Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to make my 2.5-year-old DD's curly hair nicely
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

elsily

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 5:46 pm
At night time, make a pineapple with her hair. Flip her head forward, gather all the curls on the top of her head and secure with one of those hair ties that looks like an old telephone cord (spiral ties or something). It won’t leave an indent in her hair and it should keep the curls protected. Spray with water in the morning to refresh. Definitely look up curly girl method!

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:20 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I have kinky curly hair and used a brush in the shower, no need for a wide tooth comb, just never brush when it's not soaking wet.

Wet hair is more fragile, and breaks more when brushed. That's why a comb is preferable. If you prefer a brush, try the Tangle Teaser or Wet Brush.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:01 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
What brand of conditioner do you use?

We’ve been using nice thick Pantene On my curly hair girl and it makes her hair fairly easy to comb through. The thicker the conditioner the better

I haven't been conditioning. For my own hair, I use Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner, but I don't really care about how mine looks all that much anymore.

I've been hesitant to use adult products on a 2-year-old. Does that make any sense, or is it just my still seeing her as a baby?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:08 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Buns and plopping after showers. No towels on hair. Brushing from the bottom to the top.

Why are you anti the curly girl method? Was a lifesaver for me. Never used gels or mousses in years because my curls aren't frizzy.

What do you mean by plops?

I don't know, curly girl just seemed a little radical and time-consuming to me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:09 pm
imeinu wrote:
I find comb or brush in the shower, either work fine, but thats it. my kids like tresseme shampoo & conditioner. I always tell my kids when they have bed-head on shabbos morning that that is the beauty of a shomer shabbos yid! 3 day yom tov...braid before yom tov if the hair is long enough. otherwise a cute hair accessory that holds down the hair a bit. like a wide headband with flower or bow (no teeth!)

I've tried the headband, but the whole back is out of control by the second day of Yom Tov.

I'd love to braid... if she'd let me. Sad

You'd use Tresemme on a 2-year-old? I personally never liked their products all that much; they don't smell that great and I didn't find that they did anything for me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:10 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Ime, Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo adds to the frizz.
Deva curl products are a bit controversial now, evidently there is a big lawsuit going on because a lot of people claim it caused major hair loss.
Sounds like you are dealing with very thick, kinky curls which is why I recommended you check out Ouidad. I have very thin, fine curls so the products were just so-so on me, but the products/methods would likely be great on you/your daughter.

Thanks for the info.

Let me check Ouidad.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:11 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
We use The Honest Company orange-vanilla conditioning detangler spray every time we brush my daughter's hair (it is top-rated on Amazon). It's the best detangler we have tried. My daughter does not have curly hair but she has thick wavy hair (she gets it thinned out regularly to make it more manageable). I have tried other detanglers before and found them disappointing.

Good to know.

I'm starting to get confused by all the recommendations. Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:12 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
The issue with the spray bottle is that you’re not allowed to squeeze on shabbos. You can’t make the hair dripping wet because then you need to worry about touching it and causing water to squeeze out. I guess you can spray and make the hair just slightly damp. I wouldn’t have thought to use a spray bottle on shabbos either to be honest.

Yeah, I think this is why I was always under the assumption that you can't do it. How wet is too wet? How do you prevent yourself from squeezing it afterward?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:12 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
On Shabbos, spray with water and have her shake her head back and forth (like she is saying no). It rejuvenates the curls. Then either put it in a headband or half up in a small pony.

She looks adorable with her hair half up as long as it's not all over the place. Let me see if this suggestion can make a difference on Yom Tov.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:17 pm
elsily wrote:
At night time, make a pineapple with her hair. Flip her head forward, gather all the curls on the top of her head and secure with one of those hair ties that looks like an old telephone cord (spiral ties or something). It won’t leave an indent in her hair and it should keep the curls protected. Spray with water in the morning to refresh. Definitely look up curly girl method!

What type of tie?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah, I think this is why I was always under the assumption that you can't do it. How wet is too wet? How do you prevent yourself from squeezing it afterward?

I never had a problem, but like I said, my hair is thin, fine curls so lightly misting it and then just raking my fingers thru lightly was sufficient. I never got it saturated just slightly damp.

I know someone who has several daughters with hair like you describe. She uses Ouidad on all of them, and they have gorgeous, stunning ringlets.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:28 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I never had a problem, but like I said, my hair is thin, fine curls so lightly misting it and then just raking my fingers thru lightly was sufficient. I never got it saturated just slightly damp.

I know someone who has several daughters with hair like you describe. She uses Ouidad on all of them, and they have gorgeous, stunning ringlets.

Do you know which specific Ouidad products work well?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you know which specific Ouidad products work well?

I don't know what products she uses, but I know there's a kids line. If you go on the website, I think you can take a "curl quiz" and it will give you recs based on that. I am sure there are also videos that explain how to style hair and use the products.

bumpkin2

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 9:01 pm
What works for my 2 year old twins is when their hair is wet (I do this in the AM), I'll put oil in their hair and then brush it and let is air dry. I use the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Marvelous Oil- Dry to Very Dry... and I apply VERY LIBERALLY.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 9:12 pm
OP I've been following since I have a daughter the same age with curls. I know about all these curly rules and the curly methods and products but it does seem a bit much for a child that young! My daughter is always hiding under blankets or rubbing her head on the floor. I feel like that stuff would work for an older girl who cared about keeping her hair nice.

I'm going to try the spray bottle/ half pony and I already finger comb rather than brush in the mornings. I think the rest can happen when she's older and cares more about how her hair looks. (Unless she does now).

Frumme

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I've been hesitant to use adult products on a 2-year-old. Does that make any sense, or is it just my still seeing her as a baby?

Well what would be the issue? The Suave Natural products and the Tresemme Pure Pro line I mentioned before both have no sulfates, dyes, parabens, or silicones in them. Just be careful about her eyes and you should be fine. Nothing to worry about

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:57 pm
I put Bobby pins in front to make it flat and keep it short and curly lake a halo.
My 2.5 and 5 yr old wear like that.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 4:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you mean by plops?

I don't know, curly girl just seemed a little radical and time-consuming to me.

It's a lot to get into but after you get it the hair is so much healthier and happier. You don't need to buy and use mousse and all this stuff for styling as much.

Plopping means flipping the hair upside down and lowering it into a microfiber towel or t-shirt and tying it on top of the head to dry. Towels are terrible for curls and this helps maintain the roots don't get dragged down when drying as well. It also makes the drying time faster.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 4:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's why many people just avoid it altogether.

Rappel

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 4:42 am
elsily wrote:

What's a good night-time solution for short hair? DD has the sweetest curls... When they're in good condition! Wet hair at bedtime is our Waterloo.

I'm reading this thread avidly for tips, since my own hair is straw-straight, and I have no idea how to support her hair!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics