Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Early signs of autism
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 29 2021, 11:37 pm
What are early signs in babies of autism?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Mar 29 2021, 11:45 pm
Look up the infant sibling study. They discovered signs in babies as young as six months.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 1:17 am
andrea levy wrote:
Look up the infant sibling study. They discovered signs in babies as young as six months.

Will check it out thanks.
Want to hear from moms that have kids with asd what you noticed in children when they were babies.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 1:54 am
My son with aspergers didn't make eye contact ..he looked just past me, kind of like above and to the side.
As a newborn, he felt very stiff when I tried to cuddle with him or hold him.
He smiled on time but his smile always looked worried

He had certain developmental delays..
By the time he was 2, he seemed to be a totally normal kid.
When he was 13, he was diagnosed with aspergers..

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 3:20 am
My sil would say that her dd with autism wouldn't really make eye contact. Also, although she did smile, it wasn't in response to SIL or another person smiling, more her own thing. As she got older and went to daycare, she wasn't as interested in other children and in photos she was always the one person sitting on the side by herself.
My sil started her in therapies when she was barely three and now at age 7 she seems neurotypical to anyone who doesn't know. Most of her therapies are already stopped.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 3:30 am
Eye contact differences. Developmental delays, including patterns of reaching a milestone and then losing it, then coming back to it weeks or months later. Didn’t wave or point. Didn’t look where I pointed (looked at my finger instead). Stacked or lined up toys instead of playing with them. Rocking back and forth hugging a musical toy for a lot longer than a typical baby would. Low tone and gross motor issues, but seems probably more related to a different diagnosis. As the months went on we saw more and more signs. Pediatrician told us it’s autism at 11 months. Formal diagnosis was at 17 months (took time to get an appointment for the full work up).

ETA: My other kids slept best when they were cosleeping with me, but he slept best alone. I would cuddle him and he’d be happy until he was ready to sleep and then he’d fuss until I put him to bed alone.

Also to clarify about eye contact, there were times when he wouldn’t make eye contact and times when he looked so intently it was like he was peering into my soul. That’s still the same now (he’s 3).

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:28 am
Didn't cuddle and wanted fall asleep on his own in the crib instead of in my arms. Didnt cry very much and was content to sit alone for long periods. Speech was a little delayed and when he was older, around one or two, didn't seem to care if I came in the room where he was or if I took something away from him or if I picked him up and moved him away from what he was doing. I got no reaction to that and I thought it was strange.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:39 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Eye contact differences. Developmental delays, including patterns of reaching a milestone and then losing it, then coming back to it weeks or months later. Didn’t wave or point. Didn’t look where I pointed (looked at my finger instead). Stacked or lined up toys instead of playing with them. Rocking back and forth hugging a musical toy for a lot longer than a typical baby would. Low tone and gross motor issues, but seems probably more related to a different diagnosis. As the months went on we saw more and more signs. Pediatrician told us it’s autism at 11 months. Formal diagnosis was at 17 months (took time to get an appointment for the full work up).

ETA: My other kids slept best when they were cosleeping with me, but he slept best alone. I would cuddle him and he’d be happy until he was ready to sleep and then he’d fuss until I put him to bed alone.

Also to clarify about eye contact, there were times when he wouldn’t make eye contact and times when he looked so intently it was like he was peering into my soul. That’s still the same now (he’s 3).

All of this!
When my son was1 year, doctor said that he has low muscle tone and might never walk. He walked a few months later, and at the time it seemed the doctor was a quack.
He liked to play by himself, making puzzles for hours.
As he grew older, he developed ocd tendencies.
Also, many Aspie kids are very smart. Like professors. They memorize information..my son was reading way before other kids in his class.
Exactly what she said about eye contact. He either avoids eye contact, or he stares at you so intently that you need to look away.
The also say that kids on the spectrum are exceptionally beautiful. Anyone ever hear this?

ETA: my son was an exceptionally beautiful baby, the type that I couldn't keep my eyes off him. (He was not my first). Everyone would comment on his beauty. He looked nothing like the rest of us. Until today, he is strikingly handsome (he is almost 18), almost feminine looking. I never knew this was a thing until someone mentioned it to me a few years ago. I googled it and it seems like autistic kids have a different facial structure than neurotypical kids.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:46 am
I've known some kids on the spectrum who were pretty average looking, nothing special or gorgeous about them. They're people, just like everyone else.

A friend of mine knew her third child was different from the day he was born. His cry was more strained sounding, and he was extremely sensory avoidant. The slightest sound would startle him, and it would take him a long time to settle down. The eye contact thing was not there, either.

He pretty much screamed and tantrumed non stop from an early age, and was very hard to console. He hated being touched, or swaddled in any way. As an adult, he's considered moderate to severe, and can only go out with a parent or a care taker. He does daily activities in a supported work environment during the week, and lives at home.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:50 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've known some kids on the spectrum who were pretty average looking, nothing special or gorgeous about them. They're people, just like everyone else.

e.

Google it.

EtA https://www.theguardian.com/li.....es102

This describes my son. No vanity or fashion sense. Just naturally good looking. (And I do not think all my kids are good looking at all.)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:56 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Google it.

Fascinating! Maybe there's a difference between ASD and Asperger's kids. What

I think kids with Williams Syndrome are adorable. At my old shul there was this little guy who had curly red hair, and I was obsessed with how cute he was.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:56 am
All of this!
When my son was1 year, doctor said that he has low muscle tone and might never walk. He walked a few months later, and at the time it seemed the doctor was a quack.
He liked to play by himself, making puzzles for hours.
As he grew older, he developed ocd tendencies.
Also, many Aspie kids are very smart. Like professors. They memorize information..my son was reading way before other kids in his class.
Exactly what she said about eye contact. He either avoids eye contact, or he stares at you so intently that you need to look away.
The also say that kids on the spectrum are exceptionally beautiful. Anyone ever hear this?

ETA: my son was an exceptionally beautiful baby, the type that I couldn't keep my eyes off him. (He was not my first). Everyone would comment on his beauty. He looked nothing like the rest of us. Until today, he is strikingly handsome (he is almost 18), almost feminine looking. I never knew this was a thing until someone mentioned it to me a few years ago. I googled it and it seems like autistic kids have a different facial structure than neurotypical kids.
\

So interesting!! My son who has autism is extremely good looking - way more than my other kids.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 9:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Fascinating! Maybe there's a difference between ASD and Asperger's kids. What

I think kids with Williams Syndrome are adorable. At my old shul there was this little guy who had curly red hair, and I was obsessed with how cute he was.

My son was not just cute. He was gorgeous.
Its hard to explain, but the best way to describe it would be angelic looking.
He is 18 now and a very difficult kid at times, so I certainly don't think of him as angelic. But when he was a newborn up until teenage, he had an angelic look. Large deep eyes, high forhead, perfect nose and wide mouth. Perfect figure.

Another feature was that he had a very hard time transitioning from one thing to another. He still has this. I had to give him tons of advance notice if I was making a change in his schedule. (Which never happened because I am very last minute.)

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:12 am
My son was not just cute. He was gorgeous.
Its hard to explain, but the best way to describe it would be angelic looking.
He is 18 now and a very difficult kid at times, so I certainly don't think of him as angelic. But when he was a newborn up until teenage, he had an angelic look. Large deep eyes, high forhead, perfect nose and wide mouth. Perfect figure.

Another feature was that he had a very hard time transitioning from one thing to another. He still has this. I had to give him tons of advance notice if I was making a change in his schedule. (Which never happened because I am very last minute.)

Angelic!!! That’s EXACTLY how my son looks!!! I always say his defining feature is purity. He is gorgeous inside and out. I don’t just say that as his mother. Of course all my kids are the cutest, most beautiful ever. But this kid has a different quality to his looks. Exceptional, heavenly beauty. I think it’s his soul radiating through the physical, but who knows.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 11:24 am
Thanks for the responses. I think its to early to tell. Or im just jumping to conclusions wayyy to quick. Since my other child is just over all extremely delayed.
This baby is 8 months old and also not doing much. Rolled a handful of times but not consistent. Doesnt really move on the floor. Whats concerning me the most is shes constantly moving her hands and feet. Palms of her hands inwards.. also does a bit of flapping... when she lays on floor pulls her hands back...she does have good eye contact and does babble.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 11:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I think its to early to tell. Or im just jumping to conclusions wayyy to quick. Since my other child is just over all extremely delayed.
This baby is 8 months old and also not doing much. Rolled a handful of times but not consistent. Doesnt really move on the floor. Whats concerning me the most is shes constantly moving her hands and feet. Palms of her hands inwards.. also does a bit of flapping... when she lays on floor pulls her hands back...she does have good eye contact and does babble.

Get her a full evaluation through EI you can help her.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 12:11 pm
The flapping is one the signs. Its called stimming.
My son had different stimming habits over the years, like nervous habits.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 12:14 pm
Best thing you can do for your baby is to give as much 1:1 attention as you can.

Try to play together with a toy. Imitate his/her actions and try to get baby to imitate yours.

Smile, clap hand - try to get baby to imitate.

Wave toy slowly in front of baby and encourage baby to track toy with eyes.

Turn off light and shine flashlight on wall. Slowly move the light, encourage baby to track
the light.

Talk to baby - now we are going to change your diaper. repeat the word diaper - waving the
diaper in front of baby.

Now we are going to take a bath. while you dress and undress - gently squeeze body parts and
name them - hands, feet, head. Tickle belly.

In the bath, repeat "water" and splash baby's hands in water.

If you can, get a baby play date where babies can see each other.

To improve muscle tone - as much tummy time as possible.

Hold baby in standing position, letting baby support as much weight as possible.

Hatzlochah.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 12:16 pm
The flapping is one the signs. Its called stimming.
My son had different stimming habits over the years, like nervous habits.

Flapping would be stimming behavior for a 3 year old, but normal in a baby.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 12:27 pm
For my son it was a number of items. He had major sensory issues and would scream hysterically when the phone would ring or the vacuum cleaner was turned on. Starved himself due to many many textures he couldn't handle. Would overly fixate on numbers and letters as a toddler (self taught to read and do multiplication as a toddler). Extreme rigid routine related to bottle and sippy cup
that led to hours and hours of screaming. Social issues which included not interacting properly with others. We knew at 2 but diagnosed at 3
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)