Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Planting your own strawberries

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:28 pm
Has anyone tried this and has any info. On how to do it. My dd would love to try to do this as a project im just not sure whats involved and how to care for it.
Any info would be appreciated.

GLUE

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:38 pm
Many years ago I tried to plant strawberries, I brought strawberries bags and plants from a catalog. The problem was I did not read the directions until after they died.

If your DD want's to plant them have her first read up or watch videos on how they grow if you get them from a catalog make sure to read the directions before she plants them.

Happy planting

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:12 am
GLUE wrote:
Many years ago I tried to plant strawberries, I brought strawberries bags and plants from a catalog. The problem was I did not read the directions until after they died.

If your DD want's to plant them have her first read up or watch videos on how they grow if you get them from a catalog make sure to read the directions before she plants them.

Happy planting

So shes still pretty young. I was in home depot when I came across the starter kit... but there wasnt much instructions on there. So I didn't buy it just yet cuz I want to know how to care for it before I purchase.
Can I just buy that and plant it in a pot. And just make sure it gets watered every so often. Or does it need special care?

simcha2

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:22 am
We've done it from seedlings a couple of times.

Pretty easy. Plenty of sun, remember to water, hope the birds don't eat them.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:47 am
Get everbearing instead of just June-bearing.

Ime some years strawberries grew and some years not.

There’s a lot of spread from year to year of the plan so plant where you have a lot of room. (Unless you don’t want the spread)

Teomima

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:52 am
I find strawberries grow very easily. They're pretty tenacious, too. More than once I've had a plant "die" on me just for it to magically regrow a few months later. They have an amazing root structure. They spread, too, so even if you only start with one or two plants, you'll really end up with a whole garden full (I grow them in a box so they're more limited).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:32 am
Thanks for all the responses.
So I was thinking of planting it in a flower pot. Is that ok? Dont want them all over my backyard.

Also so from the other posters I understand it just needs to be watered and sun. Sounds pretty simple. Also whens a good time to start-should I already do it now or wait closer to the summer?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening