Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to make my 2.5-year-old DD's curly hair nicely
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 7:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's interesting - I never found that a wide-toothed comb did anything to help my own hair. Why is that the rule of thumb for curly hair? I only ever touched it when wet, but still, wide-toothed doesn't give it any sort of shape.

The comb is used to take out the tangles. Not to give it shape.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:22 pm
I have kinky curly hair and used a brush in the shower, no need for a wide tooth comb, just never brush when it's not soaking wet.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:11 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I have kinky curly hair and used a brush in the shower, no need for a wide tooth comb, just never brush when it's not soaking wet.

That's what I always did with my own hair. Makes more sense to me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:12 am
Is there any way to maintain the curls when she goes to bed at night?

Mindys_mommy

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:16 am
Deva Curl shampoo and leave in conditioner. Also look into curly girl method.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:16 am
Mindys_mommy wrote:
Deva Curl shampoo and leave in conditioner. Also look into curly girl method.

I'm not into the curly girl method, but I will check out that shampoo and conditioner.

HakarasHatov

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's interesting - I never found that a wide-toothed comb did anything to help my own hair. Why is that the rule of thumb for curly hair? I only ever touched it when wet, but still, wide-toothed doesn't give it any sort of shape.
my self and all my kids have curly hair, I found that a comb works better for the thick curly hair, while a brush works better on the thin curly hair. I keep their hair pulled back even on Shabbos, because otherwise we have to detangle alot and they would rather not spend extra time on that. Once in a while they would wear is down Friday night after a bath, but then it doesn't look as nice in a pony Shabbos day vs if I just put it in a pony right away Friday night. Shabbos morning I use a spray bottle and a baby brush to tame the frizzies (ask your own LOR).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:11 am
HakarasHatov wrote:
my self and all my kids have curly hair, I found that a comb works better for the thick curly hair, while a brush works better on the thin curly hair. I keep their hair pulled back even on Shabbos, because otherwise we have to detangle alot and they would rather not spend extra time on that. Once in a while they would wear is down Friday night after a bath, but then it doesn't look as nice in a pony Shabbos day vs if I just put it in a pony right away Friday night. Shabbos morning I use a spray bottle and a baby brush to tame the frizzies (ask your own LOR).

Hmm. My daughter and I both have the thick curly hair, so maybe the comb will work better.

I totally agree about the pony not looking as nice Shabbos day if it was down Friday night.

I had not realized that you are allowed to use a spray bottle with water on Shabbos. Might have changed my life as a kid. But I will ask about the baby brush. It doesn't make the hair more frizzy?

Frumme

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:34 am
What brand of shampoo and conditioner are you using? How often do you shampoo and condition her hair?

Curls hate hate hate silicone. It drags them down. Find a silicone free formula, for both conditioner and shampoo. I find adult conditioner works best even on kids. Tresemme Pure or Suave Naturally Derived are both great options (of course keep away from eyes).

Also don't shampoo every day. If you must, only use conditioner every day; otherwise, only shampoo every other day or every 2 days. Shampooing dries out the hair and curls need moisture. Put DDs daughter in a bun while in the bath (that's what I do)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:35 am
Frumme wrote:
What brand of shampoo and conditioner are you using? How often do you shampoo and condition her hair?

Curls hate hate hate silicone. It drags them down. Find a silicone free formula, for both conditioner and shampoo. I find adult conditioner works best even on kids. Tresemme Pure or Suave Naturally Derived are both great options (of course keep away from eyes).

Also don't shampoo every day. If you must, only use conditioner every day; otherwise, only shampoo every other day or every 2 days. Shampooing dries out the hair and curls need moisture. Put DDs daughter in a bun while in the bath (that's what I do)

Interesting. I use the regular Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. I shampoo every other day, usually.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting. I use the regular Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. I shampoo every other day, usually.

What brand of conditioner do you use?

We’ve been using nice thick Pantene On my curly hair girl and it makes her hair fairly easy to comb through. The thicker the conditioner the better

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there any way to maintain the curls when she goes to bed at night?

Buns and plopping after showers. No towels on hair. Brushing from the bottom to the top.

Why are you anti the curly girl method? Was a lifesaver for me. Never used gels or mousses in years because my curls aren't frizzy.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:43 am
Ime, Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo adds to the frizz.
Deva curl products are a bit controversial now, evidently there is a big lawsuit going on because a lot of people claim it caused major hair loss.
Sounds like you are dealing with very thick, kinky curls which is why I recommended you check out Ouidad. I have very thin, fine curls so the products were just so-so on me, but the products/methods would likely be great on you/your daughter.

imeinu

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:58 am
I find comb or brush in the shower, either work fine, but thats it. my kids like tresseme shampoo & conditioner. I always tell my kids when they have bed-head on shabbos morning that that is the beauty of a shomer shabbos yid! 3 day yom tov...braid before yom tov if the hair is long enough. otherwise a cute hair accessory that holds down the hair a bit. like a wide headband with flower or bow (no teeth!)

Frumme

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 9:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We use Suave Natural Kids with Coconut Oil and then I double up with an adult conditioner

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 9:20 am
We use The Honest Company orange-vanilla conditioning detangler spray every time we brush my daughter's hair (it is top-rated on Amazon). It's the best detangler we have tried. My daughter does not have curly hair but she has thick wavy hair (she gets it thinned out regularly to make it more manageable). I have tried other detanglers before and found them disappointing.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hmm. My daughter and I both have the thick curly hair, so maybe the comb will work better.

I totally agree about the pony not looking as nice Shabbos day if it was down Friday night.

I had not realized that you are allowed to use a spray bottle with water on Shabbos. Might have changed my life as a kid. But I will ask about the baby brush. It doesn't make the hair more frizzy?
The issue with the spray bottle is that you’re not allowed to squeeze on shabbos. You can’t make the hair dripping wet because then you need to worry about touching it and causing water to squeeze out. I guess you can spray and make the hair just slightly damp. I wouldn’t have thought to use a spray bottle on shabbos either to be honest.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:38 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
The issue with the spray bottle is that you’re not allowed to squeeze on shabbos. You can’t make the hair dripping wet because then you need to worry about touching it and causing water to squeeze out. I guess you can spray and make the hair just slightly damp. I wouldn’t have thought to use a spray bottle on shabbos either to be honest.

You’re not spraying to saturate it but rather to dampen it. But of course everyone should do what they learned to do

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 1:56 pm
On Shabbos, spray with water and have her shake her head back and forth (like she is saying no). It rejuvenates the curls. Then either put it in a headband or half up in a small pony.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 1:57 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
You’re not spraying to saturate it but rather to dampen it. But of course everyone should do what they learned to do

You can spray enough to dampen but not too much cuz squeezing is assur. It's a fine line and therefore many people opt to just not go there. It's hard to tell when damp becomes too damp.

If you practice and go slow with the water and spray it's doable. I used to do it when I was single. I called a Rav and was told I could spray to make it damp but be very careful it's not wet enough to squeeze out water.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics