Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Must-reads in the Pesach papers?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Bruria

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:22 pm
The mishpacha article on the Chief Rabbi of Iran is very interesting

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:32 pm
seeker wrote:
Who's asking you to pretend to like things? If you don't have anything nice to say, then you can say nothing.

Nobody's trying to shut down discussions. You're welcome to have debates and whatever somewhere else. Right now we're DISCUSSING what we liked.

These publications, styles, and authors are ongoing with new issues every week, so the fact that the Pesach magazines are sold out is not relevant.

What I'm seeing here is:
OP: Please share things you liked.
Reply: Here is something I liked.
Reply: Here is something I liked.
Reply: Here is something I disliked.
Reply: I didn't like anything.
Reply: I find this specific writer to be shallow/uncreative.
Reply: All 10 writers who worked on stories of varying content and complexity, as well as the editors who selected them and improved them, were really stupid.

I fail to see how this type of "discussion" is going to help a publication. I also fail to see how asking for recommendations is "stifling" to people who would prefer to offer critique and can do so on their own.

It’s the same with anything, if someone asks which doctors do you like at a practice, people will give who they don’t like too. which can also hurt feelings, but is helpful information.

theotherone1

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:45 pm
Calligraphy was fantastic as always. I did read the SPOTless story in Hamodia supplement. Very thought provoking.
But my highlight was probably an email that Mishpacha sent with links to 4 of their all time favorite calligraphy stories. I reread them all and can see why they were chosen!

boysrus

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 4:49 pm
I loved SPOTless, a story in the Hamodia story supplement.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 5:16 pm
theotherone1 wrote:
Calligraphy was fantastic as always. I did read the SPOTless story in Hamodia supplement. Very thought provoking.
But my highlight was probably an email that Mishpacha sent with links to 4 of their all time favorite calligraphy stories. I reread them all and can see why they were chosen!

I enjoyed them too.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 5:23 pm
I was hoping Sara Wiederblank would have a short story in the Vistas. I missed it in the Sukkos issue. I love her writing. I hope she'll be back.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 6:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all!
Anything in the Ami worth holding on to?

Two very sad articles that touched my heart- one about a 40 year old with covid and the other having acs come to her for NO reason.

doctorima

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 6:26 pm
I loved the article in Mishpacha about the yeshiva bochur who toured Africa solo on a motorcycle. Most of his destinations are places I haven't been to and would love to visit, so I very much enjoyed reading about his experiences.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 6:51 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
No one is losing money now since all papers were sold out erect yom tov! So now it’s about opinions.
I’m actually looking forward to reading mishpacha due to this thread.

You'd be surprised to know that its not true everywhere.
For some reason the Ami magazine did not get to Miami Beach until this morning. People have been asking at all the stores since before erev Yom tov, but it just arrived.
I was just at the story and they had piles and piles. (Sadly most probably won't get sold.)

rivkam

Post Sat, Apr 03 2021, 3:11 pm
Bruria wrote:
The mishpacha article on the Chief Rabbi of Iran is very interesting

I enjoyed that! I felt bad for the rabbi because you could tell he was being diplomatic with his answers and trying to put a positive spin on things. It cant be easy in Iran but he is doing such important work. What a special person.

I still havent finished the mishpacha. I'll work on it next shabbat. Theres just so much to read!

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 9:51 pm
I enjoyed the mishpacha a lot this yom tov. Especially the calligraphy story supplement.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 3:20 am
I enjoyed the Hamodia story supplement.
Usually they make it more subtle, but this time I felt they really had an agenda, and they made that agenda really obvious. . I didn't mind that, just saying.

The spotless story tried to show how wrong and illogical shidduch photos are.
There was another story that pushed the lace top sheitels agenda, saying that its totally assur.
Both stories were done very well.

The first story really bothered me. About a BT that was basically tricked into marrying a boy that had a very unhealthy, manipulative mother. It made me very sad. In the end, she really made it work. But the premise was that she was easy prey, because as a BT she couldn't pick up on the red flags.

s1

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:32 am
Found most, if not all of the mishpacha enjoyable and informative this yomtov. Some lovely articles about gedolim.

Bruria

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:49 am
rivkam wrote:
I enjoyed that! I felt bad for the rabbi because you could tell he was being diplomatic with his answers and trying to put a positive spin on things. It cant be easy in Iran but he is doing such important work. What a special person.

I still havent finished the mishpacha. I'll work on it next shabbat. Theres just so much to read!

Yes, it must be very difficult for him, but it's amazing work that he is doing. So much to read, yes!

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:45 pm
I'm also overwhelmed with the sheer amount of what to read!

I really liked the Family First (Mishpacha) article about therapy. I felt that it was very well done in describing what to look out for and why it's important to be careful, without being alarmist and scaring people off altogether.

Also in Mishpacha, I found the Covid heroes piece very inspiring. I thought I was all covid-ed out and didn't want to hear it, we've read other things about covid heroes over the past year, but I read it anyway and really enjoyed it.

Story supplements a mixed bag as usual, different things will appeal to different people, but my overall total experience was enjoyable. I felt that even when the characters and situations weren't ones I personally relate to, the themes of the stories were still interesting or relevant. Again, not necessarily every single one, but overall.

Trying to remember if there was anything else that stood out for me. I generally enjoyed most of what I read, just don't remember it all...

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:47 pm
theotherone1 wrote:

Can you please share the link here? I would love that. I always feel a little sad that the stories are here today, gone tomorrow. I don't know if they ever publish collections of them, sometimes I save them for a while because they're really just small books, but I have so much reading material around and new magazines coming out all the time that I just give up.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 2:54 pm
seeker wrote:
Can you please share the link here? I would love that. I always feel a little sad that the stories are here today, gone tomorrow. I don't know if they ever publish collections of them, sometimes I save them for a while because they're really just small books, but I have so much reading material around and new magazines coming out all the time that I just give up.

———————————————————
I don't know how to share the link because it was an email but here's the stories they posted. I'm sure you can search them if you're interested in reading them.

RSVP
The shul was still full every Shabbos, but it wasn't the real deal. "It's like a fruit bowl filled with fake fruit."

Dov Haller | September 27, 2015

Gilded Cage
Of course they knew her name. How dumb could she be? How awkward did this have to be?
Blimie Rabinowitz | April 18, 2016

The Newlywed Game

If only there really was a Dovid. If only I really did have a husband.

Sara Shamansky | March 25, 2012

Stardust
"Your wife asked: Would I give it to my own son? And the answer to that question is yes."

Michal Marcus | March 24, 2015

The Treasure Keeper
"I-I think there's something wrong with us, Hinda. Something wrong with every one of us here in this family. We're like plants someone forgot to water; ugly, dried out, and broken."
Chaya David | September 14, 2012

Game of Chance
"If we were at a restaurant, another dessert would be an additional ten dollars. But at home it's still from the same $4.99 pint."
Esther Kurtz | March 24, 2015

No Need for Knives
Davey's eyes flicker to my right sleeve and I narrow my eyes as he vacillates over my fate. Is there anything left of me, or have I been reduced to a cripple?
Rachael Lavon | September 24, 2018

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:27 pm
Just read Gilded Cage. https://mishpacha.com/gilded-cage/

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:33 pm
https://mishpacha.com/the-newlywed-game/ Newlywed Game

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:38 pm
RSVP https://mishpacha.com/rsvp-2/
(I remember this one, maybe it's in Captive Audience?)
Also I'm pretty sure I read Gilded Cage before...
Looking up the others now.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room