Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teenage pimples. Is there any cream that actually works?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:30 pm
Or the pimples are here to stay until they pass this stage? Really don’t want to bother with stuff that brings no results. Anything tried and true out there? TIA

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:52 pm
Benzoyl peroxide worked for me (over the counter)
You can see a dermatologist for prescription creams

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:02 pm
Curology works great for me, you can get a custom prescription without a going to a dermatologist.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:45 pm
Thanks

rae

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:51 pm
Differen is usually the first course dermatologists will prescribe. It’s now available over the counter. You could start with the face wash and gel. Just make sure to use a dime size amount for face wash and pea size amount of gel.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:51 pm
Best is to see a dermatologist what works for one doesn't always work for others.

I also thought not to bother but was very surprised when the Creams plus the wash that my dermatologist recommended worked.

A year later it stopped working so we went back and she changed the cream.
So worth it to see a good dermatologist.

I'd recommend mine but I live oot

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 8:32 pm
Spent thousands on high quality Jan Marini creams and they work but if you really want to knock it out isotretinoin/accutane is the way to go.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 9:06 pm
Wash face once, maybe twice, a day, with Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash. Use a lot each time.

It's a gentle basic medicated wash (salicylic acid) but with consistent use I found it extremely helpful. My teen son now uses it and finds it very helpful.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 9:32 pm
I don't recommend using anything that has salicylic acid. Once read that it brings more pimples to the face and I tried it and it's true.
Best thing is to use any face wash with tiny beads to exfoliate and a good moisturizer. Plenty good and safe products in the pharmacy in the face cream aisle.
Best way to take care of teenage pimples (or any face at any age) is to wash your face with a simple face wash and use a simple moisturizer. All these fancy expensive brand name products out there usually don't help.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:06 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I don't recommend using anything that has salicylic acid. Once read that it brings more pimples to the face and I tried it and it's true.
Best thing is to use any face wash with tiny beads to exfoliate and a good moisturizer. Plenty good and safe products in the pharmacy in the face cream aisle.
Best way to take care of teenage pimples (or any face at any age) is to wash your face with a simple face wash and use a simple moisturizer. All these fancy expensive brand name products out there usually don't help.

Salicylic acid works for me. So that's your experience and this is mine. Salicylic acid is a chemical exfoliant.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:16 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:

Salicylic acid is a chemical exfoliant that breaks up the dirt bonds and washes them out of the pores. It does not make you break out more. Did you use a good moisturizer and sunscreen after? Any serums or other supplemental products?
Physical exfoliants are harsh and have actually been studied and shown to cause further breakouts. Cool that you had the exact opposite experience!
You are 100000% right that you need to keep your skincare routine as simple as possible.
Find a salicylic acid based cleanser (or any AHA really). Use in the morning and before bed, unless your teen’s skin is super sensitive, then only apply 1x a day. Apply benzoyl peroxide (1x daily) on stubborn spots. It’s very similar to salicylic acid, so it can be irritating if you don’t wash it off after 10 min. It might not be irritating, though, so try it to see what happens. And of course use a moisturizer and sunscreen. Dry skin can cause your sebaceous glands to produce more oil, which can get trapped with dirt in your pores and lead to breakouts. And UV rays can also cause irritation and lead to acne.
And don’t make a big deal about it because a lot of it is hormonal and it will take time.
If you need further help, you can get tretinoin or clindamycin prescribed.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:40 pm
dd and I both started using proactive. It seems to be doing the trick for mild to moderate acne. I have also found if I feel a big pimple starting at night I will take an aspirin (not tylemol or motrin- aspiring) let it sit in a drop of water and let it dissolve to a paste. Put it on the pimple, by the next morning its not as big or red.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 11:59 pm
Proactive vs. curology
I heard from my friends they are both great options
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children