Home

Weird question...NEW UPDATE
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


octopus




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:36 pm
The allergist is not going to test now, while allergy meds are circulating in the system. It will skew results. Allergies are really rough. I hope you get some answers. I would hope it's not the oatmeal, and just different preservative in the almond milk that is the problem.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:50 pm
octopus wrote:
The allergist is not going to test now, while allergy meds are circulating in the system. It will skew results. Allergies are really rough. I hope you get some answers. I would hope it's not the oatmeal, and just different preservative in the almond milk that is the problem.


Yep. OP, if the one thing that is new, is a new brand of almond milk, why would you automatically assume that it's a sudden allergy to oatmeal? The new brand is the obvious first suspect.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:56 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

Just thinking outside the box. Any chance you used a new cleaning product? Or could baby have been wearing new clothes (that were not prewashed?)

Last year I wore some new clothes from Costco. I didn’t prewash them (like I should have). After wearing them all day I broke out in a rash all over my body and my face/lips started to swell up. I ended up going to the ER for treatment. The ER doctor and I figured I most likely had some sort allergic reaction to a chemical on the clothes. After I washed the clothes, I never had an allergic reaction to clothes again.


No new clothes or new detergent. I use free and clear for all of our laundry.

His pediatrician called to follow up in ER visit. She thinks its highly unlikely to be the oatmeal. She thinks maybe the almond milk. The Liebers Almond milk says "may contain traces of other nuts and soy"

It could be, though I think its a safek of a safek, since he isn't officially allergic to any nuts other than peanuts, and I would think there's no chashash of peanuts in a klp food.
(An earlier test had him being allergic to several nuts, but not the latest test...)

Its like a (very not fun) guessing game.

Meanwhile he is doing well today, so BH for that.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Yep. OP, if the one thing that is new, is a new brand of almond milk, why would you automatically assume that it's a sudden allergy to oatmeal? The new brand is the obvious first suspect.


Honestly, it didn't occur to me until one of the posters here asked.

He always has almond milk with his oatmeal. I just forgot that he had the klp kind yesterday.

When he vomited, it was mostly oatmeal, and even when he sneezed, there was oatmeal coming out of his nose. That's what made me think of oatmeal.

I know he is good with almonds- he has been eating almond yogurt all Pesach. Just the oatmeal was not eaten for the week of Pesach so that's what I thought of. But you're right, its highly unlikely to be the culprit. Hence, the title of this thread.
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 11:35 pm
That’s what imamother is here for.
We love problem solving.
I hope it’s just a little something.
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:25 am
The only thing my dgtr was allergic to as a baby was oatmeal, I gave her different baby cereal
Back to top

oodlesofnoodles




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:10 am
Hi OP- I hope your son has a refua shelaima and you figure all this out!

Re: the "may contain" statement- although you may think that KLP products have no chance of containing peanuts or other kitniyos, there is a VERY high chance of that not being true. My son has a full spectrum of allergies- some anaphylactic, some cause more minor reactions. In general, we don't give him any foods that have a "may contain" labeling of any foods he's allergic to. On Pesach, he's had reactions to foods that we later discovered had corn in the ingredients (citric acid.)
In addition, many companies use shared manufacturing lines- hence the may contain or shared equipment warnings on labels. We stay far away from any of those products as they've historically caused reactions for my and many other kids.

Please feel free to pm me anytime!
Back to top

amother




Orange
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:46 pm
My DC got reaction to a specific food only during hay fever season. Wonder if this sheds any light for you.
Either way, wishing you lots of luck.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:56 pm
Ok, we just left the allergist, so here's an update.

The doctor was very perturbed by the whole story.

He said the thing with the lip was not the issue. The issue was the excessive drooling- that's a sign that he was having trouble swallowing. And that is a much worse allergic reaction than a swollen lip/face (which is what he had after the bamba at 6 months old). That really surprised me.

(He said I waited too long in giving the EpiPen, and that at this point I am more qualified than the doctor at the Urgent care in assessing when to give the EpiPen.)

Regarding the Lieber's almond milk: I brought it along to show him, and he said we need to test the milk. Baby had previously tested negative for certain classes of nuts, but if he reacts to this now, we know we need to figure out which nuts he is allergic to.

They did a control test on him, but he did not react, so doctor said we need to come back in two weeks to test the milk.

Regarding the oatmeal: at first he dismissed the idea. Then he said something about thinking out of the box and watching out for vomiting. I didn't quite follow, so I asked him to explain, and he said that I should continue feeding him the same oatmeal, and if I notice any vomiting, to let him know. Basically he did not think it was likely at all.

He also told me not to try any new foods, or even any new brands in the next two weeks. He is a very thorough doctor and bezH, I feel confident that he will get to the bottom of this.

Ps. Just as I'm pulling up at home, I get a call from the doctor at the urgent care to see how the baby is doing. She said she hasn't slept well the last two nights because she was worried about him. It was really nice to hear from her.

Thanks again to all the concerned Imas and for the poster who thought of the almond milk...I totally missed that on my own. (Thank you amother RUBY!)
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:58 pm
He also said that an environmental allergy would not have caused such a reaction.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 1:07 pm
Thanks for the update! It sounds like you have amazing doctors, B'H.

Please let us know how the follow up tests go.
Back to top

SashaT




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 1:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much.
This is my first kid with allergies. As much as I have spoken to doctors, its helpful to know that there are all these experienced moms out there.

Just to clarify about the blown up lip...
What actually happened was first that he vomited - a lot. He was gulping and gulping until emptied his whole body out. He was in the car, so we thought it was nausea. Came home and put him in the bath. He was rubbing his eyes a lot and his face was red. While in the bath I noticed he couldn't close his mouth. He was sneezing and crying and drool was coming out of his mouth. He had a bit of hypopigmentation on his lower lip and it was jutting out. At that point, I gave him a bit of benadryl. Dr said take him to urgent care and the Dr there was concerned with his lip/jaw. She thought his tongue was also swollen.

She asked me to nurse him, and he tried, but his mouth wouldn't close. It was so odd.
Also, he was sneezing a lot and tons of mucus came out (and he had no prior conjestion).

After she gave him the injection, about 20 minutes later, his mouth suddenly went back to normal, no drooling or conjestion.

Does any of this make sense to anyone?

I have a three year old son with multiple food allergies. What you’re describing is anaphylaxis. Please look into the FARE allergy plan - the rule is epi for two minor symptoms or one major one. The vomiting would be a major symptom all by itself. The epipen seems scary, but it can resolve things when given early enough. I don’t want to scare you, but, unfortunately, kids have died when Epipens aren’t administered on time. Benadryl can mask anaphylaxis. Also, if a child is having an allergic reaction, don’t place them in a hot bath - it can accelerate the reaction.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 1:23 pm
SashaT wrote:
I have a three year old son with multiple food allergies. What you’re describing is anaphylaxis. Please look into the FARE allergy plan - the rule is epi for two minor symptoms or one major one. The vomiting would be a major symptom all by itself. The epipen seems scary, but it can resolve things when given early enough. I don’t want to scare you, but, unfortunately, kids have died when Epipens aren’t administered on time. Benadryl can mask anaphylaxis. Also, if a child is having an allergic reaction, don’t place them in a hot bath - it can accelerate the reaction.


Thank you!

Tbh, I feel kind of stupid and guilty for hesitating to give the EpiPen, but its a fear I need to get over. I have been told over and over that it can't hurt and that a delay can be less effective.

I did not know that thing about the bath! I put him in the bath because he felt gross from the vomit.

The doctor did give me a chart about when to use the EpiPen. I should hang it on the wall next to where I keep the EpiPen.

Prior to coming to the allergist, my baby used to vomit a lot after eating so I kind of just take it in stride. (Some of my other kids used to vomit a lot as babies, though none had allergies. I guess I just don't think of vomiting to be a big deal.)

But now I'm seeing that vomiting is not so normal. The last two times he vomited were after nursing (after I had eaten some peanut chews), and after getting into some spilled milk and licking it. Both times those reactions were very swift, tons and tons of vomiting. And in the case of the milk, he also broke out in hives..

