Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Emotional child getting hurt from relative with ment

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 7:55 pm
My 8 year old child is extremely emotionally aware and highly sensitive. She is extremely close to a relative who struggles with a mood disorder and depression. She used to be extremely warm to my child and they had a very close relationship. Lately this relative has been acting cold and distant and sometimes outright mean. My child cries constantly and it’s really hard for her. I have tried explaining this to the relative and there was a slight improvement for a day.. It didn’t last at all. Every time we get together it’s something else. How can my child emotionally distance herself from this relationship so that she shouldn’t get so hurt?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:21 pm
How about not getting together very often for a start.

naomi2

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 9:17 pm
You might have to talk to your child about it instead of talking to the relative. The relative doesn't have full control over their actions and emotions, you can't expect them to change. Your daughter should know though that the relative is ill in a manner of speaking and she shouldn't take things personally or think she is bad. They should also limit contact with each other.

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:23 pm
Your daughter comes first. Don’t visit the relative if it’s not good for your daughter.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:50 am
naomi2 wrote:
You might have to talk to your child about it instead of talking to the relative. The relative doesn't have full control over their actions and emotions, you can't expect them to change. Your daughter should know though that the relative is ill in a manner of speaking and she shouldn't take things personally or think she is bad. They should also limit contact with each other.

I would totally tell my daughter that. However I am nervous that she’s too young and might repeat it to this relative
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics