Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Dog was hit by a car
1  2  3  Next

Rappel

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 6:54 am
They're by the vet now.

My neighbor said it's a kaparat avonot, better the dog than, say, something Terrible to a kid. I know she's right, but I'm still sad.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 6:56 am
Just the extra drama (and expense) that was lacking on erev Pesach.

How serious is it?

Hoping not too bad, and that he can make a full recovery.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 7:03 am
Oh no, poor dog! I hope everything turns out OK.

Do dogs generally go off leash in your yishuv?

I'll be thinking good thoughts for your doggo. Please keep us updated. Hug

Rappel

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 7:08 am
Elfrida wrote:
Just the extra drama (and expense) that was lacking on erev Pesach.

How serious is it?

Hoping not too bad, and that he can make a full recovery.

Pneumothorax
Her belly was torn open
Leg either dislocated or broken

Further injuries unknown

Rappel

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 7:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh no, poor dog! I hope everything turns out OK.

Do dogs generally go off leash in your yishuv?

I'll be thinking good thoughts for your doggo. Please keep us updated. Hug

We let her run off-lead when we walk her outside the settled area. DH and DS took her into the forest, and they were collecting sticks around there when a car went speeding along the (lonely, abandoned) road below the forest. Ally was off after it in an instant. She could never resist a race - she's a wild dog mix, with the build of a Saluki/greyhound. But this time it too close.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 7:26 am
Leg - a matter of time
Pneumothorax - should be treatable
Belly - not so good.

The positive thing is that your husband was there and able to get her to the vet at once. Is the local vet equipped for this, or will she have to go to the hospital?

I'm sorry. This isn't going to be an easy Pesach.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 7:50 am
Rappel wrote:
We let her run off-lead when we walk her outside the settled area. DH and DS took her into the forest, and they were collecting sticks around there when a car went speeding along the (lonely, abandoned) road below the forest. Ally was off after it in an instant. She could never resist a race - she's a wild dog mix, with the build of a Saluki/greyhound. But this time it too close.

I am so very sorry.

After I wrote that, I thought "I hope I didn't come across as blaming you for anything that happened!"

Even the most domesticated dog can suddenly get a wild urge and do something unpredictable. I'm sure there was no way of knowing in advance that this could happen.

I was at the Australian Shepherd national championships one year, and a 5 time international champion Aussie was let off lead to play in a field. He was chasing bugs, and swallowed a bee. He died on the spot of anaphylactic shock.

Having been in the show world for 10 years, you hear all kinds of crazy stories.

watergirl

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 7:56 am
Oh my goodness I am so sorry to hear this!! How upsetting!!! Your neighbor should not have said that to you! How insensitive!!

grace413

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 8:09 am
Sorry Hug Hug

Rappel

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 8:21 am
Elfrida wrote:
Leg - a matter of time
Pneumothorax - should be treatable
Belly - not so good.

The positive thing is that your husband was there and able to get her to the vet at once. Is the local vet equipped for this, or will she have to go to the hospital?

I'm sorry. This isn't going to be an easy Pesach.

The local vet wanted to send her to the hospital, but we can't do that level of care. The man is a mensch, though, and he gave us an offer inside of our budget and tested and treated her here. He doesn't think there's anything life-threatening. We get to bring her home at 17:30.

In case we hadn't planned on being home for pesach... Now we're definitely home. Chag kasher v'sameach?

Rappel

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 8:27 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am so very sorry.

After I wrote that, I thought "I hope I didn't come across as blaming you for anything that happened!"

Even the most domesticated dog can suddenly get a wild urge and do something unpredictable. I'm sure there was no way of knowing in advance that this could happen.

I was at the Australian Shepherd national championships one year, and a 5 time international champion Aussie was let off lead to play in a field. He was chasing bugs, and swallowed a bee. He died on the spot of anaphylactic shock.

Having been in the show world for 10 years, you hear all kinds of crazy stories.

Yeah, crazy things do happen.

She's got very strong hound instincts. And she can RUN. She's really, really fast. Competition level, if we ever cared to take her in that direction. So we let her off lead and let her run off her energy at least once a day.

If we think a car is coming, we call her over before temptation strikes. but I guess DH didn't see/hear the car this time, and she did. And once she's after a goal, there's no distracting her.

monseymom25

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 9:03 am
Rappel I’m so sorry. I hope he has a quick and easy recovery! How old was your son who saw it happen? At any age this was probably traumatic for him. I think you should be aware and let him talk about it and be there for him. I can tell from your posts you’re a terrific, aware mother so I’m just sending a reminder... chag Sam each.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 9:04 am
I am so sorry!

Rappel

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 9:16 am
monseymom25 wrote:
Rappel I’m so sorry. I hope he has a quick and easy recovery! How old was your son who saw it happen? At any age this was probably traumatic for him. I think you should be aware and let him talk about it and be there for him. I can tell from your posts you’re a terrific, aware mother so I’m just sending a reminder... chag Sam each.

It's a good reminder.

He's a little under 5. He's been talking a lot about the blood (he didn't like it), and he's been very sanctimonious about being careful about cars. I'm validating him, and answering his questions.

Animal death isn't new to my kids. They've seen shechitah next door, they have seen animals get eaten, so when I told them the dog might die, they took it in good stride. DS needed to confirm that there wouldn't be more blood if the doctors manage to treat her, and then he was okay with the idea of her surviving. Can't Believe It

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 10:09 am
Hope your dog recovers. Hug
For all that's worth, our dd had a kitten that got run over by a car last summer (and she saw all the mess) and after burying it in the garden she was very reasonable about it. Our kids have also seen some of our chickens die and we've been through several pairs of goldfishes - they took it all with kind of almost technical interest, asking about the afterlife options of animals and if we can meet all our animals again at tchiyat hameitim.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 10:58 am
Yep, I have a sighthound, too. My dog is a Silken Windsprite (long haired whippet.)

She is the calmest and most obedient dog ever, until something moves. Then it's like she goes completely deaf, and nothing else in the world matters. As soon as the object, cat, car stops moving, she loses all interest.

Fetch the ball! She goes crazy, and then when the ball stops, she just looks at it like "Mom, the ball died. What do I do now?"

I walk her late at night, on the longest flexi-lead I could find. That way she can run within limits.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 11:15 am
Rappel wrote:
They're by the vet now.

My neighbor said it's a kaparat avonot, better the dog than, say, something Terrible to a kid. I know she's right, but I'm still sad.

I’m so sorry. I have a dog too. Hopefully he’ll be ok.

CatLady

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 11:50 am
Hoping your doggo has a complete recovery. ((((Hugs))))

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 2:05 pm
Ouch! That’s painful for a pet owner to go through. Refuah sheleima!

BH Yom Yom

Post Fri, Mar 26 2021, 3:57 pm
Refuah sheleimah to your doggie! I’m so sorry. Bez”H Hashem should guide the hands of the veterinary team to heal her ASAP. 🐶💕🐾
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets