Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I'm working so hard

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 11:35 pm
My job as a secretary is 9-5 and somehow I find myself working 11pm.
I'm frustrated and annoyed and I want to set boundaries and I feel like it won't happen
I love my job but I hate the pressure of having to work late at night when ppl cancel their commitment and me having to scramble and find a replacement.
I don't get why ppl who agree to work their allotted hours decide that the busiest day of the year they can take off.
I get it that its before pesach... uh hi its for me too. I get it that you have a husband and a child and whatnot but if you have a job and you work with a child or whatever you have to make arrangements and come in.
Its so hard. Why should the secretary be up all night because you broke your word??

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 11:42 pm
Why should I need to work until 9pm because my boss promised the client stuff and I’m the one who has to do the work! And it never ends! It stinks I know. Looking for a new job for this very reason.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 11:45 pm
That's so wrong! I hope you get paid overtime for the hours you work. It's hard to have other people's bad decisions become your responsibility.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:01 am
Don’t know about OP but I don’t get paid for any of that time. Salaried and not eligible for OT

dankbar

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:05 am
Let the worker be resposible to find own sub.

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:14 am
Sounds really hard. I’m really good at setting work boundaries. I literally turn my phone off. I recommend it. In my experience, people will respect you and it works just be consistent

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:39 am
in my 8 to 4 job I also have to work at night and be on call...I dont get paid for it, but my boss expects it.. almost all my coworkers do this too....this is what I hate about my job, but if anyone says something, they are in danger of losing their job, so its not about setting boundaries but I need the job to pay basic bills...I hate it...but bh I do have money to pay bills....

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 8:40 am
dankbar wrote:
Let the worker be resposible to find own sub.
Or the owner.
Sorry but this isn’t the employees fault. It’s your boss’s fault and your boss’s responsibility. If you were hr that would be one thing. A secretary is not responsible for employees calling off. The owner is.
You need to learn to work your hours and not worry about what others do or don’t do. If anything has to get done, let the owner know and also let them know that you can’t be the one taking care of it. This isn’t your problem. Finished.

naomi2

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 9:56 am
You are making yourself into a shmatta so people will continue to treat you badly.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 10:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to set boundaries and I feel like it won't happen

I think this is the most important part of your post. If your workplace is generally reasonable, except for this one issue of finding replacements for people that call out, then I think it's worth a shot to try to negotiate this boundary.

If the workplace is dysfunctional in many other ways, then I don't think it is salvageable. Personally, in that case, I would just grit my teeth while I look for a new job and leave asap.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 10:24 am
Not OP - I’m salaried so no OT
I’m taking off full week for pesach so need to get so much done before. Kids are home. I’m working until 1am to finish. Not getting anything done for pesach. Feel like I’m drowning.
Please don’t tell nephew many crepe leaves you made yesterday.
Teens turned over kitchen yesterday at least.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:02 am
I emailed my boss and director that I want to set up a meeting to discuss this after yomtov

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:06 am
Are you talking about in a school?
I was this person in a school for 9 years and finally quit. I couldn't deal with it anymore. I get paid less now but have a much more relaxed life

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:08 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Are you talking about in a school?
I was this person in a school for 9 years and finally quit. I couldn't deal with it anymore. I get paid less now but have a much more relaxed life

Yes in a school. Part of my job is to find subs but I don't think 11pm is normal to let know that you need subs.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I emailed my boss and director that I want to set up a meeting to discuss this after yomtov
Perfect. Practice assertive communication when you talk to them. What I do is basically say the same thing over and over.
“I can’t look for subs at 11pm Erev Pesach”
Them: well we need you to do it.
I’m so sorry but I can’t look for subs so last minute
What are we going to do then? Everything will fall apart. We need you to take care of this. It’s your job.
I’m so sorry. I understand and I feel bad. But I can’t look for subs so last minute

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Perfect. Practice assertive communication when you talk to them. What I do is basically say the same thing over and over.
“I can’t look for subs at 11pm Erev Pesach”
Them: well we need you to do it.
I’m so sorry but I can’t look for subs so last minute
What are we going to do then? Everything will fall apart. We need you to take care of this. It’s your job.
I’m so sorry. I understand and I feel bad. But I can’t look for subs so last minute

Thank you for this

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for this
Good luck! Smile

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 1:15 pm
OP, I'm the office manager of a very large corporation and my job is 9-5. I don't even check my emails outside these hours and my bosses know it.

Boundaries are very important.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics