Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Refrigerator in an hour? Impossible
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 4:05 pm
Unless you clean every month every hole by removing the shelves that hang in those holes.
My cleaning person did it. Was far from perfect. I told a diferent one to make like new. Im redoing myself now. Im mad because finally the shelves were all good but then I put the frozen food bag and forgot to remove the outer wrapping that was protecting the pesach food. It was sticky on the outside from non pessach matter. I forgot to remove the layer! I was in mikva last night and have something else going on. Im so frustrated! May this be a capara. Im gonna have to remove the bag with food and redo the shelf then finally remove a "layer bag" ! Double work.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 4:33 pm
I cleaned my fridge twice this year. I usually do it more often.
It was pretty gross but didn't take me more than an hour.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 4:37 pm
Not understanding. Why can’t you just put a new shelf liner?

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 4:38 pm
Just did my fridge and spent more time trying to take it apart and then put it back together than actually cleaning! Always afraid of breaking something.

tweety1

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 4:48 pm
I do my fridge every so often. Not every crevice. But one or 2 shelves sometimes even 3 shelves a month. Depends. That being said it did not take me long to do my fridge because I maintain it. Same is with my freezer.

Zehava

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:43 pm
My fridge gets done every week without removing shelves

littleprincess

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:43 pm
My cleaning lady washes all the shelves weekly. Usually on tuesday cos that's the first time she comes after all the shabbes food is out.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:45 pm
Is it possible that some of you are cleaning more than is required by Halacha? Unless you put away food without covering it properly and food is spilling all over the place it shouldn’t be taking that long nor should you be taking it apart. Below is my time frame and the fridge is perfectly clean

I remove all the food (5 min), use windex and wipe down all the inner walls and shelves (15 min), rinse and dry veggie drawers (5 min) Put down shelf liners that are super cheap in any kosher supermarket (approx 1 min), sort food into categories (10 min) depending on what gets thrown out, what gets sold (put in a bag on its designated shelf) and what is pesachdig (directly on liners), wipe down other fridge (2 min). Whole job is a bit more than a half hour.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:47 pm
I take out everything. Line my bathtub with towels. Put in bathtub. Cover in warm water with lots ammonia. Wash out empty fridge. Rinse off fridge parts with shower. Place back in fridge. I find everything really comes off this way. We hold if it soaks in ammonia it’s not human edible anyways so ok

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:47 pm
Eemaof3 wrote:
Just did my fridge and spent more time trying to take it apart and then put it back together than actually cleaning! Always afraid of breaking something.
relative does glasswork and gets tons of calls for peoples broken fridge shelves. Why take it apart??

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 7:46 pm
I take it apart to get under the cheese drawer because invariably something drips or small pieces fall down there. So yicky!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 7:50 pm
I did a super thorough cleaning of my fridge and freezer today. Each shelf has parts and I took everything apart and washed in the sink and dried . Then put everything back together again (Probably did more than I needed to do) and it took me 3 hours total.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:30 pm
My fridge does not have many parts or crevices. I cleaned it extremely well, feeling with my hands for any crumbs or stickiness after I was done, and it’s gleaming. Took me less than thirty minutes, but it has been cleaned well two weeks ago. I also do a lot of spot cleaning as necessary and check to make sure before I put stuff in that it’s not dirty or sticky or spillable.

lucky14

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:46 pm
I HATE cleaning the fridge. Probably because I don't do maintenance (it's always so full and with everything else I have to do it's such a lower priority on my list). But since I only do it before Pesach it is such a mess with crumbs and gunk and there are so many pieces to take apart and put back and it is just such a pain.
For me it's the worst part about cleaning for Pesach for sure.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:01 pm
Eemaof3 wrote:
I take it apart to get under the cheese drawer because invariably something drips or small pieces fall down there. So yicky!

This. Do those of you who just wipe out the inside without taking out the shelves ever look down there? Do you never have crumbs or spills? Or do you assume that even if it's there, your Pesach food won't touch it so why clean it?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:02 pm
lucky14 wrote:
I HATE cleaning the fridge. Probably because I don't do maintenance (it's always so full and with everything else I have to do it's such a lower priority on my list). But since I only do it before Pesach it is such a mess with crumbs and gunk and there are so many pieces to take apart and put back and it is just such a pain.

I agree completely. BH somehow this became DH's job (maybe because I'm hopeless at putting it back together or he's more of a perfectionist about checking every part). I do the rest of the heavy pesach cleaning jobs so I think it's more than fair. If I was in charge I'd probably just wipe it all down and call it a day.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:26 pm
How much crumbs get in the actual fridge?
When I clean my fridge it’s usually onion peels and sticky from residue on the outside of a bottle but no major crumbs that it needs to be taken apart and haphazardly put back together.

I periodically wipe down my fridge if I have time and come pesach I do a “better” wipe down of all the edges corners and seals. Doesn’t take me more than 1 hour. At all. If it does you’re not pesach cleaning you’re spring cleaning and it’s a separate thing.

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:40 am
lucky14 wrote:

Agreed! Worst! By me, something always spills... like soy sauce (one it was OJ concentrate!) I try to maintain, but before Pesach I just wait till Pesach Sad I MUST take out the shelves. I'm more maykel with cabinets but real food goes here!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:09 am
Based on the previous comments, OF COURSE it is possible to clean your fridge in an hour for Pesach... assuming you already spent hours over the course of the year keeping it clean so it didn't need much.

In my disorganized life and my messy kitchen, I can do it in one hour as long as I do that hour a few times.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:20 am
My fridge is only a year old. It was not disgusting.

It still took me an entire day to clean, line, and reorganize. I had to take a lot of breaks between tasks. It's my most hated Pesach thing to clean.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen