Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Gemach/organizations to help w clothes

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:44 pm
Hi doss anyone know of any gemach or organization in brooklyn that helps with kids clothes to families before yt? I am part of a kollel but they only help with shoes. I feel like I need to dress my kids a certain way here in flatbush but simply cant afford it. I bought a $20 kidichic outfit and dh was upset. Sad

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:05 pm
Look, I'm not trying to come across as mean or insensitive, but there really is no reason to give in to peer pressure. I live in Flatbush also, and my dh left kollel a year ago after approx 6 years. I can't afford to buy anything new for my kids this year (as was the case most of the years he was in kollel also) and so I didn't buy anything. They will wear whatever they've been wearing a whole winter. As long as its clean and neat and presentable its fine. No one got new shoes either.

If there are organizations that can help you, and you feel you need it then definitely take advantage. But in the long run it might do you better to reframe your attitude about needing to dress a certain way. You really don't need to. When I talk to my sisters in law in Lkwd I actually feel that Flatbush is so much more laid back and there is so much less peer pressure here.

All that said, I do not agree with your dh for getting upset over a $20 kidichic dress

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:07 pm
Put in an application for Bobby's Place. Hopefully they'll have approved you for next YT.
I'm sorry you are struggling! What size does your dc.wear?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:19 pm
Thanks ill reach out to them. Im working hard to change my attitude and came this far..plenty of ppl dnt shop in kidichic and wld never dress their kids how I do. Mine are 18 m and 24 m boys. And I take plenty of hand me downs plus shopping on ali and in secnd hand stores in lkwd when I go

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:27 pm
At that age, so easy to get inexpensive things at target, children's place... Wait til they are older! My oldest is 16, husband learning in kollel bh. Especially if he plans to learn long, you need to reframe your mindset about appropriate clothing. They learn from you. As teenagers, you wont have a choice. At this age, you can get cute stuff for so cheap. Hatzlocha!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:29 pm
Ps my husband never got clothing/shoe gift cards from kollel until this year. We managed fine with payless, amazon, etc... But yes, there are a lot of kollel people who pay a lot for clothing. It isnt always easy not to follow the crowd

gande

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:30 pm
No gmach is going to give you this years designer clothes. You can learn to shop on 70% off sales and put away for next year or just wait for shavous for the new clothes. Its cold outside anyways.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:31 pm
By the way was $20 a lot or too nebby? Trying to figure it out. Lol

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:36 pm
I also had that attitude and then I relize that new clothing, and looking cute gave my kid confident I'm talking about ages 8, and 9 they felt good looking cute. and wearing "new -with tags jewish looking clothing and headbands" (it didnt have to be latest style but they noticed enough to want similar to friends. Pesach is the one time a year I buy some new clothes. And also feel its important to have some new supplies and backpack on the first day of school

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks ill reach out to them. Im working hard to change my attitude and came this far..plenty of ppl dnt shop in kidichic and wld never dress their kids how I do. Mine are 18 m and 24 m boys. And I take plenty of hand me downs plus shopping on ali and in secnd hand stores in lkwd when I go

Gosh why don't they shop in kidichic?! They have such nice stuff. I can think of one yeshiva/kollel in Flatbush that is known to be fancier and higher maintenance, but even my friends whose dh's learn there are fine with kidichic.

You can also look on h&m and zara. They often have in style clothing for cheaper prices than Jewish stores

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:42 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I also had that attitude and then I relize that new clothing, and looking cute gave my kid confident I'm talking about ages 8, and 9 they felt good looking cute. and wearing "new -with tags jewish looking clothing and headbands" (it didnt have to be latest style but they noticed enough to want similar to friends. Pesach is the one time a year I buy some new clothes. And also feel its important to have some new supplies and backpack on the first day of school

I agree that once kids are a little older, you may need to accommodate some (not all, or even most) of their "wants." It is important for kids to look and feel good. But I dont think the attitude of needing in style clothing should come from the mom when the kids are so young.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi doss anyone know of any gemach or organization in brooklyn that helps with kids clothes to families before yt? I am part of a kollel but they only help with shoes. I feel like I need to dress my kids a certain way here in flatbush but simply cant afford it. I bought a $20 kidichic outfit and dh was upset. Sad

I can buy your kids an outfit from Zara or hm.com if you’d like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries