Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S\o amazing jobs chassidish men do without education
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

nosher

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:42 am
To my knowledge, there are chassidish men who work in the insurance industry and earn $800,000 plus. Others are in plumbing, finance, IT, store owners, nursing home administration, shipping and additional fields. All are earning nicely to support their family and to marry off their children without begging or borrowing. BH!

I know several other chassidish men who are working in the educational and therapeutic fields. Some are speech therapists, BCBAs etc... others work in the administration in large businesses.

It’s amazing what one can do if determined. Many of these jobs did not require college schooling. In fact, the ones with the college degrees often earn less (up to $200,000-250,000 max) than the ones in other fields whose potential is endless.

All of the above went to strictly chassidishe schools.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I guess it all depends on the circles you are used to being in. I know lots of MO guys who work with their hands, and one plumber in particular who is busy all year round without a break (unless there is a union strike. He hates sitting idle!)

I think that because there is the word "Chassidish" in the title, that people are getting a wee bit defensive.

In no way am I implying that there is something inherently less capable about Chassidim. I was only referring back to the NYT article, and the state of some schools. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....25124

Schools have a LOT of room for improvement, and it saddens me that extremely bright kids are only getting the bare bones of what it takes to succeed in business. As Mark Twain once said "I got an education in spite of my schooling."

Those who succeed are doing so because they go above and beyond. Kol haKavod!

(BTW, I graduated high school with a GED, and never went to college. I've only ever had an entry level position in companies. When I ran my jewelry business, I made so many mistakes at first, that cost me a fortune in bad planning!)

Lack of education does not hold back a chassidish guy from going into the business world and succeeding. Only a loser will blame their problems on lack of proper education. Whoever really wants to succeed & be good at what they're doing, puts in the work it takes. You can do anything you set your heart to even if you didn't get a proper education. There are classes and courses available on just about everything.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

HakarasHatov

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:54 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Almost none of those are possibly without higher math skills.

You'd also need to go to a trade school in order to be certified, and that is considered education.

I would never hire an electrician who just "figures it out as he goes along"!

BTW, in Israel, fluent English speakers who work in construction earn an average of 4 times what a Hebrew speaker makes, and 10 times what an Arab makes. They also have infinite advancement possibilities.

Not to mention the cultural barrier, that most Chassidish men would rather die than take a job where their hands get dirty. It would ruin their shidduch prospects, and the whole family would be ashamed.

Historically, it was not legal for Jews to join guilds, learn skills, or own land. Therefore the only jobs available to them were money lending and banking. Hence, the stereotype that Jews are only interested in money, and don't want to work hard. Cultural attitudes are hard to change.

Btw, I work in construction, and from my experience the best way to learn any of these trades (plumbing, electric, mechanics, etc.) is on the job training. Anyone who just has education still is at a disadvantage because they still need to do on the job training to know what they are doing. This kind of work has to be practiced, and someone who spends 4 years in the field would be more advanced than someone who spent 4 years in school.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:58 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I guess it all depends on the circles you are used to being in. I know lots of MO guys who work with their hands, and one plumber in particular who is busy all year round without a break (unless there is a union strike. He hates sitting idle!)

I think that because there is the word "Chassidish" in the title, that people are getting a wee bit defensive.

In no way am I implying that there is something inherently less capable about Chassidim. I was only referring back to the NYT article, and the state of some schools. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....25124

Schools have a LOT of room for improvement, and it saddens me that extremely bright kids are only getting the bare bones of what it takes to succeed in business. As Mark Twain once said "I got an education in spite of my schooling."

Those who succeed are doing so because they go above and beyond. Kol haKavod!

(BTW, I graduated high school with a GED, and never went to college. I've only ever had an entry level position in companies. When I ran my jewelry business, I made so many mistakes at first, that cost me a fortune in bad planning!)

FF I'm not Chassidish and I'm not defensive at all, so it's not that.

It's a fact that there is literally no problem for a Chassidish man to do basically anything. I live in the heavily Chassidish tri-state area and I can tell you that they literally do anything and they're not at all embarrassed. So this point is just plain wrong.

As for succeeding in business - lol, I have to say that Chassidim (and Sefardim) probably own most of the businesses we deal with. There are Chassidim that are HUGELY successful in business b'h, and you can make MUCH more in business than you can ever make as a doctor. Saying this seriously.

I also want to say that learning chumash, halachah and gemarah for almost 20 years, 12 hours a day, really does prepare someone for way more than you would think. These men are FAR from uneducated.

I was recently listening to a halachah shiur on business and it was suddenly clear to me why our frum men are able to transition so easily to the business world - all the business concepts that I worked so hard to learn for my business degree, are discussed in gemarah and shulchan aruch. I would say that they learn just as much (if not more) in yeshivah than I ever learned in college.

tymama

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:01 am
Some of the most talented workers I’ve hired to do work in my house were chassidish. I find them honest and trustworthy.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:05 am
It takes a lot of perseverance and learning. There are night classes for the young men that teach them basics of English and grammar, Computer programs and how to write emails.
My husband has gone to countless such classes, as well as seminars in the field he was interested in.
They don’t get a college education but they do learn about the fields they want to go into.
I think because they have the limited English education it’s a little harder for them, but once they learn they manage beautifully thankfully to their brains and mazal.

ssspectacular

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:15 am
Yup! Chassidishe guys know that Parnossa is from Hashem and not based on a degree. Not that I am against college, but it is not the panacea that is promised.

professor

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:21 am
There is zero connection between how educated one is to how successful they are in life or parnassa.
Only Hashem holds those keys.

professor

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:22 am
ssspectacular wrote:
Yup! Chassidishe guys know that Parnossa is from Hashem and not based on a degree. Not that I am against college, but it is not the panacea that is promised.

Ha you said it better than me

clowny

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:52 am
We once had this conversation in our family that turned into a very heated argument.
The fact is that most very successful businesses are owned by chassidshe guys coming out of yeshiva, where the only thing they learned was 1-2 hours a day of English classes that consisted of simple math and spelling. Most got married at age 18-20 and obviously had zero education.
I don’t see the ones who have a good education and/or college degree etc. doing any better than the typical chassidish guy that I described above.

clowny

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Almost none of those are possibly without higher math skills.

You'd also need to go to a trade school in order to be certified, and that is considered education.

I would never hire an electrician who just "figures it out as he goes along"!

BTW, in Israel, fluent English speakers who work in construction earn an average of 4 times what a Hebrew speaker makes, and 10 times what an Arab makes. They also have infinite advancement possibilities.

Not to mention the cultural barrier, that most Chassidish men would rather die than take a job where their hands get dirty. It would ruin their shidduch prospects, and the whole family would be ashamed.

Historically, it was not legal for Jews to join guilds, learn skills, or own land. Therefore the only jobs available to them were money lending and banking. Hence, the stereotype that Jews are only interested in money, and don't want to work hard. Cultural attitudes are hard to change.

Oh please...
I’m not even sure why I’m quoting this sentence as I’m soooo speechless. You must really not know too many chassidishe men.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:58 am
momX4 wrote:
You can take an accounting course. You don't need to go to college.

Try again. In the US, you need to have a college degree in accounting to take the CPA exam. There are a small number of jobs in accounting that don't require a CPA, but the salary tops out well below CPA salaries.

clowny

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:03 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Try again. In the US, you need to have a college degree in accounting to take the CPA exam. There are a small number of jobs in accounting that don't require a CPA, but the salary tops out well below CPA salaries.

I think this is wrong. There are several CPA chassidish accountants in my community, satmar yeshiva students, who- trust me- have no college degree.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:05 am
clowny wrote:
I think this is wrong. There are several CPA chassidish accountants in my community, satmar yeshiva students, who- trust me- have no college degree.

That's simply not possible. You do need a college degree to sit for the CPA exam.

(Maybe they're not actual CPA's?)

ecs

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:09 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
That's simply not possible. You do need a college degree to sit for the CPA exam.

(Maybe they're not actual CPA's?)

I have several relatives, satmar graduates, with cpa degrees. They went to tuoro or night school after getting married. Yeshiva counts as some college credits. it's fairly common nowadays.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:12 am
ecs wrote:
I have several relatives, satmar graduates, with cpa degrees. They went to tuoro or night school after getting married. Yeshiva counts as some college credits. it's fairly common nowadays.

I'm not sure what you're saying. You can get a degree from Touro (Touro is a college) and you can get a degree online. But you cannot sit for the CPA without a college degree.

freilich

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:12 am
ssspectacular wrote:

Never mind, they also don't find themselves with college bills in the 30's. I wonder why no one mentions that.

While chasidish men, are at a disadvantage in regards to secular subjects, and most don't even have rudimentary English skills, they can make up by taking courses, and learning on the job. On the other hand, spending 4 years at college, and learning so much stuff that isn't related to the subject matter, you want to really focus on, is a waste of time, energy, and money.

I have a friend who graduated college, and sends her kids there as well. Brilliant person, she always tells me "useless knowledge ".

sky

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:15 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Depends on the community. Some book keepers where I live can make 6 figure salaries easily if they are good for under full time. Maybe they will never make partner a PCW in Manhattan but they will also never work those hours or have that stress.

If you look at threads about salaries in frum communities they are higher then other communities for ppl without degrees. It’s very hard to apply rules from other cities.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:18 am
clowny wrote:

They probably do but you don't know about it. They probably did online or night classes to get their degree.

STMommy

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:19 am
Has anyone else noticed that most of the men profiled in the business part of Ami are yeshiva guys/chassidim who list the mosdos/yeshivos they attended immediately followed by going into business? And these men are millionaires? Now of course that might be Ami's agenda but every week they have another guy like this to profile and interview.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics