Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Vent- Rude Teacher
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:43 pm
I came here to vent.

My child has a rude teacher, she is rude to my child and was rude to me when I complained about her behavior towards my child in the classroom.

If you don't like kids and are going to put down children and call them names, don't be a teacher. Just don't.

These are precious souls that Hashem gave us to take care. My child is sensitive. Don't yell at my child.

My child will cry when being mistreated. If you think my child is doing something wrong in class, talk to my child. Don't raise your voice.

Treat each student the way you want to be treated. Children are people too. Vent over.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:49 pm
Why don't you talk to the principal about it? You can do it as a group with some of the other mothers in the class so she can see it's not just you.
P.S. (Let us know if you don't want solutions just sympathy:) that will change the tone of the thread.)

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:54 pm
Talk to the principal. She should have never been hired by a school.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 6:00 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Talk to the principal. She should have never been hired by a school.

I had a similar situation. And I spoke to the principal with another mother. They didn't do enough for our children. There is a teacher shortage. And limited funding. It's so disheartening. I wish this person would just quit.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:40 pm
Thank you! I want solutions and sympathy!

If I speak to the principal, how can I get my point accross without sounding like it's just one of those things?

The teacher has been there for a while and while I commend her chessed efforts in the community, she should be nowhere near children.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:45 pm
OP I know exactly what youre talking about....I'm a speech therapist in a school so I spend a lot of time in different classrooms. its horrible how some teachers treat the students and verbally abuse them. Some teachers just shouldn't be teachers. It takes a tremendous amount of patience, kindness and love to be a teacher and some people are just not cut out for that

smss

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:08 pm
Oy I'm so sorry your child is going through this.
Since it's a pattern (not just a one time thing) and you've already tried speaking to the teacher, I would definitely speak to the principal next.

smss

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If I speak to the principal, how can I get my point accross without sounding like it's just one of those things?

Be prepared with as many specific examples as possible ("my child did xyz and the teacher said xyz" is better than "the teacher is rude"), and be clear about how it's impacting your child.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:04 pm
Ooh I know this is going to raise some hackles but what did your child do to get yelled at? Children may be sensitive, but you’re likely hearing one side of the story. Think first before you put someone else’s parnassah in jeopardy and gather information.

Signed: a former student who was never ever ever to blame for the teachers yelling at me, nosirree I did nothing! Honest!

smss

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:32 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Ooh I know this is going to raise some hackles but what did your child do to get yelled at? Children may be sensitive, but you’re likely hearing one side of the story. Think first before you put someone else’s parnassah in jeopardy and gather information.

Signed: a former student who was never ever ever to blame for the teachers yelling at me, nosirree I did nothing! Honest!

But. You really, really weren't to blame for their yelling at you.
Yelling is not an appropriate form of discipline. Ever. If it were a one time thing and the teacher seemed regretful I would let it go, everyone has bad days. If it's her regular manner that is not ok. No child deserves to be yelled at or called names, no matter what they did.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:34 pm

This is a child that gets along with all siblings, that does everything that is asked of at home and one of those kids most parents wished they had. Always cooperative.

But dc forgot the homework and was upset because of that and the teacher was upset at my child for being upset.

And that's what's more upsetting, my child was upset because this is a responsible child, and instead was ridiculed for the reaction.

I don't want to threaten anyone's parnasa, I just want her to change her ways, my child should not be subject to verbal and emotional abuse.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:38 pm
smss wrote:
But. You really, really weren't to blame for their yelling at you.
Yelling is not an appropriate form of discipline. Ever. If it were a one time thing and the teacher seemed regretful I would let it go, everyone has bad days. If it's her regular manner that is not ok. No child deserves to be yelled at or called names, no matter what they did.

If you had 30 kids to a class and all of them had parents that felt they should never be disciplined, I guarantee you the teacher is going to raise her voice from time to time. I’ve done classroom management and while I agree - there are an awful lot of ineffective teachers - the children in the class were never blameless.

I agree, children should never ever be called names.

But I’m simply asking for the other side of the story. I’m assuming the teacher didn’t just stride into the classroom, aim her beady eyes at OP’s kid, and start screaming at her/him.

smss

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:46 pm
If you had 30 kids to a class and all of them had parents that felt they should never be disciplined, I guarantee you the teacher is going to raise her voice from time to time. I’ve done classroom management and while I agree - there are an awful lot of ineffective teachers - the children in the class were never blameless.

But I’m simply asking for the other side of the story. I’m assuming the teacher didn’t just stride into the classroom, aim her beady eyes at OP’s kid, and start screaming at her/him.

I've been a teacher for 8 years.
That also means I see more of what really happens in classrooms than many parents do.
Unfortunately, there are too many teachers who shouldn't be teaching.
Yes there are always two sides to every story but I'm getting very bad vibes here.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:49 pm
Pointless to speak to the principal. The principal will likely have the teachers back and you’ll most likely get the “ if your not happy here you can go somewhere else”. These teachers are young with zero life experience and are there mostly because they need the money and it was their path of least resistance to a paycheck.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:49 pm

Children are children. Adults need to control themselves. A teacher has no right to yell at or call a child names. End of story. There are ways to discipline and many teachers do cross lines and hurt children. I am a teacher and a parent.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a child that gets along with all siblings, that does everything that is asked of at home and one of those kids most parents wished they had. Always cooperative.

But dc forgot the homework and was upset because of that and the teacher was upset at my child for being upset.

And that's what's more upsetting, my child was upset because this is a responsible child, and instead was ridiculed for the reaction.

I don't want to threaten anyone's parnasa, I just want her to change her ways, my child should not be subject to verbal and emotional abuse.

Got it. I hear, that seems to be quite a different story. I totally see your side.

What have you said to DC about what happened? What do they think?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:55 pm
smss wrote:
I've been a teacher for 8 years.
That also means I see more of what really happens in classrooms than many parents do.
Unfortunately, there are too many teachers who shouldn't be teaching.
Yes there are always two sides to every story but I'm getting very bad vibes here.

True, especially after OP clarified what happened.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:29 am
I had a very similar incident with my daughter’s teacher. Although the teacher answered me back rudely she stopped shouting at my child going forward, BH. I hope this was just your daughter’s teachers defence mechanism and going toward she who be more careful & kind towards your child & all of her students.
You’ve also taught your daughter that this is not okay and that you will stick up for her (go you;))! Great learning & growing experience for everyone.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:27 am

The teacher is the grown up in the room. Ideally the trained grown up in the room. The grown up who tells themselves I may walk into a room full of chaos and be the only person who has the ability to center it all.

Any "teacher" who blames it on the child has forgotten that they are the grown up in the room who is required and expected to hold themselves together and not become unhinged.

I'm saying this as a teacher. As a teacher who has had students who got under my skin and still worked hard not to let the child feel it. As a teacher who has APOLOGIZED for unfair treatment of students or even whole classrooms when I forgot that I was the only grown up in that room.

Abuse and cruelty is not tolerated and the only threat to such a person's parnasah is their own refusal to admit the mistake and change.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:33 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
The teacher is the grown up in the room. Ideally the trained grown up in the room. The grown up who tells themselves I may walk into a room full of chaos and be the only person who has the ability to center it all.

Any "teacher" who blames it on the child has forgotten that they are the grown up in the room who is required and expected to hold themselves together and not become unhinged.

I'm saying this as a teacher. As a teacher who has had students who got under my skin and still worked hard not to let the child feel it. As a teacher who has APOLOGIZED for unfair treatment of students or even whole classrooms when I forgot that I was the only grown up in that room.

Abuse and cruelty is not tolerated and the only threat to such a person's parnasah is their own refusal to admit the mistake and change.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics