Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Dishwasher on Pesach
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 1:00 am
Is there an issue in using my (all year round) dishwasher on pesach?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 1:03 am
Yes. You cannot kasher a dishwasher if you use it as a dishwasher
I use mine to dry dishes so it’s never run a cycle so I can clean out and continue to use it to dry...
But the heat from the dishwasher cooks the chametz into it and you cannot kasher plastics

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 1:06 am
It’s not possible to kasher even if change racks Sad a dishwasher that was used during the year, cannot be used on Pesach

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 1:09 am
AYLOR

Some say that you can kasher a dishwasher, some say that you can't. Sefardim and Ashkenazim have different opinions, with Sefardim generally allowing kashering.

Also, if the inside is stainless steel, and you change the racks, many Ashkenazim allow kashering as well.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 1:13 am
You need to ask your rabbi how you hold. As you can see by the responses, many people don’t kasher dishwashers, but some do. We hold that you can clean it well (including the filters), leave it off for 24hrs, then run it empty several times to kasher.

The OU also says to consult a local halachic authority because the process is complicated, but it does not say it can’t be done.
https://oukosher.org/passover/.....asher

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 1:32 am
Bh I married sephardi, and my husband's rabbi permits if stainless steel yada yada. It's a production to kasher, but worth it.

I had a discussion with dd today about how pesach would have been different if my dh were Ashkenazi. (My dd also recalls us seeing rice at a SIL's table. She married an Iraqi, and they eat rice on pesach. Unfortunately, it's not 'when in Rome').

I digress. I came home from work at 23:30 and now have three soups on the stove.

Rappel

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 1:38 am
Yalkut Yosef:

Clean it out, and then run a hot cycle with a strong soap.

Don't know about anyone else, but the Ashkenazi Rav of our yishuv ruled similarly.

(This may be different in EY Vs US. Because US luxury permits the possibility of multiple dishwashers, the halachic rulings surrounding dishwashers there are more chumradik.)

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 1:42 am
I was told it's possible but not worth it. Needs to be stainless. Need new racks. Need new water hoses. Never seemed worth it to us.

etky

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 2:43 am
Rappel wrote:
Yalkut Yosef:

Don't know about anyone else, but the Ashkenazi Rav of our yishuv ruled similarly.

(This may be different in EY Vs US. Because US luxury permits the possibility of multiple dishwashers, the halachic rulings surrounding dishwashers there are more chumradik.)

This. We got a psak about using our dishwasher (stainless insides) for both meat and dairy (running hot 'empty' cycles with soap in between but no need for separate racks) during the year based on this consideration of E"Y.
We've been doing this for 30 years.
And many people in our yishuv, Ashkenazim, kasher their dishwashers for Pesach too according to psaks from their rabonim.
However - I just cannot bring myself to do this for Pesach.
I imagine that each machine is different but I have to clean out the 'kishkes' of my dishwasher regularly during the year because it accumulates grime like nobody's business. I think that much of it is soap and rinse aid scum. We use the maximum level of rinse aid because our water is so hard.
Still, it is gross and I can't imagine getting it to the level of sterility that you need in order to make it chametz free in preparation for kashering.

essie14

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 6:11 am
Rappel wrote:
Yalkut Yosef:

This is how my Rav holds as well, in Israel if it makes a difference. I love having my dishwasher for Pesach!

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 7:01 am
I davka bought a stainless steel dishwasher years ago so I could use it on Pesach. Big mistake.

We bought separate racks, at significant expense.

Then discovered you also need all the wheels and gears, and it's a huge pain to deal with that.

We choose to hand wash our dishes now. But since we kasher cutlery, we do throw it in the dishwasher when changing our kitchen back after Pesach, so there's that.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 7:15 am
I was told not to kasher the dishwasher but that I may use it as a drying rack and/or storage. It’s so helpful.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 8:06 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Yes. You cannot kasher a dishwasher if you use it as a dishwasher
I use mine to dry dishes so it’s never run a cycle so I can clean out and continue to use it to dry...
But the heat from the dishwasher cooks the chametz into it and you cannot kasher plastics

What an expensive drying rack. But at least it does not take up counter space.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 8:32 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
What an expensive drying rack. But at least it does not take up counter space.

Just for Pesach. Sounds like it functions as a dishwasher the rest of the year

professor

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there an issue in using my (all year round) dishwasher on pesach?

I don't think so.

I just got a dishwasher for chametz and idk why anyone likes it. 3 hours for a cycle?? It takes me about 15 minutes and I do a much better job scrubbing the pots than the poor, hardworking dishwasher.

My brain: load the dish washer instead of wasting time on imamother

Me: but if I wash it myself, I will have more time to be online and HELP people, K?

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:38 am
We empty one cabinet and one drawer each for milchigs and fleishigs for Pesach, to store our Pesach things. All of that year round stuff goes in the dishwashers, which we tape up.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 11:02 am
In our community you can kasher your dishwasher if you can clean it first. Older ones with cracks may be too hard to clean but newer ones are not too hard to clean

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 11:59 am
We kasher the dishwasher by running it through extra hot sanitizing cycles a few times with soap. Then we use it as a drying rack for Pesach.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 12:32 pm
Rappel wrote:
Yalkut Yosef:

You're hanging with the wrong crowd. Or maybe the right one. I don't know a soul who has a separate Pesach dishwasher.

My rabbi allows us to kasher the dishwasher. I did it once, and the darned thing leaked, so it had to be replaced. I took it as a sign not to use it on Pesach.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 2:16 pm
My family kashers dishwashers for Pesach as long as the interior tub is stainless. It is definitely an AYLOR.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions