Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Ashkenazi or Sephardi?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 11:06 am
This is more of a curiosity question, but when a man converts, does he take on Askenazic or Sephardic minhagim?

DH's father is a convert. His mother is sephardi. FIL and MIL continue all of MIL's family's traditions, since she was the one raised with them. DH was raised sephardi. His older brother considers himself sephardi. For some reason, DH believes he's Askenaz? His father is European, and his paternal great grandfather was incidentally Askenazi, but FIL wasn't born Jewish.

It doesn't really make or break anything for me. We live OOT where the rabbi happens to be Ashkenaz but the shul is a mix. I just find it weird that with two brothers, one thinks they're sephardi one thinks they're Ashkenaz. (And not that it makes an iota of difference, but DH looks the most sephardi of his family.)

We go to MIL's house for seder and she serves rice but DH doesn't eat it even though he was raised on it. Idk. I don't get it. Do you just decide what you want to be?

ETA: maybe it matters to DH that he was named after his Ashkenazi great grandfather?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 11:49 am
Often converts go according to the Beit Dim that converted them, especially because it usually represents the community in which the person has decided to live. But in theory, they can choose.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 12:08 pm
So if fil says he's sephardi, how does DH come to be Ashkenaz?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 12:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So if fil says he's sephardi, how does DH come to be Ashkenaz?

What does your husband say? Why did he choose to be sephardi?

I would think he went to ashkenaz schools or shuls, or else a rebbe or rav recommended that he choose ashkenaz for some reason. I don't see how any of us can know his reasons for choosing ashkenaz. Only he can tell you.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 3:44 pm
Probably by whoever converted them. Or background.
My husband's father isnt jewish but his mom is ashkenaz. But also he became frum thru ashkenaz. And we are ashkenaz.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 3:46 pm
Some converts have Jewish fathers and go by their minhag.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 3:52 pm
Also, if he is from the sefardi lands, he may choose to be sefardi. If his roots are from Eastern Europe, he may choose to be Ashkenazi.
But afaik, he can choose his minhagim.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 3:52 pm
Presumably Askenazi customs.

Sefardim do not accept geirim in the United States so how and why would a convert join a Sephardi community?

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 4:09 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

Sefardim do not accept geirim in the United States so how and why would a convert join a Sephardi community?

That's not true, this is exclusively the Syrian community, does not apply to other sephardic communities.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 7:25 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

FIL is from Europe and converted in Israel. MIL is from a sephardi community and never lived in the US. There's a whole world of people and sephardim outside of the US.

I think DH is following his great grandfather's line down his father's side, regardless of how his father converted and how he was raised.

So does the concept of Askenaz/Sephard transmit through non-Jewish children if their children convert?

greenteaorange

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 9:04 pm
Sounds like you should
Speak to a Rav about this. I believe halachically if your FIL keeps sefardiac Halacha and chose to be sefardi I think your husband is officially sefardi and should be keeping sefardi halacha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions