Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Considering Aliyah to Beit Shemesh
1  2  3  Next

tophat

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:52 am
What do you wish you'd brought with you when you made aliyah?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:53 am
Medicines. Like advil and allergy medicines.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:55 am
If you are bringing American sized beds, then bring extra sheets.

Teomima

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:04 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Medicines. Like advil and allergy medicines.

Yes, this is one thing we stock up on whenever we visit the States. You can't get those giant bottles of tylenol or advil here. Also if you have kids who prefer a certain chewable version, there's a shortage of options here.

tophat

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:10 pm
Thank you. Would that include things like Refresh eye drops for dry eyes? All over-the-counter medications that you might need to take, like Vitamin D and Calcium?

Teomima

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:33 pm
tophat wrote:
Thank you. Would that include things like Refresh eye drops for dry eyes? All over-the-counter medications that you might need to take, like Vitamin D and Calcium?

You can get all of that here, but it's generally pricer (though not unreasonable, especially if you get a prescription). But anything you take regularly you might as well bring what you'll use, enough to last you a while (though obviously pay attention to expiration dates).

tophat

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:42 pm
Thank you again!

tophat

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
If you are bringing American sized beds, then bring extra sheets.

You brought beds? I thought we'd get furniture when we get there to fit the apartment.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:45 pm
Forgot to add -Benadryl or its equivalent. Not available here over the counter.

blessedflower

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:53 pm
Electronic devises are way more expensive. All electronics for the kitchen. Toys are worth bringing.

tophat

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:56 pm
blessedflower wrote:
Electronic devises are way more expensive. All electronics for the kitchen. Toys are worth bringing.

So, you bought with Israeli power or brought adaptors and converters?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:16 pm
tophat wrote:
You brought beds? I thought we'd get furniture when we get there to fit the apartment.

Unless you are buying and have big sized bedroom buy beds here. You will have trouble fitting them in places and moving around.

Also a proper transformer is like 15 pounds and a huge box. Do not bring appliances. Converters are going to blow your appliances up. I and many others have ruined many appliance and other electronics by thinking you can use a simple converter.

Toys is a big one. Lego, play mobile, train sets, magnatiles, so much more money here.

With medicines lemme give you a rundown. A bottle of 500 advils can be ten bucks in America. It will cost ten bucks here for 20-30 pills. Same with allergy medicine.

Bring your towels. Your good water bottles or thermos. Sleeping bags if you like camping and that kinda stuff.

tophat

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:57 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Unless you are buying and have big sized bedroom buy beds here. You will have trouble fitting them in places and moving around.

Also a proper transformer is like 15 pounds and a huge box. Do not bring appliances. Converters are going to blow your appliances up. I and many others have ruined many appliance and other electronics by thinking you can use a simple converter.

Toys is a big one. Lego, play mobile, train sets, magnatiles, so much more money here.

With medicines lemme give you a rundown. A bottle of 500 advils can be ten bucks in America. It will cost ten bucks here for 20-30 pills. Same with allergy medicine.

Bring your towels. Your good water bottles or thermos. Sleeping bags if you like camping and that kinda stuff.

Very helpful. Thank you.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:19 pm
Corelle dishes. Pyrex. Spices that are a combination of herbs or spices, like Italian Seasoning and Curry Powder. If you love a particular Trader Joe's spice, pack it. Bring baking powder cuz here it's not double action like it is in the U.S. If you use a lot of baking soda, for instance in your laundry or as a deodorizer, bring it too.

If you love a certain brand of makeup, deodorant, shampoo or perfume, bring it with you. Definitely bring eye drops and contact solution, if you wear contacts. I agree with all the previous posts recommending bringing OTC meds, vitamins, and supplements. Outrageously expensive in Israel: contact lenses, hearing aids and eyeglasses for adults. (Kids can get a free pair of basic glasses every year.) Also if any adults in your family need dental work, get it done in the States.

If you choose to buy bedding here, know that Israelis don't use top sheets. A set is a pillowcase, a bottom sheet and a duvet cover.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:24 pm
Hearing aids are way cheaper in Israel!

Also the spices here are fresh. This is the middle east. Way better than in the USA. If you look up what's in your spice mix they can mix it up for you here in spice stores.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:32 pm
Re hearing aids: we found they were much more expensive here. We asked the question of Nefesh b'Nefesh and they recommended we get them in the U.S.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:33 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Re hearing aids: we found they were much more expensive here. We asked the question of Nefesh b'Nefesh and they recommended we get them in the U.S.

Interesting. I've gotten them cheaper here. 2k shekels versus 8k dollars in the states.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:39 pm
tophat wrote:

Yes, get your beds here. Tiv Harahit is the best furniture store and the mattresses are even better than American beds!
https://tivharahit.com/

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:40 pm
Corelle dishes. Pyrex. Spices that are a combination of herbs or spices, like Italian Seasoning and Curry Powder. If you love a particular Trader Joe's spice, pack it. Bring baking powder cuz here it's not double action like it is in the U.S. If you use a lot of baking soda, for instance in your laundry or as a deodorizer, bring it too.

If you love a certain brand of makeup, deodorant, shampoo or perfume, bring it with you. Definitely bring eye drops and contact solution, if you wear contacts. I agree with all the previous posts recommending bringing OTC meds, vitamins, and supplements. Outrageously expensive in Israel: contact lenses, hearing aids and eyeglasses for adults. (Kids can get a free pair of basic glasses every year.) Also if any adults in your family need dental work, get it done in the States.

If you choose to buy bedding here, know that Israelis don't use top sheets. A set is a pillowcase, a bottom sheet and a duvet cover.

Interesting, I know many people who split their time between Israel and US and they all get their dental work done in Israel because it is more affordable here.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:44 pm

Sorry, I have to disagree with a lot.
Corelle & Pyrex - I agree
Baking powder - you can get American brand in a large container at Best Market in RBS
Baking soda - OA has large size containers - no need to bring
Makeup and deodorant - yes. I have been here many years and still import deodorant.
Hearing aids are subsidized by the kupah. I have several friends who have them and they get them here, even though they travel to America frequently. The batteries are much cheaper in America and very expensive here.
Dental work is cheaper here unless you have great dental insurance in the states.
I know many people who get dental work done in Israel when they visit. Crowns, implants, etc. Many many great English speakign dentists in RBS.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions