have a cousin Yehudah, not chassidish.

I hear your predicament, OP. There are some names that I wouldn't give, because of this.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:47 pm
My brother's name a"h was Yehuda, well technically Moshe Yehuda but he only used his middle name. Yehuda is a beautiful name all on its own and doesn't need a nickname. There are many wonderful Yehudas in Jewish history, men of great character and strength. It is a worthy name.

I wish I was able to have another child to name after my brother. I miss him.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:13 am
We need to name my son Yehuda and my husband that's chassidish insists he be called yidi. Help! I hate the name !

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:23 am
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:
We need to name my son Yehuda and my husband that's chassidish insists he be called yidi. Help! I hate the name !

Call him Yidel then. Can say you think the y at the end is not mature.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:36 am
My grandson is Yehuda
We call him cutie yuddy because he really is super cute

gorilla

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:40 am
Yiddy is a very common name by chasidish people

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:26 am
Why can't you just call him yehuda? Chasidish or not, it is a name written straight out in the torah. Just as you can have a chasidish avraham, why can't you have a yehuda without a nickname

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:33 am
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
Why can't you just call him yehuda? Chasidish or not, it is a name written straight out in the torah. Just as you can have a chasidish avraham, why can't you have a yehuda without a nickname

Because with a chassidish havara it's Yeheeda.

amother
Melon

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:58 am
My husband is Yiddy and I have a bunch of nephews with the name Yiddy. I love the name, but yes its definitely chassidish sounding. (Doesn't bother me because I'm very chassidish - all my kids names are more or less chassidish sounding)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names