This time, IF this is a reaction to the almond milk, it is coming a few hours later.
The other possibility is that he ate something that he found, and we will never know what it was.
Back to top

amother




Mustard
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 1:36 pm
As the mother of several severely allergic children, one of whom was in a coma due to anaphylaxis, my advice to you is to please follow YOUR allergists plan of action. There are different views, whether Benadryl masks the symptoms, whether to administer Epi-pen immediately or wait to see if the Benadryl kicks in etc. Please follow your own doctor's advice.
Btw. Who is your allergist? Sounds like he's good.
Hatzlocha.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 2:02 pm
I just called Lieber's to ask if "MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF OTHER NUTS AND SOY" could possibly include peanuts. They said YES.

(Despite the fact that both peanuts and soy are kitnios.)

I'm surprised mainly because usually with these warnings it doesn't include peanuts in the same category as "other nuts" because it is not a tree nut. What

They said to write an email to get more info from the manufacturer, which I did.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 2:23 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
As the mother of several severely allergic children, one of whom was in a coma due to anaphylaxis, my advice to you is to please follow YOUR allergists plan of action. There are different views, whether Benadryl masks the symptoms, whether to administer Epi-pen immediately or wait to see if the Benadryl kicks in etc. Please follow your own doctor's advice.
Btw. Who is your allergist? Sounds like he's good.
Hatzlocha.


Sorry to hear about your child who was in a coma! That is so scary!! What was it from? Was he ok afterwards?

Thanks for the advice. You are right. I see that different allergists have different beliefs and protocols.

My allergist is very thorough, BH. Also very helpful in treating the eczema.

His name is Dr Jonathan Malka
Back to top

causemommysaid




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:42 pm
It really sounds like there were trace peanuts in the almond milk. His first reaction was less severe after the bamba and the nursing from peanut chews and this time was more severe. Maybe it took a while since it was trace amounts and took time to hit his system.
Back to top

greenteaorange




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:51 pm
With package warnings it usually says
“May contain traces of tree nuts” (no peanut issue here).
Or “May contain traces of peanuts”
The fact that package says “ May contain traces of other nuts” it’s very general would try to avoid products like that in future.
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:08 pm
Our allergist has told us that an allergic reaction is most likely to be immediate but can occur up to 6 hours later. It did happen to my daughter once that she reacted more than 3 hours after ingestion of an allergen.
Back to top

SashaT




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you!

Tbh, I feel kind of stupid and guilty for hesitating to give the EpiPen, but its a fear I need to get over. I have been told over and over that it can't hurt and that a delay can be less effective.

I did not know that thing about the bath! I put him in the bath because he felt gross from the vomit.

The doctor did give me a chart about when to use the EpiPen. I should hang it on the wall next to where I keep the EpiPen.

Prior to coming to the allergist, my baby used to vomit a lot after eating so I kind of just take it in stride. (Some of my other kids used to vomit a lot as babies, though none had allergies. I guess I just don't think of vomiting to be a big deal.)

But now I'm seeing that vomiting is not so normal. The last two times he vomited were after nursing (after I had eaten some peanut chews), and after getting into some spilled milk and licking it. Both times those reactions were very swift, tons and tons of vomiting. And in the case of the milk, he also broke out in hives..

This time, IF this is a reaction to the almond milk, it is coming a few hours later.
The other possibility is that he ate something that he found, and we will never know what it was.


Don’t feel guilty - it’s a steep learning curve! I learned so many things from other mothers and by joining allergy groups. Having the plan on the fridge is a good idea. My son had a few delayed reactions as a baby as well. Vomiting was a pretty standard reaction for him, actually.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies

Related Topics Replies Last Post
[UPDATE IN OP] concerning new book
by Kiwi13
152 Thu, May 06 2021, 5:32 pm View last post
Chesed Fund for FranticFrummie - Update page 12 :) 229 Wed, May 05 2021, 10:03 am View last post
by mfb
REAL Mexican recipes. Here we go! UPDATE 53 Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:10 am View last post
My mom( update ) 38 Fri, Apr 23 2021, 4:46 pm View last post
5lbs of mozzarella — Update: also labne 23 Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:32 pm View last post