Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
HELP! 1 yr old refuses to take antibiotics

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:17 pm
My 1 yr old (just turned one) needs liquid antibiotics but absolutely refuses, screams gags and coughs if I give it. I feel like the worst mother and am about to cry. Help please

groovy1224

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:23 pm
Been there. It's horrible. I used to have to give it a few drops at a time, then blow in his face to force him to swallow. Then at the end I made a big deal and gave him a treat. After a few days it got sliiightly easier. But I feel for you, I wanted to cry when the doctor said it was a ten day course.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:23 pm
Break up chewables in applesauce

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:26 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Been there. It's horrible. I used to have to give it a few drops at a time, then blow in his face to force him to swallow. Then at the end I made a big deal and gave him a treat. After a few days it got sliiightly easier. But I feel for you, I wanted to cry when the doctor said it was a ten day course.

My baby doesn't understand a treat! She's not even 13 months. Crying

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:32 pm
A few ideas.

Some medicines are known to taste terrible. I’ve had one where I had to ask the doctor for an alternate prescription because my one year old just wouldn’t take it.

Mix it in a small amount of yogurt.

Ask the pharmacist re flavorRX. Some flavors are kosher - you can look online.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:43 pm
https://au.news.yahoo.com/pare......html
Works with my kids

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:45 pm
My baby was about 10 months when we had to give antibiotics for an ear infection. The only way we could get them down was with an elaborate skit (every night!) where my husband, me, and an assortment of stuffed animals pretended to eat them and talked about how delicious it was.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:48 pm
Does he have a bottle? Put it in the tip of the nipple and some milk or formula and have him drink the bottle like that.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 1:05 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Does he have a bottle? Put it in the tip of the nipple and some milk or formula and have him drink the bottle like that.

Be careful.
One of my kids refused bottles after that because I used that trick

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 1:15 pm
We literally gave shots of antibiotics until around 3.
Some background-
He was a nicu baby and called “a fighter.”Pulled out the wires. So much trauma. It was easier to do the shot. I dont mean only in the NICU. Once he was home and BH helathy and regular if he needed antibiotics for an infection he fought it so much. And we ended up doing shots of antibiotics.
Not sure I would do it if that happened with my child now.....But that was the solution then. I had no more ideas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics