Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach items you save for next year
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:35 pm
Which Pesach items do you save for the following year that stay good?

Has anyone saved closed boxes of crackers and ladyfingers? Closed boxes of cereal? Croutons?

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:42 pm
Cereal
Closed nuts
Oil

Basically anything dry and closed that has an expiration date Past the next year

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:54 pm
No prepared foods like crackers or croutons.
Just sealed potato starch or almond flour. Tea bags and sweeties packets.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:55 pm
Adwe “tums”
Tea bags
Xylitol

silverlining3

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:00 pm
Closed sugar and salt.

Reality

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:02 pm
Almond flour which I store in the freezer.

azn722

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:04 pm
Spices
Vinegars as long as unopened
Unopened boxes of matzah, cocoa powder, potato starch, and matza meal
Yet still way over budget when shopping Banging head Banging head Banging head At wits end At wits end At wits end

perquacky

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:26 pm
Tomato sauce. The expiration date is usually over a year and hasn't passed by the following Pesach.

Eemaof3

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:35 pm
I always save my spices but this year I noticed that many had expired 3-4 YEARS ago! Yup - dumping this year!

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:48 pm
I saved a bunch of things last year that I'm still not using this year (so far) like apple sauce, pineapple juice, spices, a number of canned items, potato starch, almond meal, ketchup.... unfortunately it seems a number of heimish companies can't be bothered with expiration dates so I don't have any idea how long I can hang onto these things. It really annoys me. Every other company in the world has expiration dates on everything.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:18 pm
perquacky wrote:
Tomato sauce. The expiration date is usually over a year and hasn't passed by the following Pesach.

Careful with this. I stored a jar from last year (in a cool, dry place in my basement) and it had grown moldy by this year. A good reminder to do the sniff test on anything you save.

Reality

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:21 pm
Why do people save every day food items? I just use them. The only reason I have saved almond flour is because I never use it during the year.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:25 pm
Reality wrote:
Why do people save every day food items? I just use them. The only reason I have saved almond flour is because I never use it during the year.

Well, every day items may be 3x as much for Pesach. So wouldn't it be nice to keep it for the next year instead of using it during the year? (Assuming you have room to store it and know when it expires).

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:34 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Cereal
Closed nuts
Oil

Basically anything dry and closed that has an expiration date Past the next year

I even keep opened packages of nuts. I store them in the freezer

Reality

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:41 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Well, every day items may be 3x as much for Pesach. So wouldn't it be nice to keep it for the next year instead of using it during the year? (Assuming you have room to store it and know when it expires).

Some are. Like I bought sugar for 3.99 instead of 1.49. Still doesn't seem worth it to save. You are taking a chance that it will go bad and then everything goes in the garbage. If you just use it at least I know it didn't go to waste.

yksraya

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:53 pm
I only save spices and potato starch, and tea bags. I save it on top shelf from a regular cabinet and not where I store pesach stuff. The rest I just use up during the year.

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:59 pm
I don't save items that I can use during the year. The spices will not be as strong next year. I bought extra almond flour, but after Pesach, I can use it to make healthier baked goods.

Be careful with infestation on some items like spices.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 9:00 pm
I just keep spices, double bagged in the freezer. My mother saved everything and it was kind of a pain and the stuff didn't always last. Plus I'm worried about attracting bugs and stuff in our basement. The rest I integrate into our regular stuff or toss if we really won't use. I do "steal" from the pesach spices as I run out of stuff during the year too, and just replace the next year.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 9:28 pm
Nothing, because I always forget we saved them and buy more anyway.
Tbh we don’t use much. If we’d use spices I’d save those. The only things that end up staying left over are sugar and salt and I just add those to my year round stash after pesach.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 9:59 pm
Not worth it to me to save a $3 container of spices taking up ‘real estate’. Sugar? No way. Use it during the year. Not worth the risk of bugs/ants. Spices lose their potency and when you are spending for meat and chicken $$$$ why go cheap on spices and ruin it all?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics