Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Steiner's article in Pesach Binah

lylac

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:44 pm
Was anyone else very disturbed by this article about her not enjoying yomtov because she left the matching clothes at home and had to shop at childrens place? I felt it was in bad taste for binah to publish this, especially with so many people in hard times right now, nevermind her spiritual state of mind for yomtov! Just curious if others were turned off, or maybe I missed something???? Did I understand it wrong??

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:50 pm
Articles like this are why I don't pay for subscriptions for frum magazines. If a friend has old copies to pass on, that's fine. Some of the articles are positively ridiculous, but at least I didn't spend any of my own money on them.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:25 pm
lylac wrote:
Was anyone else very disturbed by this article about her not enjoying yomtov because she left the matching clothes at home and had to shop at childrens place? I felt it was in bad taste for binah to publish this, especially with so many people in hard times right now, nevermind her spiritual state of mind for yomtov! Just curious if others were turned off, or maybe I missed something???? Did I understand it wrong??

Was the punchline that she realized she should be focusing on more inportant things and not sweat the small stuff? That would at least have a redeeming quality...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 1:50 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Was the punchline that she realized she should be focusing on more inportant things and not sweat the small stuff? That would at least have a redeeming quality...

I didn't read that article yet but I find that some of Binah's articles take a more satirical angle. A writer can be saying something tongue in cheek and get backlash from readers who were sure that the article was meant to be taken at face value. (I recall something like this happening to the author of the MemoRandom column...) Readers: Please take everything you read with a grain of salt!

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 2:06 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Articles like this are why I don't pay for subscriptions for frum magazines. If a friend has old copies to pass on, that's fine. Some of the articles are positively ridiculous, but at least I didn't spend any of my own money on them.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 2:10 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

Ouch.

I enjoy reading the Binah... Dont know

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 3:30 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Ouch.

I enjoy reading the Binah... Dont know

Actually, I apologize. There are some excellent writers in the Binah as well. I really like a few of them.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:12 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Actually, I apologize. There are some excellent writers in the Binah as well. I really like a few of them.

I didn't read your comment but yes, there are.

bnm

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:58 am
The article was tone deaf. The way she was going on and on about how mismatched and unstarched her kids are....

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 10:12 pm
I just read that article over the last days and I was so taken aback. I didn’t know that shopping at Children’s Place was some people’s worst nightmare. I found the whole article so tone deaf and in poor taste.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 10:17 pm
I don't think she was trying to be a snob, just sharing her experience. For her this was important and she was very clear about the fact that this is her mishugas. I didn't find she was putting anyone down at all. To her this was a disaster. I find it interesting to try to see life through another person's lens

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 10:23 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I don't think she was trying to be a snob, just sharing her experience. For her this was important and she was very clear about the fact that this is her mishugas. I didn't find she was putting anyone down at all. To her this was a disaster. I find it interesting to try to see life through another person's lens

That’s why it was tone deaf I don’t think she realized how snobbish she was.

For the record, it’s very easy to match your kids at Children’s Place.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:19 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

Yes

mandr

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:23 am
I liked it. It made me laugh because it was so exaggerated.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:28 am
It really made me laugh too. It was funny how someone so obsessed with brand names and starched clothes had to “stoop so low” nebach.
To each their own. I didn’t see anything wrong with the article. It was humorous in my eyes.
Signed- a children’s place shopper lechatchila
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room