Home

Whooping cough vaccine for family
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Frumme




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:21 pm
What's funny is that my insurance didn't cover a tDap booster while I was pregnant with my first. It was covered right after I gave birth and the hospital administered the shot in the maternity ward, though. Can't Believe It

And yes people can be carriers and not realize it. Think typhoid mary
Back to top

amother




Puce
 

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 11:29 pm
They give it during pregnancy so you can pass the antibodies to your baby. Not to prevent the mother from getting it.
Back to top

amother




Blue
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:29 am
tweety1 wrote:
It's really absurd if you ask me. Totally unnecessary.


Do you understand the science? It’s to pass antibodies from mother to baby to protect the baby during the most vulnerable newborn ages.
Back to top

amother




Jade
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:48 am
tweety1 wrote:
It's really absurd if you ask me. Totally unnecessary.

My three week old had whooping cough. It's a nightmare.
Back to top

amother




Lemon
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 2:07 am
Yes, I asked everyone who wanted close contact with my baby before 2 months to have a TDaP within the last 5 years. This included both family members and friends. Thankfully I am part of a community where this was no big deal. Many people had had a booster recently anyway and a few got one while I was pregnant in preparation. I also got TDaP while pregnant so the baby hopefully had some immunity but newborns are still so little and vulnerable.
Back to top

moomles




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 3:02 am
So important for mothers to have the vaccine. My son had whooping cough as a 6 week old baby 15 years ago. I still remember not sleeping for weeks, constantly terrified he had stopped breathing after a coughing attack in the night.
Back to top

moomles




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 3:06 am
Apparently many people do not keep their immunity so there is lots of whooping cough circulating. Having the vaccine gives your baby immunity before it is born. Newborn babies are particularly vulnerable to whooping cough.
Back to top

chmom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:36 am
There are 2 things being mixed together here
1 pregnant women should get the pertussis vaccine in every pregnancy because immediately after the vaccination there is a boost in antibody production which are then transferred to the baby and gives it a good protection until it can be vaccinated itself at 6 weeks
2 anyone who has regular contact with the newborn needs to be up to date with their pertussis vaccine in order not to transfer it to the baby. Adults can have pertussis without the typical symptoms

And for those saying that this is a newfangled invention, there are new studies and new knowledge being acquired all the time in medicine which are then incorporated into patient care. Would you like to be treated as per the 1950 standards?
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:47 am
I get all of my titers checked every 5 years.

If I'm going to be babysitting other people's children, I feel really good going in and being able to show them that all my vaccines are up to date, and that I take their family's health very seriously.

I also make sure I am certified in first aid and CPR every year.

I don't think that's crazy, I think it's part of being a responsible citizen.


ETA: If you don't want or need the full DTAP, you can ask your doctor to order single vaccines from a compounding pharmacy. You'll pay extra, but if you're worried about it, it's worth it.

I did all of DD's vaccines as singles, after she had a bad reaction to the DTAP. One shot per visit, and delayed spacing. It doesn't have to be "all or nothing."
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
My three week old had whooping cough. It's a nightmare.

You hadn't had the vaccine in the last 10 yrs?
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:44 am
moomles wrote:
So important for mothers to have the vaccine. My son had whooping cough as a 6 week old baby 15 years ago. I still remember not sleeping for weeks, constantly terrified he had stopped breathing after a coughing attack in the night.

Of course it's important. I take the vaccine. I'm just saying that to take it at every pregnancy when you yourself are up to date isn't necessary.
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 3:40 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
They give it during pregnancy so you can pass the antibodies to your baby. Not to prevent the mother from getting it.

This! just spoke to my dr about it. It's exclusively to protect your baby.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:31 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I get all of my titers checked every 5 years.

If I'm going to be babysitting other people's children, I feel really good going in and being able to show them that all my vaccines are up to date, and that I take their family's health very seriously.

I also make sure I am certified in first aid and CPR every year.

I don't think that's crazy, I think it's part of being a responsible citizen.


ETA: If you don't want or need the full DTAP, you can ask your doctor to order single vaccines from a compounding pharmacy. You'll pay extra, but if you're worried about it, it's worth it.

I did all of DD's vaccines as singles, after she had a bad reaction to the DTAP. One shot per visit, and delayed spacing. It doesn't have to be "all or nothing."


unfortunately in my babys practice its all or nothing. doctor told me he would kick me out if I didnt do them all at once
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
unfortunately in my babys practice its all or nothing. doctor told me he would kick me out if I didnt do them all at once


I just got kicked out of a practice for wanting to space shots. And I found a new pediatrician. It’s worth it to find someone who won’t force you to do things you’re uncomfortable with.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:41 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I just got kicked out of a practice for wanting to space shots. And I found a new pediatrician. It’s worth it to find someone who won’t force you to do things you’re uncomfortable with.


wow rly? are u in NY? I havent foud any doctor that will allow me to space it out
(im in the 5ts)
Back to top

amother




Lavender
 

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
wow rly? are u in NY? I havent foud any doctor that will allow me to space it out
(im in the 5ts)

There's one Dr in BP pediatrics that lets me space shots. I dunno if others won't. I have a great relationship with one Dr. Only try to go to him even for sick visits. I started when my baby was over a yr. He told me see you in a month. I told him your month means my 4 months. We had a great laugh and that was that. We had a very open and honest discussion abt shots.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Vaccine Audit of medical practice?
by amother
18 Today at 6:56 pm View last post
Rabbanim on covid vaccine?
by amother
25 Today at 4:49 pm View last post
Vaccine help for newborn
by amother
94 Today at 3:14 pm View last post
For those who think the vaccine isn't safe
by amother
105 Today at 3:07 pm View last post
Hep B vaccine
by amother
11 Today at 7:36 am View last post