Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Ruth’s Oatmeal Crisps (Pareve)

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:00 pm
A very retro and traditional oatmeal raisin cookie - very good. Solid white margarine was invented as an alternative to lard which also made it very popular among balabustas who immigrated to the US prior to WW II. Yes it's hydrogenated but an occasional cookie is fine.

I doubt my grandmother used this recipe - I doubt she used ANY recipe which makes it impossible to replicate her food as her directions even when asked consisted of a bissel or half a jelly jar. LOL She wasn't being secretive - it was genuinely how she cooked. Now my aunt was secretive and she observed my grandmother making kreplach and wrote it down but was very cagy about sharing the recipe. Very Happy

As the notes indicate shortening will provide a different texture than either butter or liquid oil because of the different melting point of the fat.

Ruth’s Oatmeal Crisps

Excerpt From: Amanda Hesser - The Essential New York Times Cookbook

This is a great example of the power of shortening and salt in cookies. Butter would be too heavy and the cookies wouldn’t be quite as crisp and chewy, and without the salt, they would be too sweet. This recipe won the cookie contest at the 1966 Kentucky State Fair; Ruth is a friend of the winner, Martha Adkins.
———
MAKES ABOUT 5 DOZEN COOKIES

1½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups oats (not quick-cooking)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup golden raisins

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.

2. Beat the shortening and sugars in a large bowl just enough to blend well. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until thoroughly mixed. Add the oats and mix again. Add to the flour mixture, mixing well. Stir in the nuts and raisins.

3. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the parchment-lined baking sheets, 1½ inches apart. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool.

AUGUST 30, 1989: “STATE FAIRS FANCIER, BUT THE LURE IS STILL THAT BLUE RIBBON,” BY MOLLY O’NEILL. RECIPE ADAPTED FROM MARTHA ADKINS OF LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY, WINNER OF THE 1966 ARCHWAY COOKIE CONTEST AT THE KENTUCKY STATE FAIR.
—1989
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins