Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dd has a growth growing in her knee

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:41 pm
I’m really trying hard to be supportive to my 9 year old daughter who was recently diagnosed with Osgoode Schlatter’s disease, a condition where a benign growth grows in the bone. She is in constant pain. She has had an MRI and has been seen by an orthopedist. We were told it will keep growing until she stops growing (around age 13) at which point she may need surgery to treat it. The only thing I have been advised by doctors to treat he pain is to use ice and Tylenol/Advil. These do almost nothing to relieve the pain. It’s really starting to wear me down emotionally because my daughter is in chronic pain and there is nothing I can do. Please help me.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:52 pm
I know absolutely nothing about this except that you should immediately get a 2nd opinion. Surely there has to be something that can be done to keep a child from living in such pain.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:56 pm
I agree. Children's pain has been historically undertreated - you need to be assertive about this and get her appropriate pain relief.

ROFL

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:57 pm
Yes please see another doc. Also I found that ben Gay or icy hot helps with pain temporarily

Kumphort

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 11:48 pm
I don’t have any good advice on managing the pain especially in such a young child.
I would reach out for another opinion not that I think there can be much difference in treatment In my experience ( with my child)
Osgood–Schlatter isn’t a constant pain but irritated from activity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood–Schlatter_disease

Is it possible it’s another type of benign growth?

Look at this article and see if it would make sense for your DD?
https://www.hindawi.com/journa.....6472/

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 12:08 am
Experience with same with my son. He's in excruciating pain and have been to second opinion. They won't give better pain control, even when they've seen that he literally is stuck in bed often because of the pain

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 12:10 am
Your dd has a growth or o.s.? My son had o.s. It is not a growth and extremely painful, usually associated with children who play a lot of sports. There is not much to do for it, some feel Pt can help. Hope your dd grows out of it soon and learns to properly manage her pain. Refuah shelaima!

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 12:51 am
Oy that’s awful! Refuah Shelaima!

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 12:54 am
If you find a very good therapist she can teach your child to handle chronic pain. There have been studies that show certain types of therapy are really effective in dealing with chronic pain.
But I agree that you need another medical opinion as well.

azn722

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 1:07 am
My son has this
It’s common in growing and active kids
Unfortunately only solution is for her to stop growing and pain management
Get your Dd knee braces- simply straps that she’ll wear around her knees when active
Get her to a pediatric orthopedist if you haven’t already
Get Physical therapy min 2x a Week- this really helped my son
Do the exercises with your DD that the PT recommends every morning- don’t leave it up to her to do them.
It’s tough but manageable with consistent PT and stretching/exercises
Finally give her the Tylenol thr minute she complains bc it’s not like the pain will get better by the minute so why wait until she’s in agony

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 4:19 am
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Class.....G49OS

Ask your doctor if something like this would help.

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:18 am
Perhaps cbd oil would help with pain. You'd need to find an alternative practitioner that knows about this stuff though. It is safe for kids - I used it with doctor's guidance for my young kids short term - like with major pain from cavity or pain from broken bone - but don't know if it's ok or effective long term for chronic situation. But I wanted to just mention it because my children were also in situations where nobody wanted to give them anything more than a children's Tylenol or similar and it wasn't cutting it.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:24 am
Please get a second opinion, and then INSIST on a referral to a good pain clinic.

Nobody will prescribe CBD oil to someone under 18 except under clinical trials for epilepsy. If you can get your hands on some, rub it onto the place that hurts, instead of giving it orally.

I use this for fibromyalgia and joint pain. https://www.amazon.com/ZHENG-G.....BDP3G I mix it half and half with CBD tincture, and it works really well for about 4 or 5 hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics