Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
1.5 year old hair help

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 9:54 am
My 18 month old has beautiful soft wavy hair on top of her head and in the back... a dead feeling knotty mess. It’s not really past her neck/shoulders yet. I’ve tried conditioner, I brush it out, etc. nothing helps. If feels so different from the rest of her hair and I don’t know what to do about it! Ideas plz!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 10:56 am
Baby hair can be all kinds of weird textures. By the age of 2 it should all fall out, and then her hair should be a lot more normal.

In the meantime, use a detangling spray, and LEAVE IT IN. You may have to comb through it a couple of times a day in order to prevent knots from forming. Pay special attention to her hair first thing in the morning. If she's a back sleeper, that's probably 99% of the problem right there.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 10:57 am
Yes she is a back sleeper but it’s not like that’s going to change.
What do you mean it will fall out? None of her hair is falling out

essgee

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:52 pm
I was recommend to use this leave in conditioner when I asked a similar question on imamother and it really helped...

https://www.johnsonsbaby.com/b.....ioner

shanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:49 pm
Looks great thank you!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes she is a back sleeper but it’s not like that’s going to change.
What do you mean it will fall out? None of her hair is falling out

Everyone's hair falls out, all the time. The hair follicles have several growth stages, where old hairs are shed, and new ones come in to replace them.

Baby/toddler hair is not the same as the hair they are going to have when they are older. Blonde children do not always stay blonde, curly hair does not always stay curly, etc.

DD was born with curly, reddish blonde hair. By the time she was 3 she had long, straight, darker honey blonde hair with highlights. My dad has pictures of him at around age 5, with very curly blonde hair. Now he has straight dark hair (what hair he has left. LOL )

Not only that, hair changes again around menopause. I've always had reddish, stick straight hair. Now my gray hair is growing in curly, and the two mixed textures make my hair look messy. I have to use gel to get everything to look nice. I think when I'm fully gray, I'm going to have wavy or curly hair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics