Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children's books

morticia_again

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 2:20 pm
I'm going to post this in a couple of forums (assume that's allowed), because I just wanted some ideas and advice.
I find that the Jewish kids books on the market are not as good in general as the non-Jewish ones (I'm talking about for little kids, up to age 3 or 4).
Could you tell me which books your children enjoy, and those that you actually enjoy reading to them (because I find that most just put me to sleep, even if the kids like them, while there are loads of non-Jewish books that are funny or witty, or actually appealing to adults as well)?

Thanks very much.
morticia

JEWISHMAMA

Post Fri, Sep 30 2005, 5:27 am
my kids enjoy a book called ´Friday is a short day´ by Yeshara Gold. Also the Tikkun Hammidot books by Rabbi Baruch Chait. Those are good books to read to a 3-4 year old and they have quite large pictures. Actually I also enjoy those! My 6 year old girl enjoys Shikufitsky and Simmy and Mimmy books. The Savta Simcha books are fun and I remember reading those! My son enjoys anything with animals or Israel in it.
I´ll try and think of more.

Pearl

Post Fri, Sep 30 2005, 7:02 am
for children who don't read (speak) english, or hebrew, the choice is.... zero for nice jewish books!!!

hadasa

Post Fri, Sep 30 2005, 7:36 am
http://www.hachai.com/

Check them out - especially Dina Rosenfeld's books which I love even now! Study

elisecohen

Post Fri, Sep 30 2005, 8:55 am
"The Shabbos Treat that Grew." I really would like recommendations for older children too though. These are all picture books. My older girls are way too sophisticated for any that I have found including the Binah Gold mysteries (sort of like a frummy Nancy Drew).

Post Sat, Oct 01 2005, 9:49 pm
JEWISHMAMA wrote:
Also the Tikkun Hammidot books by Rabbi Baruch Chait. Those are good books to read to a 3-4 year old and they have quite large pictures. Actually I also enjoy those!

I LOVE THOSE, TOO!! my kids are too young, but we bought one for my niece a few years ago.

hisorerus

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 1:07 am
The pictures are wonderful, but I found the text too difficult for children to understand and the concepts not brought down enough for kids to really learn from.

morticia_again

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 3:00 pm
I also love to read the Friday is a short day, I wanted to get the one about Pesach near Pesach time, but they didn't have it in the bookshop.
It seems a lot of people have recommended Hachai, so I'm going to check them out now.
I have read one of the Bina Gold ones, I bought them once as prizes for kids I taught in cheder at the time (not at all frum) and they seemed to love them, (they must have been about 7-8 years old). I also want to check out the Baruch Chait ones, it seems a lot of people like them.
Thanks for your replies.
Tova

JEWISHMAMA

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 4:36 am
just a few more books:

As big as an egg
How the misvah giraffe got its neck

JEWISHMAMA

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 3:40 am
MISH AND MUSH BOOKS

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 11:19 am
I second the MIsh and Mush books. They are so cute and teach really good lessons. Also wanted to suggest Shlavim Young REader Series. I think both of these are distributed by Feldheim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics