Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Attn amothers who use nothing on pesach
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:05 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
It is 1000% about the attitude and you will not be starving.
I probably use less things than you and we had a gorgeous yom tov we were so proud of and were so full after meals.
This is what I had in my house
Carp slices
Carp gefilte
Chicken soup made of knob celery, parsnip and optional carrots
Pesach Egg noodles
Apple compote
Flanken made with salt, sugar, onions
Minute steak
Swiss steak
Meat stew with potatoes
Chicken stew with potatoes
Chicken bottoms
Cubes potatoes
Hash browns
Pan fried potato kugel
apple tart
Potato latkes
Fresh orange juice
Fresh grape fruit juice
Fresh lemon juice for lemonade
Cucumber salad

I dont use any spices besides salt and sugar and dont use most vegetables and the only snacks I bought for my kids were lady fingers ans pototo chips and everyone was perfectly ok.

The bolded.

We celebrated Pesach in Ukraine alsmost 30 years ago with much less and lived to tell the tale. We didn't starve either. This is what we had.

Potatoes
Eggs
Beets
Carrots
Walnuts
Carp (maybe also pike)
Half a turkey
Apples
Probably few oranges and lemons, they weren't that cheap or easy to get
I do not remember if we used cabbage
16 oz bottle of walnut oil that someone gifted us
Miraculously, our city got a shipment of grapes about a month before Pesach and my DH made wine for the community.

Ze hu. Other veggies didn't exist there at that time and I do not use onions (hate them).

For the full disclosure, we didn't make our own sedorim and joined one at the Rabbi's house and second one at a local yeshiva. But we were on our own for the rest and even had some bochrim over.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:19 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
My in-laws use:
potatoes
eggs
onions
carrots
knob celery
parsnip
beets
apples
oranges
grapefruits
grape juice
walnuts/filberts/almonds
potato starch
sugar
salt
oil
chicken

My FIL was matir neder for coffee and milk so now MIL uses coffee in her cake recipes. She serves an extensive delicious menu consisting of these products.

But there's no fish, no meat, no vegetables. After being there for two days, we are all constipated beyond.

Where does no meat come from? I would lose my mind. I feel like I’d be ok as long as I could have meat. I don’t really need anything else.
Also how is it that you don’t have to cook that way if it’s your in laws minhag?

imaima

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:37 pm
happy chick wrote:
The list can be longer or shorter. The point is, there is no starch (no, potatoes are not starch). All the fish, meat, eggs, fruits and veggies in the world (whichever way you slice it or dice it) won't keep you full fo more than 30 seconds. And each thing takes 45 min to prepare, bet washing, peeling and washing again.
I'm just glad pesach is only 8 days and this is not a diet we have to stick to all year.

Hmm.. it is a diet that many people stick to all year!

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:51 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Where does no meat come from? I would lose my mind. I feel like I’d be ok as long as I could have meat. I don’t really need anything else.
Also how is it that you don’t have to cook that way if it’s your in laws minhag?

They never eat meat, nothing to do with Pesach.
I cook mostly like my parents who, although still very restricted, do eat a few more food items. The only thing DH insists I do like his parents is no fish, so I got my MIL's falshe fish recipe and we're good.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:00 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
It is 1000% about the attitude and you will not be starving.
I probably use less things than you and we had a gorgeous yom tov we were so proud of and were so full after meals.
This is what I had in my house
Carp slices
Carp gefilte
Chicken soup made of knob celery, parsnip and optional carrots
Pesach Egg noodles
Apple compote
Flanken made with salt, sugar, onions
Minute steak
Swiss steak
Meat stew with potatoes
Chicken stew with potatoes
Chicken bottoms
Cubes potatoes
Hash browns
Pan fried potato kugel
apple tart
Potato latkes
Fresh orange juice
Fresh grape fruit juice
Fresh lemon juice for lemonade
Cucumber salad

I dont use any spices besides salt and sugar and dont use most vegetables and the only snacks I bought for my kids were lady fingers ans pototo chips and everyone was perfectly ok.

You use more things than me from looking at this list and what about every day during chol hamoed breakfast, lunch and supper. Potatoes 5 different ways isn't that exciting and definitely takes away from the simcha.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:17 pm
They never eat meat, nothing to do with Pesach.
I cook mostly like my parents who, although still very restricted, do eat a few more food items. The only thing DH insists I do like his parents is no fish, so I got my MIL's falshe fish recipe and we're good.
Oh ok. I was worried that there was a new brand of Pesach I hadn’t met yet. I mean it’s weird that they don’t like meat but at least they didn’t turn it into their family minhag.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You use more things than me from looking at this list and what about every day during chol hamoed breakfast, lunch and supper. Potatoes 5 different ways isn't that exciting and definitely takes away from the simcha.

Breakfast: eggs
Lunch: chicken and roasted veggies (whatever your family eats)
Supper: meat and potatoes

Seriously, it’s meat and potatoes. So what if it’s five different ways. It’s yummy.
Besides, there’s always matzah.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:11 pm
Oh ok. I was worried that there was a new brand of Pesach I hadn’t met yet. I mean it’s weird that they don’t like meat but at least they didn’t turn it into their family minhag.

They probably have a minhag to never eat meat.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:17 pm
Breakfast: eggs
Lunch: chicken and roasted veggies (whatever your family eats)
Supper: meat and potatoes

Seriously, it’s meat and potatoes. So what if it’s five different ways. It’s yummy.
Besides, there’s always matzah.

BreAkfast:
Diff types of fried eggs with peeled veg. And matzah
Boiled eggs Avacado and matzah with peeled veg salad
Banana egg pancakes and fruit and matzah
Cake...

Lunch was on the go.
Matzah, eggs, ( we allow some milchigs), cookies, cut up fruits, nuts

Supper:
Falsha fish, fried cutlets, burgers, chicken cutlets with sautéed onions and homemade jam, leftover roast etc.
Peeled veg salad, cucumber salad, beet salad, tomato salad,
Letcho, carrot kugelletes,
Doughless knishes, chremsel, potato kugel, mashed potatoes, French fries
Onion flanken soup, blended veg soup, chicken soup, peeled fruit compote.
Sorbet, compote, cut up fruits, cake

Mix and match and there’s always something new

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:25 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
They probably have a minhag to never eat meat.
Oh. Surprised I didn’t know that was a thing.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:35 pm
My in-laws use:
potatoes
eggs
onions
carrots
knob celery
parsnip
beets
apples
oranges
grapefruits
grape juice
walnuts/filberts/almonds
potato starch
sugar
salt
oil
chicken

My FIL was matir neder for coffee and milk so now MIL uses coffee in her cake recipes. She serves an extensive delicious menu consisting of these products.

But there's no fish, no meat, no vegetables. After being there for two days, we are all constipated beyond.

I hope you can eat lots of chazeres to ease the stomach pains.
It's good to keep snacking on raw produce like oranges, grapefruits and apples. Raw shredded carrots make a great fresh salad.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:51 pm
My mom made dinner for me one night chol hamoed.

She made a potato latka batter. Put a spoon or 2 of the batter, a dark cutlet and again a spoon or 2 of the batter, on top of the cutlet. Fried it and served. It was SO good. Along with a potato blintz, deep fried French fries, and cucumber salad. Then compote.

Though matzo and eggs is always an option. Laugh

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Can you post what foods you do eat and we can help you come up with recipes for next year?
For example, if you eat apples then you can make applesauce, apple chips, compote, poached apples in wine, frozen apple juice, etc.
You can freeze the juice of oranges for ice pops or even freeze slices of oranges for a refreshing dessert/treat.

It sounds like you have a more restricted diet similar to those who do not eat flour or sugar every day so if you post your ingredients then we may be able to help you with ideas for them.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:57 pm
The other nights were fried cutlets (dip in egg and potato starch) with potato Kugel. Pepper steak with potato Kugel. Every dinner was with cucumber salad and compote.

My kids don't like mash potatoes. So I made one potato Kugel and sliced it. Warmed up every night as needed. Yes you can see we love potato Kugel.

funkyfrummom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:57 pm
I took the OPs query as sincere...

My absolute favorite Pesach "food" is orangeade (some fresh squeezed orange juice and simple syrup/liquid sugar). I know not everyone uses liquid sugar, but I wait all year for that orangeade and the reason I like it even more than fresh squeezed oj is b/c I don't have an electric juicer and HATE juicing citrus. My kids like "Jump" (aka grapefruit-ade, same recipe, different citrus).

Regarding the 'why apples, not grapes' question (which was already answered and we're the same, peeled apples-yes, grapes-no), I was once a guest at someone's house and they nicely put out a bowl of perfectly peeled green grapes. They were glistening under the lights! I was SOOOOOOO excited to enjoy a few that year (hostess told me the younger set had done all the peeling).

This year I picked up the Heimishe Kitchen Pesach cookbook, even though I didn't have a chance to look at it until chol hamoed. My teenage daughter looked at it and teased me about how a "recipe" might be just 1 or 2 (unprocessed) items (like just beets, roasted, with 3 different ways of chopping, lol). She wanted to know why I would buy such a thing, particularly since we eat the same from year to year. My other Pesach cookbook is the Lubavitch one. I actually find it soothing to read recipes from people who use minimal ingredients as opposed to the fancy Passover cookbooks with zillions of ingredients, spices, and processed items, plus we are nisht gebroks except for last day. I rarely bake cakes/treats mainly b/c I am always running behind the week before, despite good intentions, and while I will use potato starch and checked granular sugar before holiday starts, I don't after we check for chametz.

I actually find that working with limited ingredients and a simplicity mindset helps me feel the "freedom" of the holiday more (especially after all the cleaning!)

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:04 pm
OP, I have a great recipe for ice if you're interested.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:06 pm

They don't eat meat year-round not because of a dislike for meat; they don't eat meat because of kashrus.

tp3

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:29 pm
Chol hamoed is challenging. I make a massive beet soup for snacking and to add to meals.
Breakfast is fried omelettes (onion zucchini peppers peeled) and fruit salad. Soon followed by lunch which is chicken baked with potatoes underneath. Hard boiled eggs, avocado, fruit, and beet soup all supplement meals. We hardly ever end up washing for matzah on chol hamoed even though it's there as a backup.
I wash a ton of romaine for the seder and whatever's left I make salads with. Add avocado, hard boiled egg, salmon, or grilled veggies for a more filling meal.
Dinner is hamburgers and homemade oven fries (schmaltz, not oil).
Or a giant pot of chicken legs stewed with onion, eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes. It only needs a bit of salt. With mashed potatoes blended smooth with an immersion blender, fried onions in schmaltz added for flavor. Or sweet potato rounds baked with some schmaltz, salt, and sugar water.
Another night, meatballs with latkes and applesauce.
I prepare a potato kugel for every erev shabbos/yomtov for snacking because the night meal is late and the kids can't wait so many hours.
Frozen bananas helps too as a snack or a treat.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:31 pm

A lot of yekkes who kept to old minhagim eat no chicken or turkey on pesach. But we do eat lots of meat

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:32 pm
tp3 wrote:
Chol hamoed is challenging. I make a massive beet soup for snacking and to add to meals.
Breakfast is fried omelettes (onion zucchini peppers peeled) and fruit salad. Soon followed by lunch which is chicken baked with potatoes underneath. Hard boiled eggs, avocado, fruit, and beet soup all supplement meals. We hardly ever end up washing for matzah on chol hamoed even though it's there as a backup.
I wash a ton of romaine for the seder and whatever's left I make salads with. Add avocado, hard boiled egg, salmon, or grilled veggies for a more filling meal.
Dinner is hamburgers and homemade oven fries (schmaltz, not oil).
Or a giant pot of chicken legs stewed with onion, eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes. It only needs a bit of salt. With mashed potatoes blended smooth with an immersion blender, fried onions in schmaltz added for flavor. Or sweet potato rounds baked with some schmaltz, salt, and sugar water.
Another night, meatballs with latkes and applesauce.
I prepare a potato kugel for every erev shabbos/yomtov for snacking because the night meal is late and the kids can't wait so many hours.
Frozen bananas helps too as a snack or a treat.

Wondering why you don’t eat matza chol hamoed?
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics