Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to make my 2.5-year-old DD's curly hair nicely
Previous  1  2  3  4

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 5:00 am
Rappel wrote:
What's a good night-time solution for short hair? DD has the sweetest curls... When they're in good condition! Wet hair at bedtime is our Waterloo.

I'm reading this thread avidly for tips, since my own hair is straw-straight, and I have no idea how to support her hair!

Get a satin pillowcase. Her curls won't fit into a pony at all?

Rappel

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 5:09 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Get a satin pillowcase. Her curls won't fit into a pony at all?

I'm thinking now...

she doesn't really sleep with her pillow, and I didn't want to get her a satin sheet to sleep on: it sounded uncomfortably warm. But I wonder if there is some kind of satin sleep cap I could use, or make? How would that work?

She has chin-length hair. If I divide her hair into three ponytails, then I can put it all up. But there's still a 'tail at the back when I do that. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 5:46 am
Rappel wrote:
I'm thinking now...

she doesn't really sleep with her pillow, and I didn't want to get her a satin sheet to sleep on: it sounded uncomfortably warm. But I wonder if there is some kind of satin sleep cap I could use, or make? How would that work?

She has chin-length hair. If I divide her hair into three ponytails, then I can put it all up. But there's still a 'tail at the back when I do that. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I didn't suggest a satin sleepcap because I had a feeling a little girl wouldn't like it and would just rip it off. But yes that's another option.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 10:04 am
I know I'm jumping in a little late here. But as far as I know, it's assur to wet hair on Shabbos, no matter what method you use. The issue isn't using the spray bottle, it's wetting the hair. Please ask your Rav.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I know I'm jumping in a little late here. But as far as I know, it's assur to wet hair on Shabbos, no matter what method you use. The issue isn't using the spray bottle, it's wetting the hair. Please ask your Rav.

No, it's not. You shouldn't get it saturated, but it can get wet.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 10:16 am
Read curly girl by deva

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 11:03 am

Ask your LOR. I did. Mine said the only issue is squeezing.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 11:14 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
OP I've been following since I have a daughter the same age with curls. I know about all these curly rules and the curly methods and products but it does seem a bit much for a child that young! My daughter is always hiding under blankets or rubbing her head on the floor. I feel like that stuff would work for an older girl who cared about keeping her hair nice.

I'm going to try the spray bottle/ half pony and I already finger comb rather than brush in the mornings. I think the rest can happen when she's older and cares more about how her hair looks. (Unless she does now).

Agreed. Some of this info would've been great for me starting from when I was eight or so. I did get a few suggestions that I'll actually look at, like the wide-toothed comb and using the spray bottle. I'm also going to try a different shampoo and start conditioning, since why not? Other than that, I'll keep this thread on reserve for when she gets older.

Frumme

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 12:06 pm

If that was the case, women wouldn't be allowed to go to mikvah Friday night. It's more nuanced than "it's assur." We should all ask our LOR since the opinions differ of course, but it's not so simple.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics