Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ever turn down a promotion?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 8:53 am
I am being offered a promotion at work but it would mean more hours, so I am turning it down but have mixed feelings. It would mean going from a regular worker bee to a manager. Anyone here ever turn down a promotion at work?

STMommy

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 8:56 am
I did, without going into detail the promotion was in name, title, prestige and level of responsibility but not in pay and it also involved a slight change in work locations and I didn't want to move from where I was.

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 8:59 am
Yes- the hours would have been too crazy for me to handle .

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 9:07 am
I have not. But if you haven't delivered the news yet about turning it down, think about whether you want to communicate a "no, never" or just a "not now, but maybe someday."

At many workplaces, turning down a promotion will be interpreted as a "no, never," and then you will never be approached with similar openings in the future. If you think you might be interested in the future, you should be proactive in clarifying this when you turn this one down.

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I have not. But if you haven't delivered the news yet about turning it down, think about whether you want to communicate a "no, never" or just a "not now, but maybe someday."

At many workplaces, turning down a promotion will be interpreted as a "no, never," and then you will never be approached with similar openings in the future. If you think you might be interested in the future, you should be proactive in clarifying this when you turn this one down.

Great point.
My response was that it wouldn’t work for me at this point in my life...

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:17 pm
I remember my dad doing this. He accepted it on trial basis, and after a week went back to his old position. At that time he just couldn't accept the promotion but I wonder if he now regrets not pushing himself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics