Home

S\o amazing jobs chassidish men do without education
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


English3




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:48 am
I can list a handful.
IT technician
Accountant
Plumbers
Electrician
Mortgage broker
Business owners of hundreds of companies
The list goes on and on who wants to add more. I know Israeli chassidish guys doing amazing jobs while learning English in their 20s
Back to top

flmommy




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:01 am
Asking seriously how can you be an accountant without a formal education? Is that a job where you just study on your own and take a test or there is no test?
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:29 am
Almost none of those are possibly without higher math skills.

You'd also need to go to a trade school in order to be certified, and that is considered education.

I would never hire an electrician who just "figures it out as he goes along"!

BTW, in Israel, fluent English speakers who work in construction earn an average of 4 times what a Hebrew speaker makes, and 10 times what an Arab makes. They also have infinite advancement possibilities.

Not to mention the cultural barrier, that most Chassidish men would rather die than take a job where their hands get dirty. It would ruin their shidduch prospects, and the whole family would be ashamed.

Historically, it was not legal for Jews to join guilds, learn skills, or own land. Therefore the only jobs available to them were money lending and banking. Hence, the stereotype that Jews are only interested in money, and don't want to work hard. Cultural attitudes are hard to change.
Back to top

meiravit




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:31 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Not to mention the cultural barrier, that most Chassidish men would rather die than take a job where their hands get dirty. It would ruin their shidduch prospects, and the whole family would be ashamed.

Historically, it was not legal for Jews to join guilds, learn skills, or own land. Therefore the only jobs available to them were money lending and banking. Hence, the stereotype that Jews are only interested in money, and don't want to work hard. Cultural attitudes are hard to change.


Ouch! So many misconceptions that aren't true! Or at least very outdated!

Most of the electricians and plumbers I had both in EY when I lived there, and currently in the States, were chassidish.
Back to top

meme6




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:44 am
Nursing home owners
Real estate
Management
Photography
Video
Electrician
Plumber
Construction
Financial field
Own many large companies
And some go back to school from home
Back to top

gande




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:45 am
Wow! Why does not having an education mean you have no brains??? I graduated with honors but I would never in my life be able to fix a pipe or use a screwdriver. My husband does those things. Yes most jobs require training and chasidish men are bright from all the Gemara they learn and end up working hard and excelling in their field. Most careers require training in that specific area so no use of all the general education. We use chassidish accountant plumber morgage broker and more and we have been thrilled with their dedication and expertise. And for your info. My chassidish husband is a BCBA (board certified behavior specialist) and he went to a yeshiva that one of the worst with secular education. He has a bachelors, masters, and post masters degree. Yes, I helped him with the writing, grammar and spelling, his post masters was a lot of videos so it was easier for him, and he failed the licensing test twice but he worked hard and prevailed. He is amazing at what he does, and makes a nice six figure income.
Back to top

meme6




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Almost none of those are possibly without higher math skills.

You'd also need to go to a trade school in order to be certified, and that is considered education.

I would never hire an electrician who just "figures it out as he goes along"!

BTW, in Israel, fluent English speakers who work in construction earn an average of 4 times what a Hebrew speaker makes, and 10 times what an Arab makes. They also have infinite advancement possibilities.

Not to mention the cultural barrier, that most Chassidish men would rather die than take a job where their hands get dirty. It would ruin their shidduch prospects, and the whole family would be ashamed.

Historically, it was not legal for Jews to join guilds, learn skills, or own land. Therefore the only jobs available to them were money lending and banking. Hence, the stereotype that Jews are only interested in money, and don't want to work hard. Cultural attitudes are hard to change.


Sorry your completely wrong!!!

In the tristate the biggest plumbing companies are owned and employ Jews and they get there hands dirty same with electricians. And the only thing that would stop me doing a shidduch with a family is if the father is not working cause he needs a better job not if he is a taxi driver or a plumber .
Back to top

sky




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:54 am
Store manager
Nursing home manager - learn and get licensed in the job
Real estate
Own business - dh’s friend invested 30k in a business he knew nothing about. Now dies 20 million in sales and services a year
Manufacturing overseas
Amazon sales
Appliance repair
Locksmith
Hvac
Plumbers
Low voltage
IT
Electrician
Home design (Does home designs that are signed off and reviewed by architect)
Mortgage loans
Sell life insurance
Real estate agent
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:01 am
Nobody is saying that Chassidish men are stupid or incapable, CVS!

I think that point is that unless they have a good educational background, their potential is a lot more delayed. Things that they should have learned in 5th grade, have to be learned as adults. That is not easy, and I respect anyone who goes for higher education.

I don't doubt that Chassidish men hold all of the jobs listed, and do them competently. My point was more of how many men don't want those jobs, or are not able to get trained for them in the first place?

When you are married, and have a kid or two, there is usually no money to further secular education, unless your parent's are supporting you. You pay a ton of money for a Jewish education, just to have to go to college to learn how to add more than a few numbers, or to know the difference between their and there. That college money should be going towards learning new skills, not playing catch-up for all the subjects that were neglected when they were children.

As for my "history" lesson, of course it's outdated. That's kind of the definition of history! In the middle ages, especially in Europe, Jews had very limited options for work. Much like Pharoah, the non Jewish governments in charge were afraid that the Jews would become "too successful", so they passed every law they could to keep them from having decent employment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....itism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/....._Ages
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....Ages_(500-1500)
Back to top

meme6




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:07 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Nobody is saying that Chassidish men are stupid or incapable, CVS!

I think that point is that unless they have a good educational background, their potential is a lot more delayed. Things that they should have learned in 5th grade, have to be learned as adults. That is not easy, and I respect anyone who goes for higher education.

I don't doubt that Chassidish men hold all of the jobs listed, and do them competently. My point was more of how many men don't want those jobs, or are not able to get trained for them in the first place?

When you are married, and have a kid or two, there is usually no money to further secular education, unless your parent's are supporting you. You pay a ton of money for a Jewish education, just to have to go to college to learn how to add more than a few numbers, or to know the difference between their and there. That college money should be going towards learning new skills, not playing catch-up for all the subjects that were neglected when they were children.

As for my "history" lesson, of course it's outdated. That's kind of the definition of history! In the middle ages, especially in Europe, Jews had very limited options for work. Much like Pharoah, the non Jewish governments in charge were afraid that the Jews would become "too successful", so they passed every law they could to keep them from having decent employment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....itism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/....._Ages
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....Ages_(500-1500)



Nope not at all classified men I see work hard and persevere way harder then others. They don’t care to make there hands dirty most. Some choose the financial route. B&h has the most chassidish men working there making triple digit pay checks. My friends husband started as a handyman he’s a huge builder now , they don’t go to school in one field and only look for that field they experiment what’s good for them.
Back to top

momX4




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:09 am
flmommy wrote:
Asking seriously how can you be an accountant without a formal education? Is that a job where you just study on your own and take a test or there is no test?


You can take an accounting course. You don't need to go to college.

Some more jobs: some may need certification, some don't.

Computer programmer
Real estate agent
Graphic artist
Store manager
Plumber
Handyman (turned into builder after a few years)
Car mechanic


I know of many chasidish men, some with a Regent diploma and some with no HS English classes, that took their GED and went to school to continue their education.

PA
Degree in education
Airplane engineer (I forgot the correct term)
OT


I also have relatives that went to college, law school and are working blue collar jobs.

I personally am a believer in education. But I dont believe that education is the only route for financial success.
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:10 am
Disclaimer slightly edited voice to text

A lot of sales guys I work with are chassidsh very smart very knowledgeable guys I really appreciate them

also what I really appreciate the most is that they come to my office if I have a question and they they interact with me

I was going through a statement from one of the companies and something didn't make sense I told my aisle guy when the salesman comes in I need him to come to the office. He came to the office he sat there, and we had a conversation about the statement. he called his bookkeeper got all straightened out


Additionally if I have a question about their products I can send them an email or find them when they are visiting and they'll answer me.

but for a salesman I think you also need you need that personality It's also rather exhausting I remember one of them said that they're on the road 6 days out of the week. Because they go from store to store to take the orders and do the things and it can be a very exhausting job.

(By the way can someone tell me what this is a spin-off of)
Back to top

English3




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:12 am
DH came straight out of yeshiva got married with a basic English. He is extremely talented in IT a natural talent. His math skills were the basic but he learnt two years after marriage accountancy he naturally is mathematical. He is very handy with tools again natural talent. His English is now on a very high standard better than mine for sure. School is not the only solution.
Back to top

English3




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:13 am
singleagain wrote:
Disclaimer slightly edited voice to text



(By the way can someone tell me what this is a spin-off of)

Article about chassidish school in nyt
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:16 am
English3 wrote:
Article about chassidish school in nyt


Not off another thread here?Not off another thread here?
Back to top

Blessing1




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:20 am
DH runs a large company which requires many different skills. He took many training classes and he needed to learn a new language. He keeps taking new classes and courses and you wouldn't believe he didn't go to college or get a proper English education. My father is a child psychologist. He went to college at night for afew years to earn a degree. He was in his 30's at the time. It's never too late. Many many chassidish men take classes and courses for their jobs. If you have a gemara kup you can do anything.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

tp3




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:29 am
A lot of jobs offer training as well. A relative went from 0 to a good coding job because they offered fo train him in.

Also people who have a natural talent in a certain area do not need to sit through so much school for it. It's literally a waste of time. Natural skill and experience are worth a lot more than schooling.
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:29 am
FranticFrummie, I would bet on my leftover shmurah matza that its a lot more acceptable for a chassidishe man to be a plumber then for a M.O man.

The Lubavitcher rebbe was very into encouraging people to go into rabbanus. He felt that too many talented people were doing other things. He encouraged Rabbi Sacks to become a Rabbi. Can you imagine the loss to us all if he would have become a Cambridge don instead?

Many of my male relatives are therefore on shluchos, doing amazing work along with their wives.

I do know one chabad guy who is a doctor now after going to an Ohelei Torah type school.
Back to top

Blessing1




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:30 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Almost none of those are possibly without higher math skills.

You'd also need to go to a trade school in order to be certified, and that is considered education.

I would never hire an electrician who just "figures it out as he goes along"!

BTW, in Israel, fluent English speakers who work in construction earn an average of 4 times what a Hebrew speaker makes, and 10 times what an Arab makes. They also have infinite advancement possibilities.

Not to mention the cultural barrier, that most Chassidish men would rather die than take a job where their hands get dirty. It would ruin their shidduch prospects, and the whole family would be ashamed.

Historically, it was not legal for Jews to join guilds, learn skills, or own land. Therefore the only jobs available to them were money lending and banking. Hence, the stereotype that Jews are only interested in money, and don't want to work hard. Cultural attitudes are hard to change.


I think every single point you wrote here is completely wrong. Chassidish men go to trade school and take classes and courses for their jobs. Chassidish men definitely get their hands dirty. A large percentage of plumbers, electricians, handymen,.... in the tri state area are Chassidish. They're not ashamed and it doesn’t ruin their shidduch prospects. A licensed plumber or electrician brings in loads of money. It's a very lucrative job. Everyone goes for training and classes. It's not easy to become licensed. Non chassidish men are more into white collar high class jobs than chassidish men. A chassidish man would do a dirty job way faster than a non chassidish guy.
You have the wrong picture of chassidim.


Last edited by Blessing1 on Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:41 am
Raisin wrote:
FranticFrummie, I would bet on my leftover shmurah matza that its a lot more acceptable for a chassidishe man to be a plumber then for a M.O man.


I guess it all depends on the circles you are used to being in. I know lots of MO guys who work with their hands, and one plumber in particular who is busy all year round without a break (unless there is a union strike. He hates sitting idle!)

I think that because there is the word "Chassidish" in the title, that people are getting a wee bit defensive.

In no way am I implying that there is something inherently less capable about Chassidim. I was only referring back to the NYT article, and the state of some schools. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....25124

Schools have a LOT of room for improvement, and it saddens me that extremely bright kids are only getting the bare bones of what it takes to succeed in business. As Mark Twain once said "I got an education in spite of my schooling."

Those who succeed are doing so because they go above and beyond. Kol haKavod!


(BTW, I graduated high school with a GED, and never went to college. I've only ever had an entry level position in companies. When I ran my jewelry business, I made so many mistakes at first, that cost me a fortune in bad planning!)
Back to top
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 6 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
How do morahs get jobs? in NY
by amother
107 Sun, May 09 2021, 11:55 pm View last post
Lakewood men's clothing gmach
by amother
0 Thu, May 06 2021, 4:31 pm View last post
How necessary is a bachelors degree/jobs without.
by amother
20 Thu, May 06 2021, 12:09 pm View last post
Need help with jobs 8 Wed, May 05 2021, 9:58 am View last post
Pj's for Men
by amother
4 Tue, May 04 2021, 8:37 pm View last post