Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Self cleaning oven
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:22 am
I'm NOT taking this for granted. I always had non self clean and I didn't use the oven for Pesach. Now that I have it, I'm wondering if you can give tips and advice. Do I scrub clean myself first with Ez off or cleaners BEFORE self cleaning or after?? Do you leave the shelves in when oven is self cleaning? Do you put the grates in? Thanks in advance!!!!

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:32 am
You don’t need to deep clean the oven. But wipe it down.
Yes racks and metal grates go inside for self cleaning.

librarygirl

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:39 am
Be aware that while you need to keep the racks in to kasher, it goes against the manufacturing instructions and they will discolor.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:48 am
Clean the oven first, as you do not want ash leftover when the cycle is over.
Don't leave the oven racks in the oven. They will discolor and become hard to slide in and out of oven, if you put them in with self clean.

Best way to kasher the racks is to clean them and then kasher them in the clean oven by putting them into the oven preheated to 550 for 40 minutes (libbun kal).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:38 am
Personally I leave racks in
Wash door and gently around gasket really well. I don’t use ez off. Diluted ammonia is good enough for me.
I do not do my oven grates in there.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm NOT taking this for granted. I always had non self clean and I didn't use the oven for Pesach. Now that I have it, I'm wondering if you can give tips and advice. Do I scrub clean myself first with Ez off or cleaners BEFORE self cleaning or after?? Do you leave the shelves in when oven is self cleaning? Do you put the grates in? Thanks in advance!!!!

Ask your LOR if u can use the oven for pesach. We were told not to use . only if we insert a special box.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:00 am
ra_mom wrote:
Clean the oven first, as you do not want ash leftover when the cycle is over.
Don't leave the oven racks in the oven. They will discolor and become hard to slide in and out of oven, if you put them in with self clean.

Best way to kasher the racks is to clean them and then kasher them in the clean oven by putting them into the oven preheated to 550 for 40 minutes (libbun kal).

Why don't you want ash?
OP, cylor. Many people do use their ovens, not inserts.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:18 am
I leave the racks in, but don't put the grates in. I kasher the grates with the flame from the range.

I wipe out any ash afterwards. Then wipe down the door again while its still warm from cleaning.

grace413

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:20 am
I put the grates in. Cleans them really well. Racks are slightly discolored but I don't care.

Don't use EZ off.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:21 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Why don't you want ash?
OP, cylor. Many people do use their ovens, not inserts.

With time you end up with baked on stains. And who needs ash to clean up when they want to start cooking. It's just easier to maintain the oven by cleaning grease when it happens.

mommy12

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:27 am
I don't put anything in the oven when it's self cleaning. My mom has the same oven as me and she did that one time and now her racks are messed up and don't slide in and out.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
With time you end up with baked on stains. And who needs ash to clean up when they want to start cooking. It's just easier to maintain the oven by cleaning grease when it happens.

Not a halacha thing. That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Ask your LOR if u can use the oven for pesach. We were told not to use . only if we insert a special box.

In America it’s common to use self cleaning oven for pesach. In eretz yisroel many rabbanim hold an oven is diff so as you can’t.
So it’s true each person must ask their own rav - it depends what they consider a modern day oven

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:55 pm
The fumes can be very unpleasant

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 3:07 pm
With some of the GE ovens you can leave the racks in while running the self-clean cycle. Check the manual if you have a GE oven.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 3:22 pm
You don't technically have to clean the oven first. Whatever is left behind is certainly not chametz. And it's certainly easy enough to wipe out the ash afterwards. But the dirtier the oven when you self-clean, the worse the smell in the house. There will be fumes either way but with crumbs and grease inside it's so much worse.

Dina2018

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 3:58 pm
I was told to buy another pair of slides nd grates for Pesach (still cheaper than a toaster oven) because they will not survive the self-cleaning cycle

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 4:33 pm
Something to be aware of - after running the self clean, the oven temperature can get messed up. Buy an oven thermometer and check the temp. You can calibrate the temp (check your manual for how to do it).
Also, the default is for 4 hours. You can do 3 and it's enough (check with your Rabbi).

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 7:31 pm
Fwiw if you’re using the self clean open all the windows and maybe even leave the house.
The smell is extremely strong and unpleasant to say the least.

I was told by my LOR that to kasher from Meat to parev it needs to be clean, 24 hours unused, and highest possible temp (550° for me) for 30 mins.
Before pesach I do the same thing for 1 hour and put the stove top grates in to.

The self clean smell is so awful and I heard it’s not the healthiest I would say ask your rav first if you can do the highest temp because I’d avoid self clean at all costs.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 9:59 am
Thanks all for your input! Does anyone know if we have to wait after using oven for Chometz before self cleaning?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics