Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do you daven each day?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 10:40 am
The title says it all! I feel guilty about never davening. Life is busy, but technically, I can wake up extra early, and I really should....

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 10:46 am
My kabbala for this year was to daven a little. I try to say just the Brachos every day. I don't always but mostly yes. Start small.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:09 am
Unfortunately, no. I wish I would though!

jd1212

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:23 am
I always say birchas hatorah (some say talking torah without saying can be issur d’oraisa), but since my first was born last year, I’ve totally fallen off the horse and don’t say anything besides that. I try on shabbos to always say a bunch.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:50 am
I say birchos hashachar (when I remember too Tongue Out ) and I try to daven minchah every day. That's all I can handle because it's so short.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:52 am
I say brachos, shema, and shmonah esrai. I daven a lot more on Sundays/shabbos when I don't work and don't have to be out of the house at at 7:30.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:56 am
B'h, I am proud to say that I daven every morning. It takes about 20 min and keeps my connection with Hashem alive.

miami85

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:57 am
For me it's Brachos daily, I used to daven mincha, but lately not so much. I used to try to daven more on Shabbos, some weeks are better than others.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:00 pm
I try to daven from a siddur, at least some major parts. If not, I try to remember to praise Hashem, request something of Hashem, and thank Hashem in my own words, or at a bare minimum, request something of Hashem--this is what I learned was the basic halachah/mitzva of tefillah.

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:07 pm
I started davening every day this year. I say brochos, kruse shma and shmoina esrah. I do it first thing after my kids buses leave. It takes about 10-15 minutes.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:10 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I started davening every day this year. I say brochos, kruse shma and shmoina esrah. I do it first thing after my kids buses leave. It takes about 10-15 minutes.

Wow! That's a long time! Kol hakavod

Ima Piano

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:13 pm
I don't. I try my best but I end up only davening shabbos

honey36

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:15 pm
Ive always davened every morning. Used to do mincha too, but stopped that a few years ago even though I technically could fit it in.

As others have said, it only takes 15-20 minutes. Can't say I have much kavanah, but still better than nothing. I can't imagine starting my day without davening. I also don't eat or drink anything before I daven.

I never understood why men are m'chuyav and women aren't. I was always taught the reason that were busy with kids etc. But so what? Men are busy with other things. If I have a baby, If need be I will hold them while I daven. If they need to eat or need a change/help in bathroom, I just pause to take care of it and continue where I left off...

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:19 pm
The last time I davened the full thing, including uleinu lashabayach and ani maamin, was a few weeks ago, 7:30am, at the in Florida. I don't remember the last time before that.

My kabbala this yr Rosh Hashana was to daven brachas every morning. I say is right after my kids bus and only then have my coffee. I can count on my fingers the few days I was busy and forgot. I must say it feels very good.

On shabs I say tehillim, in addition to brachas.

Everyone connects to Hashem differently. Some by tefilla, others by nigunah and many other ways as well.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:42 pm
I have now davened shacharis every day (maybe missed 1 or 2 days) for over 5 years. Well, a highly abbreviated Shacharis! (I daven the minimum for women according to Shulchan Aruch Harav, which is less than what is in Mishna Berura.)

I have also davened Shemoneh Esrei of Mincha ALMOST every day for about 2 years.

It only takes me 5 minutes, but I feel like it really makes a difference.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:55 pm
I daven SOMETHING every day. Sometimes (rarely) its shacharis, sometimes it’s mincha and sometimes it’s maariv. However every single night before I go to sleep I say 2 perakim of tehillim, and I take out my aneini. I’m usually in my pajamas already but my aneini is my daily tefillah and real connection to HaShem. I say a special tefillah for my husband, another one for my children, another one to be protected from tzaros, another one for health, another one for parnassah and now BH another one for a healthy pregnancy and baby. I connect with these tefillos much more than the regular tefillos in the siddur. I don’t say this on shabbos because you’re not supposed to do personal bakashos on shabbos.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 1:21 pm
15-20 minutes is a significant amount of time, especially if it's in one shot. For years I couldn't guarantee having that much consecutive time.
But I really urge everyone to daven daily. Do a minimum of formal tefilla and always throughout the day stay connected with informal prayer. It counts and keeps the mechanism oiled for the times you have to daven more.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 2:04 pm
I do now, but I didn’t always.

When I was working full-time and had small children at home, every moment before leaving to work in the morning was taken up by getting myself and the children ready for the day. I had no time for formal davening (at least in my opinion), so I contented myself with the view that women only need a short (informal) tefillah, and I left it at that.

After a number of years, I looked around and asked myself how much difference there was between my day-to-day life and that of my non-Jewish colleagues (who were also working to support their families and raising kids, etc.) Aside from a few hastily mumbled Brachos, I didn’t see much difference. That’s when I started davening a full davening on my way to work. Not ideal - but the best I could do at that time. To strengthen it, I decided that I would not eat before davening (which really forces me to fit it in and not rely on excuses.)

Fast forward more than 20 years. I now no longer have small children at home, and I felt that davening on the way to work is no longer the best I can do, so I make it a point to get up half hour earlier than I would like, in order to daven at home before leaving to work. I also daven Mincha and Maariv daily.

Point is that different stages in life may lead to different davening, but as long as we are doing our best . . . אחד המרבה ואחד המנעט ובלבד שיכון לבו לשמים . . .

Ima Piano

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 2:59 pm
I talk to hashem alot even though I'm not davening from a siddur

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 3:06 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I do now, but I didn’t always.

When I was working full-time and had small children at home, every moment before leaving to work in the morning was taken up by getting myself and the children ready for the day. I had no time for formal davening (at least in my opinion), so I contented myself with the view that women only need a short (informal) tefillah, and I left it at that.

After a number of years, I looked around and asked myself how much difference there was between my day-to-day life and that of my non-Jewish colleagues (who were also working to support their families and raising kids, etc.) Aside from a few hastily mumbled Brachos, I didn’t see much difference. That’s when I started davening a full davening on my way to work. Not ideal - but the best I could do at that time. To strengthen it, I decided that I would not eat before davening (which really forces me to fit it in and not rely on excuses.)

Fast forward more than 20 years. I now no longer have small children at home, and I felt that davening on the way to work is no longer the best I can do, so I make it a point to get up half hour earlier than I would like, in order to daven at home before leaving to work. I also daven Mincha and Maariv daily.

Point is that different stages in life may lead to different davening, but as long as we are doing our best . . . אחד המרבה ואחד המנעט ובלבד שיכון לבו לשמים . . .

This is so inspiring. Thank you for posting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics