Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Vort dress styles -clueless
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:40 pm
chili-n-cholent wrote:
https://shopmezzo.com/collections/special-occasions/products/varied-circles-specialty-dress
https://shopmezzo.com/collecti.....-trim
https://shopmezzo.com/collecti.....ess-1
https://shopmezzo.com/collecti.....etrim
https://shopmezzo.com/collecti.....dress
Most of these dresses I’ve seen in store and they’re really pretty, mezzo has many more options

Good to know what is in style. If this is what stores are selling, I will save $ this year and not buy anything because I really don't like any of these styles. Thanks for the sneak preview

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:43 pm
DrMom wrote:
Good to know what is in style. If this is what stores are selling, I will save $ this year and not buy anything because I really don't like any of these styles. Thanks for the sneak preview

That's awesome! You are saving tons of money!!

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:37 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
What's a tenoyim?

Chassidim call it a tenoyim. Litvish call it a vort. MO call it an engagement party. It's all the same thing, I.e. a formal celebratory event that is not a lechaim.

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:53 pm
Chassidim call the l'chaim a vort. Other people call the party in a hall the vort, not always is a tenoyim signed.

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:05 pm
dankbar wrote:
Chassidim call the l'chaim a vort. Other people call the party in a hall the vort, not always is a tenoyim signed.

When chassidim get engaged, that first mazal tov moment is sometimes referred to as a vort and not a lechaim? I've never heard of that before. Interesting.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:07 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
Chassidim call it a tenoyim. Litvish call it a vort. MO call it an engagement party. It's all the same thing, I.e. a formal celebratory event that is not a lechaim.

Actually it’s not the same thing. The vort or lechaim is the engagement party, and the tanaim is where both sets of parents sign the tanaim, which chassidim consider to be very important and very hard to break.

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:11 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Actually it’s not the same thing. The vort or lechaim is the engagement party, and the tanaim is where both sets of parents sign the tanaim, which chassidim consider to be very important and very hard to break.

I stand corrected. I had been under the impression that right when you get engaged/make the announcement is called the lechaim. Then comes a formal celebration called a vort by my litvish/JPF friends, or a tenoyim if that is being signed by my chassidish circles, or an engagement party by my MO friends.

If the second (formal) event can be referred to as a lechaim, then what does the first even get called? Or does it not merit a name in that case?

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:33 pm
First party at home is called vort. L'chaim is usually referred to drinking l'chaim & serving lekach ( simple cake) by a rebbe which occurs between vort & tenayim or at making the shidduch- called shidduch shlissen. Some chassidus don't sign the shtar hatanayim but still call the party the tenoyim. Some will only refer to it as teller brechen ( breaking of plate ) if no tanayim is signed.
Gets confusing when different people call different events differently

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:35 pm
With takanus trying to reduce expenses people are combining one catch all event when getting engaged instead of partying 3 separate times

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:43 pm
DrMom wrote:

Really? I think they are so gorgeous, they were inspiring me to lose my quarantine weight...and then I ate a whole bar of chocolate Can't Believe It

tigerwife

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:00 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
When chassidim get engaged, that first mazal tov moment is sometimes referred to as a vort and not a lechaim? I've never heard of that before. Interesting.

My experience is like yours.
In my circles, the moment when the couple makes their engagement official is the l’chaim. Both families come to the bride’s house and drink a small l’chaim. Maybe some other close family and friends attend but it’s usually a small affair. The vort is the engagement party. It might be later on in the day after the l’chaim, or scheduled for another night. If chassidim sign a tenoyim at the engagement party, then the event is called a tenoyim.

SDmother

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:06 pm
https://www.junees.com/product....._ss=r

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:08 pm
SDmother wrote:
https://www.junees.com/products/collbran-dress?_pos=3&_sid=eae36951d&_ss=r

This is pretty but it's the type of dress girls wear for Shabbos so if the kallah wears it, she might be matching a lot of high school girls.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:17 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
I stand corrected. I had been under the impression that right when you get engaged/make the announcement is called the lechaim. Then comes a formal celebration called a vort by my litvish/JPF friends, or a tenoyim if that is being signed by my chassidish circles, or an engagement party by my MO friends.

If the second (formal) event can be referred to as a lechaim, then what does the first even get called? Or does it not merit a name in that case?

In our circles (my parents are not, my in laws are yeshivish) the lechaim is an informal thing right when you get engaged, just for family and maybe a few close friends. The lechaim is the fancy party for everyone. I believe only chassidim do tanaim, and I don’t know who goes to that.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:39 pm
Check out miri’s . Gorgeous . Pricy , but very classy, elegant and stylish.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:48 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
(Accidentally posted this on the spinoff thread did not realize there were 2 separate threads)
Spending more on a vort dress makes more sense to me than what people spend on a wedding dress. You can go to a Gemach for a wedding gown or even borrow. A few hundred for a vort dress is not crazy. The Kallah feels special and confident and almost always wears vort dress to her Shabbos Sheva Brachos and to all her friends weddings soon after. Whereas a wedding gown is only worn once. Most Kallahs I have seen lately wore long white dresses or floral but either to the floor or ankle maxi dress I guess. Something with sleeves is more in style (sometimes sleeves need to be lined) a jumper with a shell is not so in right now. Either Long floral or long while lace something very girlie/Victorian/Vintage is what’s in. Taupes and blushes too but mostly white or Ivory.

That sounds exactly like a wedding dress.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:53 am
Thanks everyone. I showed all the links to my daughter she chose one of them which she loved.

Interesting to see how style has evolved over the years..I never would have imagined those were the styles nowadays but she is happy with her choice.
Thanks for your help..

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:57 am
OP I'm so curious which dress did your daughter choose?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 5:05 pm
Another idea
https://www.dillards.com/p/ant.....D_BwE

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 5:25 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
In our circles (my parents are not, my in laws are yeshivish) the lechaim is an informal thing right when you get engaged, just for family and maybe a few close friends. The lechaim is the fancy party for everyone. I believe only chassidim do tanaim, and I don’t know who goes to that.

It's a fancy party for everyone
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics