Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How problematic is a "community day school"?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 6:10 pm
As for davening, the 1.5 hours does not include davening. There is 2x/week davening for all kids, and the frum kids are part of that. And the other three days, it's optional for them to come 30 minutes before school starts to daven.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 6:14 pm
I would say that sending there until the age 5-6 is okay.
After that you can reevaluate if the school has changed, or if doesn’t work for your family.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 6:37 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
As someone said there are community schools and community schools

Were I grew up the Boys and girls were in two separate buildings a few miles apart-When they started to build the girls school the plan was to put the boys school on the same property my mother still talks about the fight. The school was a mix of MO and Yeshiva kids, depending on the grade some years there were more MO kids some years there were more yeshiva kids. There might have been some non-frum kids there also, most if not almost all came from frum back rounds. The boys school had a track for the yeshiva kids whose parents wanted them to go to yeshiva high schools. Everyone went there because it was the only school we all got along.

My DH went to a community school the parent body was MO or not frum the boys and girls were together in the same class room. They did teach Chumush, Gemorha, ect.

When I think of a community I think of what I went to My DH thinks of were he went to.

I think it also depends who the school is run by, to that point.

Is it a school run under Orthodox auspices, but with a variety of types of students/families?

OR

Is it a school, say, that is officially part of the Schechter network (Conservative) and has a variety of families, including MO, who send their children there?

The 2 are very different and come with different things.

Obviously, from a frumkeit standpoint--particularly in the second situation, the challenges are less to manage in earlier grades and more to manage as children get older.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 7:35 pm
IMO, it really doesn’t seem like a good idea. It’s very hard to move some place “for three years” and then move again. (I know from experience- we planned to move after 3 years but it was just too hard to do) People do it all the time- but if you could move to a place that would work for the long term, that would be better.
This school really doesn’t sound like the best fit for what you’ve described.

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:22 pm
Being that your child is not near school age at all, I would move and try to build up the community and the school in the next 5 years. Maybe you can get some more orthodox families to move there. Who knows what the school.will be like in 5 years.
5 years is enough time not to feel like you just moved and have to move again. I would say give it a chance and be open to moving if it doesnt work for you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children