Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Forks Over Knives Diet

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:26 am
Has anyone tried this plant based diet? Does it work?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:09 am
Even my rabid vegan prof thinks this documentary is garbage. Very little valid scientific backup. You want to be vegan? Research it properly and find out if it seems like it’s going to work for you.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:14 am
Here’s a basic response. It may work for you and it May not. I have a vegan keto friend who eats all real food all the time, just as I do as a meat eater.

Literally every diet except carnivore is actually mostly plant based.

If you have blood sugar or insulin resistance, it might not be so good for you to eat grains and fruit and starch.

Some people do very well as vegans. In most people, concerns for protein are un-necessary. Pretty much only athletes need supplements and even then, most of the time they’re actually getting enough protein.

There are arguments on both sides about ethics.

Whatever you do, eat real food, as in ingredients, not processed food and make them yourself. Eating garbage is not healthy whether it says ‘vegan’ or ‘keto’ or ‘low fat’.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:37 am
My parents went on this diet as well as their single kids. Everyone lost a significant amount of weight without calorie counting ( and they ate what was considered a healthy diet before ) . Even those who didn't have a lot to lose or who were in the healthy weight range .
For my parents it has reversed significant health issues like insulin resistance and high blood pressure. ( even before the lost a significant amount of weight )
Obviously you need to actually be filling up on Whole Foods that are plant based and not processed , not just things that are labeled vegan .
My parents are very educated people and have researched the science behind this extensively. If your interested in learning more let me know and maybe I can pm you ...

agreer

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:08 am
I tried it recently.

I LOVE meat, chicken and fish, so it was very hard to stick to. I didn't lose weight because I couldn't not cheat.

But I did learn to love lentils, beans, and butternut squash. I plan on incorporating those into a basic calorie counting diet.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:40 pm
I lost a significant amount of weight on low carb/low fat/vegan mostly raw diet.
I did this with a MEDICAL DOCTOR, MD, graduated from Harvard
Occasionally I had egg whites
I was miserable
Every morning I felt as if I got ran over by a truck, and the fatigue and aches were ALL DAY LONG.

The funny thing was that I only lost weight over Shabbos when I had a shtickle chicken 2x- then I lost 3 lbs consistently, but nothing during the week.

I gained all my weight back, because for me it was not sustainable

Now I do keto- carnivore, Im losing EXTREMELY slowly, 15lbs in9 months, but I feel like a human being.
I eat yummy REAL food.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:56 pm
Thanks for the replies! I tried low carb before and it didn't work out for me because I'm not very fond of meats in general.
I'm going to try this vegan diet with whole foods and will see where it takes me! Trying it out for a month and seeing how I feel.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 17 2021, 11:22 pm
Update: I lost 8lbs so far! I am not calorie counting, use very little to almost no oil, almost no sugar. I eat when I want to eat, focusing on whole foods.

boogiebabe

Post Sat, Apr 17 2021, 11:28 pm
OP, 8 lbs in 2 weeks? That is super. How do you find shabbos?
Do you need to prep non vegan food for family?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 12:54 am
boogiebabe wrote:
OP, 8 lbs in 2 weeks? That is super. How do you find shabbos?
Do you need to prep non vegan food for family?
Shabbos was fine, I ate challah and vegetarian cholent, for dessert sorbet ( used some sugar for that), but overall this seems a pretty easy way to lose weight. I made salmon for the family, that was the only non vegan food. I do miss cheese and pizza though, but losing 8lbs made up for it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise