Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is this a bad MM idea for erev Shabbos?

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 7:47 pm
Last year for mishloach manos we made deli sandwiches, with a bag of chips, a can of beer and a little thing of mustard. it was cheap and easy and ppl loved it (esp the husbands, lol). I don't think we should do it this year cuz its erev shabbos. husband thinks its a great idea and who cares if its erev shabbos?! problem is, my brain is so fried I can't think of any other ideas so if we don't do this we'll end up doing a mix of cheap, bad nosh thrown into a bag, which will just be pathetic cuz it won't even be the good nosh. so what do you think? deli sandwiches on an erev shabbos (meaning also, early seuda) or s/t pathetic? unless you have other ideas for me.
please respond as we need to decide motz'sh what we're doing.
tia

Purplehair

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 7:56 pm
I think the MM idea is adorable. So what if it was "done" last year- GO FOR IT!
For Friday Purim Seuda I usually buy cold cuts, keiser rolls, condiments, and salads. This way, you still have a nice seudah, don't overly fill-up on nosh, and still go into Shabbat happy.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 7:59 pm
I'm not so concerned that I did it last year, I'm more concerned that between the seuda and shabbos, ppl won't want or have time for another 'mini meal'. I mean it isn't a light snack or salad!

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 8:06 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
Last year for mishloach manos we made deli sandwiches, with a bag of chips, a can of beer and a little thing of mustard. it was cheap and easy and ppl loved it (esp the husbands, lol). I don't think we should do it this year cuz its erev shabbos. husband thinks its a great idea and who cares if its erev shabbos?! problem is, my brain is so fried I can't think of any other ideas so if we don't do this we'll end up doing a mix of cheap, bad nosh thrown into a bag, which will just be pathetic cuz it won't even be the good nosh. so what do you think? deli sandwiches on an erev shabbos (meaning also, early seuda) or s/t pathetic? unless you have other ideas for me.
please respond as we need to decide motz'sh what we're doing.
tia

My neighbor does this every year, no matter what, but instead of putting the deli in the roll she gives the deli separately so I can throw it in the refrigerator and use it when I want.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 8:26 pm
last year I saran wrapped e/t seperately and then put it together. so the roll was open with deli and tom and pickle in it but it was each sep wrapped so it stayed fresh.
point of interest, cassandra, how much deli did your friend put in each one?

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 8:33 pm
She gave a whole pack of salami or some inexpensive kind of deli...

I think if you wrap everything separately you can do it. If people don't want to eat it then they can eat it another time. Also, if you give it in the morning it can still be theoretically used for the seuda.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 8:52 pm
you can make a couple of dips, buy or make small challah rolls, put in a small grape juice, and chickpeas...

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 9:03 pm
mamabear, nice idea but I know for a fact of a few ppl already doing s/t similar.

Purplehair

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 10:02 pm
I did that a couple of Erev Shabbos Purims ago. I included the GJ, Challah Bilkelach, tuna fish (someone else I know included canned gefilte), and two candles. I don't remember what else, if anything, was included. Oh, and a "Shabbos/Purim" poem to go with it.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 10:29 pm
am I horrible for just sending cards this year? At least 40 of them. The money supports the local school.

To a couple of very close neighbors we'll give the bare minimum---- whatever we happen to have in our cabinet-- I know we have some cans of tuna, some bags of nosh, whatever. I don't plan to theme the few we're doing or do anything special.

I'll write a poem in the cards about how this year we just don't have time to trek all over the neighborhood because my husband has to work and I'm home alone with 2 fourteen month olds. I have to get to megillah reading, so I already need a sitter in the morning..... we've got to get to the seudah, and somehow prep for Shabbos.... honestly, I think everyone overdoes it with the MM. Why do I need 40 bags of food on my table a month before Pesach?

But to make up for being a party pooper this year, I'll IYH do a fun theme next year. Smile

Akeres Habayis

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 6:28 am
pinkandyellow I think its a great idea,the dh's will eat it,whether there is a seuda or not!beer chips,sandwich,sounds delish to me!!!

Tamiri

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 6:39 am
I would love that but we are having dairy for the seuda....
It's a great idea. And you are so smart to wrap everything separate. Don't worry so much, just give it. I can't imagine people will throw it out, I don't think I would (but we would prob not eat it on Purim itself).

Why not do the same thing with a parve filling? Then people can eat it whenever. Make a tuna "mousse", whipped up in the processor.

louche

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 9:37 am
It's a great idea, and as you say appeals to the menfolks. My menfolks would be thrilled b/c I rarely (read never) buy deli, and it would be a treat for them. I would be thrilled b/c it's real food (sort of!) and not more sugar-laden grbage. Go for it!

zigi

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 10:28 am
dh would love the beer and you could eat it on shabbos during the day.

louche

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 11:32 am
dh would love the beer but I'd confiscate it to cook the chicken for shabbos! Chicken in beer is delish even if you hate beer.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 11:55 am
it sounds vry nice, but most probably it won't get eaten (that day), unless some wants to eat that instead of the seudas purim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics