Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
2 yr old screams every night and refuses to go to sleep
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:41 am
She has a little anxiety but we give her loads of att during the day and patiently tend to her needs before sleep to relax her.
Every night for the past few months is a nightmare getting her to sleep.
We tried melatonin a few times to see if it would help but she woke up 2 hrs later.

Any natural remedies to get her to sleep. She is super active during the day and the sleep deprivation is getting to all of us.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:45 am
Does she have a problem falling asleep? Or staying asleep?

Anxiety shouldn’t cause the latter.

lovingmommy3417

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:49 am
Does she nap in the day? my 2yo went through this and we tried not napping him. He started going to sleep totally fine and staying asleep.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:56 am
You need to follow some sort of sleep training method not introduce supplements.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:08 am
Does she sleep in the car? Drive her around the block and put her in bed after she falls asleep.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:16 am
She’s 2 and half kh and rests during the day at Morah (but doesn’t sleep ) but at home she refuses to rest for a while already. I’m fine with that but at night the minute she hears it’s time To go down for the night she cry’s hysterically. We put her down at 6:30- 7 which is a very reasonable hr for not sleeping during the day. She will sometimes climb out her crib and escape her room Sad. Or scream and scream and then cry herself to sleep after a while. I don’t know what she has against sleep and none of my other kids did it.
She sleeps alone in a very calm relaxed room with no noise disturbing her. We have a routine supper, bath , fruit snack and then brush her teeth and say the Shema. Help !!!!!!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:25 am
Go to to an ENT to check her tonsils and adaniods. We suffered for months with DS not wanted to go to sleep, melatonin not working and having him fall asleep on the steps crying every night.

Ds had enlarged tonsils and adenoids. Sleeping issues were resolved once the adaniods and tonsils were removed.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s 2 and half kh and rests during the day at Morah (but doesn’t sleep ) but at home she refuses to rest for a while already. I’m fine with that but at night the minute she hears it’s time To go down for the night she cry’s hysterically. We put her down at 6:30- 7 which is a very reasonable hr for not sleeping during the day. She will sometimes climb out her crib and escape her room Sad. Or scream and scream and then cry herself to sleep after a while. I don’t know what she has against sleep and none of my other kids did it.
She sleeps alone in a very calm relaxed room with no noise disturbing her. We have a routine supper, bath , fruit snack and then brush her teeth and say the Shema. Help !!!!!!

I have a feeling that it's connected with rest time at the Morah. Do you know what's going on at the playgroup? Maybe resting has a negative association??

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:34 am
My kids hate sleeping alone. Can you move another kid into her room? Does she have what to cuddle while she’s in her crib?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:37 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
My kids hate sleeping alone. Can you move another kid into her room? Does she have what to cuddle while she’s in her crib?

She has a zoo of teddies in her crib lol. We always bring up special books and dolls. But nothing seems to work. She loves resting by Morah bc she is so tired from the late nights. plusIt doesn’t have a negative effect bc she is so kvetch even when she comes home bc she really needs sleep

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:38 am
I have the same thing. My 2 year old is home all day and I know she's having a good day during the day and it still happens and she used to scream for hours at night.
What helped was being very strict at bed time while also offering her a treat in the morning. In the morning I gave a her a peice of chocolate and make a HUGE deal. Saying WOWWW you slept AMAZING!!
she's just turned 2 but has very good language. Now she waits for that. It's been one week of this and going pretty well.
That and praying to Hashem!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:05 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I have a feeling that it's connected with rest time at the Morah. Do you know what's going on at the playgroup? Maybe resting has a negative association??

Kids just had 2 weeks vacation with no going to morah so if OP is posting today(and still having isdue!) my guess is that there's absolutely no connection!!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She has a zoo of teddies in her crib lol. We always bring up special books and dolls. But nothing seems to work. She loves resting by Morah bc she is so tired from the late nights. plusIt doesn’t have a negative effect bc she is so kvetch even when she comes home bc she really needs sleep

What do you do when she screams and cries? If you go to her and cuddle her, it will just reinforce the not sleeping.

You need to tell her she is safe, you love her and it is bedtime and just walk away.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:57 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
What do you do when she screams and cries? If you go to her and cuddle her, it will just reinforce the not sleeping.

You need to tell her she is safe, you love her and it is bedtime and just walk away.

I 2nd this.
Watch the Supernanny ( I think it's called) dealing with kids throwning tantrums and sleep. It works bit you get to be consistent.

jfk92

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:02 am
My 2 year old needs to be wiped out to go to sleep. He just has lots of energy. He can take a reallly long time to fall asleep otherwise. Doesnt scream or tantrum but will sing and talk and play into a new wind lol anyway things that help is moving dinner a little earlier, give a bath, and let him go up and down stairs, jump on our trampoline, climb, and even dance party. Than he will read w me and its lights out. Oh also, diet wise hes very restricted on sugar.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:07 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I 2nd this.
Watch the Supernanny ( I think it's called) dealing with kids throwning tantrums and sleep. It works bit you get to be consistent.

Are you able to tell me what she does if the child keeps screaming? I do what you wrote and I will walk out. Then she can continue to moan and scream for ages. If she wakes up in the middle of the night she used to scream for over 2 hours. With me coming back every sp often to say I love you. And even with ignoring. Nothing worked.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:08 am
jfk92 wrote:
My 2 year old needs to be wiped out to go to sleep. He just has lots of energy. He can take a reallly long time to fall asleep otherwise. Doesnt scream or tantrum but will sing and talk and play into a new wind lol anyway things that help is moving dinner a little earlier, give a bath, and let him go up and down stairs, jump on our trampoline, climb, and even dance party. Than he will read w me and its lights out. Oh also, diet wise hes very restricted on sugar.

This is a completely different kid and situation. My other daughter can also sing in bed for ages if shes not tired. op specifically stated that her kid screams and cries.

jfk92

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:27 am
Yes I know, that's why I was saying the effect isnt the same. But maybe its a similar cause of just having too much energy. And Her child isnt coping w it the same way. Also just wondering- what happens if u put her in 15 min later? My son is out by 730 without a nap day. But only goes in abt 710/715 so its also not too much time being alone before falling asleep

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:11 pm
My toddler, daughter used to wake up screaming until we realized that she had nightmares from the stuffed animals in her room. We got rid of the lot and she calmed down.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:06 am
For some kids with lots of energy 6:30/7 even without a nap is pretty early. Can you try giving bath, calming down house, letting him play quietly and then at 7:30 do bedtime? If my super energetic toddler gets out after shema, snuggles, etc I say door can stay open of you stay in bed but otherwise door closed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics